Guest viewing is limited

Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Poppet,

Wow, that is really great that you've lived in every state. Such a diverse place in terrain and climate. I'd love to get out to Perth sometime and visit the Margaret River area to do some wineries. Leeuwin Estatates would be top on my list so hope to get there sometime. I remember hearing some time ago that there were plans to build a high speed rail line from Darwin through Alice Springs all the way to Melbourne, if memory serves. Is that still on?

My wife's LHR surgery has been confirmed for September 10th, so from now until then we'll be preparing using the material from the library.

Many thanks,

Mike
 
Hi Mike mbtokyo! Sounds like you have really come a long way in this process. Yes, the idea that a person how has been healthy all their life needs major surgery is a shock. I remember that shock - it takes time to let things sink in. Keep reading and posting - it does help! And be sure and keep us updated on your wife's progress. You are indeed a part of this international family!
 
Hi Jaycey !!
Great to hear from you again and you are so right that both my wife and I have come a long way in this process. It's posts like Josephine's the other day describing the success rate of HR surgery by the top surgeon in the field that can really make the difference. Your understanding of her feelings about the situation is one of main reasons I read this site. Its very reassuring to hear other people who have experienced the same thing that my wife is going to go through.

My wife doesn't read the site, but she does notice after I get done doing so and come out with a big smile on my face and explain things to her. It is also wonderful to tell her about the fantastic results that people here talk about and that, as BeckyR says, "better days are ahead!" Amen to that!

For me, it also helps that a large part of the members here are women, as I believe it helps me with possibly anticipating my wife's concerns and that has been a great help. The community here really is a fantastic support group. I really do appreciate comments from all of you and offer my heart felt thanks.

I am so happy right now with how things are going, I'm going to post a picture of a Japanese garden I took on April first - the traditional day of cherry blossom festival, or in Japanese, O-hanami. Unfortunately, it was a cold spring and the cherry blossoms weren't cooperating, but the plum tree in the middle of the picture was in bloom. I'll have to post it separately as it's on my iPad.

Lastly, thanks for welcoming me to the Bonesmart family! It truly is an amazing international group.

Mike

p.s. Please accept my apologies for all the typos as I am a terrible proof reader
 
Jaycey

Japanese garden with koi pond. You'll notice the koi pond below is used for my avatar. I just walked up and took their picture. Both taken with my iPhone 5. The idiot proof camera for people like me!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo
    image.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 367
Oh mb!! That is sooo beautiful it almost made me cry! I am something of a gardener (which actually just meansI have a garden!) so I appreciate something like that. Thank you so much for sharing it.
 
mbtokyo, The picture of the Japanese garden is so beautiful! We have a magnificent Japanese garden and museum here in Delray Beach -- the Morikami -- you may have heard of it. I had a membership and used to go on long walks through the gardens there. They have a website you can visit if you are unfamiliar with the Morikami. I think you'd find it interesting. It contains multiple kinds of Japanese gardens -- all wonderful. One of my favorite places. After I recover from my surgery, I am going to renew my membership and begin taking long walks there again. One of my favorite parts is the singing bamboo garden.
 
I am so happy you like the picture Josephine and you are most welcome. The English and Japanese share a love for both gardens and tea, so I hope you are able to enjoy a "cuppa" in your's soon! I'm sure it looks just fine as my mother always told me that with a garden, the work is never done so its always a project in the works.

Attached is a picture I took of Mt. Fuji while flying to Shimane. You'll notice in the upper right and lower left corners where I didn't quite crop it properly, but hopefully nobody will notice!

Mike
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo
    Mt. Fuji 30,000 ft..JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 339
Hi BeckyR and I am so glad to hear from you again. Thanks for the kind words on the picture, as these new smart phones make photography so easy. Yes, I have heard of the Morikami! Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to visit. I believe the translation means Gods of the wood - Mori = woods, kami = Gods. But it depends on the actual kanji used so I could be off (wouldn't be the first time, and it sure won't be the last!).

Balboa Park in San Diego is building a Japanese garden and when I was last there in February it was nearly complete. Next time I visit my mother promised we would go as she really enjoyed her visit here, especially when we went to Kyoto for a day. So much history and beautiful classical Japanese architecture. I was lucky enough to live there for three months and every weekend made sure I got out to see as much as possible.

My wife said something very clever yesterday about her HR surgery. She said that she is looking at it as the same as getting a filling in a tooth. Her reasoning is that our teeth are bones, and we routinely go in and have metal placed in them, so this is pretty much the same thing and nothing to get too excited over. Her biggest concern now is when she goes in to give blood to be used for her surgery. They take 400 cc twice and she is worried about passing out, so I'll go with her to make sure all is well. But on the whole, things are looking fine.

All my best to you and your husband.

Mike
 
My wife said something very clever yesterday about her HR surgery. She said that she is looking at it as the same as getting a filling in a tooth. Her reasoning is that our teeth are bones, and we routinely go in and have metal placed in them, so this is pretty much the same thing and nothing to get too excited over. Her biggest concern now is when she goes in to give blood to be used for her surgery. They take 400 cc twice and she is worried about passing out, so I'll go with her to make sure all is well. But on the whole, things are looking fine.

What a clever way for your wife to think about her THR Mike - smart lady... Love your photos, very inspiring.

Ah! Western Australia is my home state and I know Margaret River very well.. Used to surf a lot on that part of the coastline.. And well the vineyards in the west are exceptional, even if I am a little biased.. :)
 
Thanks Poppet. I just got home and am happy to see your post. She is clever, isn't she? I truly believe she is going to be so happy with the outcome. I will have to be very vigilant in watching to make sure she doesn't get too over confident and over do it and then pays the price the next day. After reading many, many threads here that seems to be the oft repeated theme. Know your limits and there's no shame is resting/napping/taking it easy to live to fight another day.

Thanks for your kind words about the photos. It is very easy in Japan as there are so many wonderful things to see here, so no credit to me.

Oh, you're from WA, eh? Fantastic and you have every right to be as biased as you please because there are some world class wines coming out of that region! Of course, I have James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion and find it to be an invaluable resourse. He lists Leeuwin Estate's Art Series Chardonay as the worlds best, and I was lucky enought to have a couple of glasses a few years back and can't argue with that. We also are lucky that we have a company here called Vintage Cellars that offers a select group of Australian wines that you can order with delivery to your door. I believe the company is originally from Australia? The one here is run by a couple (American husband, Japanese wife) who love Australian wines and thank goodness for that! I must admit that I love Australian Shiraz. Your Pinot is also wonderful. James Halliday is part owner of Cold Stream Vineyards and they make an excellent Pinot that is available in stores here.

Cheers,

Mike
 
Oh Poppet! You naughty young lady, you! Now I'm going to have to watch myself to not push recovery too hard! Thank you for the links as you read my mind on what we would like to do once we have full recovery. So many wonderful wineries to visit! My wife lived in Brisbane for a year in her younger days and loves Australia, so I can see us visiting the Big Southern Land at some point.

Thank you

Mike
 
For no other reason than that I am bored, attached is a picture at sunset in San Diego as we were coming back from fishing for the afternoon on a commercial boat with lots of other people. The boat was rocking up and down and I got lucky to snap the pic at that split second between when the rocking hits bottom and right before it stats back up. I love my iPhone!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left hip resurfacing - Tokyo
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 338
mbtokyo, Hi, Mike. So glad your wife has found a way to accommodate this surgery within her cultural and religious beliefs. As Josephine wrote, it also involves a very tiny fraction of bone. More than anything, I'm glad you and your wife are moving forward, because I'm sure the relief she obtains will override everything else -- all the fears and concerns that came before.

I think that Kyoto is a sister city of Delray Beach (near where I live), but I may be mistaken. Kyoto is supposed to be such a beautiful city. I love Japanese art, poetry, gardens, and the whole aesthetic. So filled with harmony and serenity. You can see pictures of the Morikami at www.Morikami.org. There are six gardens -- each a rendition (not a replica) of a different Japanese garden, from a different historic period. So beautiful!

You and your wife are in my thoughts, and I will follow your progress on this forum!
 
Oh BeckyR that is so beautiful! Going through the pictures of the various gardens was wonderful. They are beautiful renditions, and the one that made me gasp is the Late Rock (Sekitei) Muromachi Period. That is a fantastic rendition of one of Japan's most famous Zen temple garden in Kyoto. Specifically the one at the bottom of the page which reminds me of the Tigress and her cubs garden. Someday I hope to have a chance to visit and I also hope you and your husband have a chance to visit Kyoto.

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts, and I will be following you closely on July 10th so please let us know how things go and we'll all make sure to send our enouragement! As you often say, "better days are ahead!"

Mike
 
Hi Poppet,

Wow, that certainly looks like a great time! I will definitely keep this in mind and bookmark that site. About 8 years ago we had dinner with the husband of the owner. Vintage Cellar sends members invites to special dinners that feature an Australian wine maker at very nice restaurants. When the chance came to go to the Leeuwin Estates dinner, I jumped on it. Nice man and very funny. We got to sample several of their wines and it was a great evening.

Many thanks,

Mike
 
All Aussies are nice Mike.... Hehehehehe !
 
Yes you are :)

We love having you on the forum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom