Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

I've been able to do a little light work in my greenhouse this morning which is pretty significant.
I was on crutches today but it was easy and pain free

Wow, look at you! I go away for a couple of weeks and come back to find you gardening -- pain free.

Such great news, my friend!
 
@benne68 You're back :flwrysmile:

Hope you had a wonderful holiday! Yes, two weeks and what a difference. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch but yesterday was my most active day yet. Multiple garden walks, chores and the greenhouse. What thrilled me most was a single 500ml anti-inflammatory in the morning and just a precautionary 2 paracetamol before bed. I iced a couple of times for a bit of swelling as an alternative to taking any medication and it worked a dream. After a bit of a rest with ice, I was back up.
 
Well done @Deni444 :yahoo: Just be careful to still factor in some rest! Not that I would make that mistake…… hmmm……maybe…so easy to get excited and overdo it. I'm not quite back in the over done it club but was certainly hobbling that direction. :heehee:
 
I'm walking a fine line @IndigoKnee :heehee:

Not quite overdoing it but like you just short of it, suspect. I'm currently sat icing after a short session in my greenhouse. Basically just filling a small watering can and balancing it on the handle of my crutches and then watering a few pots. Picked up a few garden canes and moved them. That seemed to be enough of a session to make my legs grumble today. I'm trying to just listen to the aches that come on and rest when they do. After about half an hour, I get up and see how much life my legs have got until I need to rest again. I think everything is still pretty weak. Not just from surgery but a considerable time of inactivity before surgery. I'm already much more active than I was before surgery and that makes me so happy... So each day is an absolute joy at the moment.
 
I think everything is still pretty weak. Not just from surgery but a considerable time of inactivity before surgery.
Yes! This is so true. We forget that, as our hips deteriorated and we moved less, our muscle strength diminished. Rebuilding is a slooowww process. You can't rush it.

each day is an absolute joy at the moment.
I love your attitude!
 
Deni
Sounds like you are doing very well & totally understand the ups & downs of recovery.
Hey, I overdid it Saturday planting flowers! I have these cement cinder blocks that you’d see maybe used in a foundation or wall. Well several years ago I bought about 30 of them, spray painted them, turned them upside down so the holes are facing up & sunk them into front of my walkways. They make an excellent planter!
So Saturday I went to my local nursery & bought my flowers, came home grabbed my bag of miracle grow & started refreshing the planters with new dirt, then planted. Well up & down & on my hands & knees & dragging the loam around got to me. When I stood for final time top of my thigh & back were screaming!
In the house I came & got out my trusty ice pack & sat for about an hour with it on my back & rubbed top of my thigh with biofreeze. In about an hour I was ready to move again.
I should have planted in shifts but my impatient self just had to get it all done!
I’m a veteran & still learning!
Only difference is I recover quicker now than before when I let my impatience take over.
 
Six week post Op Update: Left THR cemented posterior

The headline news at the 6 week milestone is that I'm doing everything I could do prior to surgery and more, albeit with a crutch in each hand. I was quite disabled prior to surgery and so my recovery is unique to my particular circumstances.

Here's a list of what I could do with pain and difficulty prior to surgery but now can do easily and pain free on crutches at the 6 week recovery point:
  • Hoovering & Dusting
  • Laundry
  • Baking bread
  • Cooking the meals
  • Showering
  • Sleeping
  • Grooming the dog
  • Sitting on an unmodified toilet
  • Washing up the pots
Things I can now do (on crutches) that I could NOT do before THR surgery with 2 walking sticks:
  • Walk around the garden
  • Light gardening in my greenhouse
  • Cook without pain and with fewer breaks
  • Climb the steps to my decked area in the garden
  • Take less medication
  • A light clean of the kitchen and it only takes an hour (it could take all day before)
My legs still feel quite weak and they lack stamina and I'm trying to increase the amount of walking I can do. My right knee on my yet to be replaced hip side is flaring up when I walk making it a challenge. The crutches help with that and I'm strapping it so I can keep going.
 
Today was my first post surgery weigh in. I'm 4 lb heavier that's 1.8 kilogrammes. Not too bad considering. Probably the metal :rotfl:
 
@Deni444 Well done with all you are now able to do! :happydance:Actually maybe not spin round like this…….
It’s great isn’t it gradually managing chores etc. I very carefully managed to water some of my garden pots this morning as we have had no rain here for ages. Only half filled a small watering can and whilst keeping a crutch in the other hand then moving slowly watching where I put my feet. Now sitting in the shade with a coffee.
Wish I could tick sleeping on my list as I'm still struggling with that.

Weigh in? Nothing to do with operation? I’m sure metal of the hip VERY heavy :heehee: Seriously I don’t think you should be worried about any weight increase at the moment, just focus on recovery - you are doing great!
 
@Deni444 It sounds like you are doing really well. It's amazing how milestones really give you a lift, even if it is household chores. Do not worry about your weight. I put weight due to my inactivity but it soon goes the more active you become.
Glad you are well, have a lovely weekend.
 
:wave: Thanks for the encouragement and kind words @Trotter

Have a great weekend yourself and hope your new medication is getting to work!

@IndigoKnee Thank you! I hang my small watering can from the handle of my crutch. I've attached a little rope to it. As for sleeping, fortunately I learnt eventually to sleep well on my back prior to surgery.

As for the weight of these new hips. I'd best come clean :heehee:

Mr Google AI said this:
'A metal hip implant typically weighs between 14 to 18 ounces (0.875 to 1.125 pounds). A natural bone hip joint, while not easily quantified with a single weight, would be significantly less due to the density of bone being lower than metal."

SWS_HJohan Witt, Orthopaedic Surgeon at University College London
 
Last edited:
Oh Deni444, you are doing so well! Keep up your great attitude and your progress!
 
As others have commented, please focus on healing.
You will naturally return to your goal weight with little stress and effort.
But right now, focus on recovery.
 
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement @Zorro I'm definitely not dieting yet, just trying to keep my eye on healthy and nutritional options.
 
Had another video call with my physio today. He was really pleased and said the progress since my last appointment three weeks ago was like 'night and day'. Cheered me up because it's easy to think that there isn't that much progress. I tend to fall into the trap of moping about what I still can't do or the things I'd like to be doing when I'm having to rest in-between all the things I'm doing :heehee:

I'm taking less medication than I was pre surgery, sleeping well and walking two laps around the garden on top of all the chores around the house. Massive change really.
 
I tend to fall into the trap of moping about what I still can't do or the things I'd like to be doing when I'm having to rest in-between all the things I'm doing
I think this happens to all of us during recovery. Something that really helped me gain perspective was documenting my "achievements."

Once a week or so, I would list of all the things -- just like you did in your post -- that I was able to do. I also had a list of the things I was looking forward to being able to do in the future. Every few weeks, I'd go back and read about my earlier accomplishments (and struggles!) As items moved from one list to the other, I saw real progress and it helped me stay positive.
 
Yes, yes, yes Deni444! You go, gurlll!
And yes, as Benne68 counseled, consider making lists and/or keeping a journal of your progress to increase your own awareness and to make it more visible and tangible.

More progress is on the way!
Celebrate! Celebrate!
 
I’ve probably mentioned this many times here but it bears repeating. I think when you do something spontaneously that you couldn’t do a week or a month ago it’s one of the greatest moments & morale boosters in recovery.
Deni just keep on keeping on. You are doing great!
 
Back
Top Bottom