Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
mbtokyo, Hi, Mike,

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I don't think the nurses actually knew what would happen in every case -- they were probably generalizing. In any case, I have already decided I am NOT going to use the bedpan, so I have calmed down. It is strange how easy it is to start to obsess about small things as the date grows closer. I do feel confident that everything will be OK.

So glad you visited the Morikami website and enjoyed the pictures. The place itself is so beautiful and calming. It is too hot right now to go out for long walks, and I'm not really up to it anyway, at this point. But I am definitely going to rejoin after my surgery, once the weather cools off a bit. Thanks for the sunshine -- it is a totally different color than the sunshine here in Florida -- a softer light. I'm going to keep it for a while!

It would be amazing to visit Japan. Maybe someday, but travel isn't in the cards right now.

I'll continue to follow your postings, and we will keep a good thought for each other. Is your wife calmer and more confident about her decision and upcoming surgery at this point?

Cheers!
 
Hi Mike.. Our Indigenous culture... One of my favorite clips.. Thought you might like it..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=4_ymF8422dM

Where we plan to retire next year we have a very strong Indigenous culture and the land is very sacred .. I can't wait to engage more with the Elders..

Hugs from down under
 
Hi BeckyR,
Glad you liked the picture, and I understand about obsessing on little things as the time draws near. Each person approaches surgery in a different manner, but I think the main thing is that no matter how it is approached, the person needs to be confident that things will be fine. That is why I agree with everyone here that you need to be COMPLETELY happy with your choice of surgeon. I know you will be fine and look forward to hearing of your successful recovery post-op.

My wife's date has been set for September 10th, and since that was decided things have really calmed down. A little over two months to go and that gives us plenty of time to prepare the house, meals, etc. She is incredibly strong and once she makes her mind up, nothing gets in her way. She loves her surgeon and feels very confident.

As for travel, maybe not in the near future, but when you heal up, you may change your mind!

All the best,

Mike
 
Oh Poppet, that was wonderful! It sounds like you have a very interesting time to look forward to with the Elders and I wish you peace and happiness in this journey.

When I visited Melbourne, I would stay at the Marriott at the corner of Exibition and Lonsdale. I'd walk down to the CBD and there was a shop that specialized in selling Aboriginal art. Beutiful pieces and always wanted to buy something and told myself I'd do it next visit. Now that I don't go down anymore, I'm kicking myself for my mistake!

Oh well, hopefully I'll get the chance to rectify that!

Mike

attached is sunset from our balcony with Mt. Fuji in the background.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo
    Sunset.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 293
How beautiful Mike, what a lovely backdrop to the end of a day...

We have a rich diversity at the organization I work at and we are encouraged to work with our Indigenous colleagues in art classes and workshops. Our colleagues draw the outlines, such as snakes and lizards and then we paint in the colors, and the typical dots of paint.. Some beautiful pieces to take away from the workshops with.
 
Poppet how great is that?! Sounds like lots of fun and at the end you get something beautiful to take home.

Mike
 
Poppet
My sincerest apologies for being remiss in my responding, as I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your attentiveness to all of us in the bonesmart "family" (and it really is a wonderful fraternity). I will contact you in the next week or so with an idea I've been thinking about in line with the alumni postings for 2011 an 2012 grads. When I first discovered the site, I spent hours reading those two postings to see what life was like down the line for those who underwent his life changing event.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to read the testimonies of those that have gone before and to read the wonderful end result of one to two years of work. That is what got us moving toward the right direction. From my reading of countless people the most anxious time is the first three to six months. This is something hat I hope people can realize is a very up and down time but once you get there for most folks things seem to get better after. Again, please forgive the vague outline but I promise to to be more specific soon. Too much travel now! Lastly, don't worry about saying no, as in my wok that is the daily expectation!

Thanks for listening

Mike
 
mbtokyo

Hi Mike, nice to hear from you - whenever :) there is no hard and fast rule time wise in replying...

But of course now you have me intrigued !

Take care, best wishes from OZ.
 
Mike, I am a 2012 alum here, and check in often to see what's going on, and post
my own updates.
One item i am curious about with your wife's HR is what materials are they planning
on using?
I had researched HR early on after I was told I needed both hips replaced, and ended
up with THR. During my initial visits with the surgeon we were talking of going with
HR but there was a chance that during removal of some other hardware from surgeries
35 years ago he may have had to go THR anyways. As we got closer, that changed, and
we only talked about THR, and i'm thinking it was due to the MOM issues that were becoming
more common.
I had always wondered why there wasn't a hybrid procedure, the HR with the ceramic components
to reduce the MOM and now it looks like there may be that option available.
I have to say that my recovery has been great, i feel great, and am living my life with no
issues stemming from my THR. So in the long run, i'm not so sure there was really all that
much to gain with HR over THR, as I believe the long term restrictions are similar. I don't
believe either procedure recommends high impact (running , jumping) after surgery, but
there are a lot of other sports that can be participated in. I am an ice hockey player, and
have been back at that since 4 months into my recovery.
Keep us posted, and let your wife know that she's not alone (i'm sure you have already
done that). There's tons of great support here at B.S.!
 
cnydutch, how nice to hear from you and to read that life has improved and you are back playing your ice hockey.. Fantastic!

btw, love your avatar :)
 
Thanks Poppet,
it's been a while since I posted regularly, but i try to peek in each day or so.

i thought my avatar was quite cool myself!
thanks
 
Hi Poppet
Too busy now to write anything so have to put it off (which means I'll forget!). Didn't mean to tease just flat out like a lizard drinking - man, you Aussies have some of the coolest slang!
Cheers
Mike
 
cnydutch
Great to have comment!! Thanks for sharing your experience as every bit of data needs to be considered and so happy you are back playing hockey. Probably the hardest sport to do as the speed and physicality of the game are amazing to watch.

As for my wife, she likes the HR procedure as it allows her to keep her femur head, a very important thing for a person from a Buddhist culture. Another reason was my 50 year old step brother in San Diego did HR a year ago and has a fantastic result, as he plays soccer, runs, plays tennis and just got back from a six day 56 mile back back trip in Yosemite with 40 lbs pack. Lastly, if you look on the first page of my thread you'll see Josephine comment on HR and its recent advances and that was a big help. Also, she really likes her surgeon and that clinched it for her.

Bit of a long read there and apologies for that. Surgery is September 10th and will post on the recovery as much as possible.

Keep on enjoying yourself as it sounds like you do a good job on that front!

Mike
 
She'll be right mate!

Just a few more for you Mike :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo
    image.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 324
Ha! Poppet
The thee I don't know, and would appreciate translation from Aussie to Seppo, are:

You little bottler
Don't come the raw prawn
A kangaroo loose in the top paddock (although I think that one is easily understood!)

Mike
 
Hehehe...

Don't come the raw prawn = don't try to put one over me!

You little bottler = you little beauty!

How about... "come a cropper" = to fall heavily, something we don't want or lovely wife to do!

Don't worry, by the time you get to visit OZ, I will have you conversing in our crazy language, lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom