Hi @NoraJ
It was kind of you to attempt to help a friend. I'm sorry you are now physically
suffering because of it. Hopefully with a little rest you've made it back to where you were.
Wishing you have a good visit with the OS next week and a relaxing / healing rest of this week.
Hi Nora. Had you on my mind. Wondering how you've been. I have been super busy with food bank business, having a sustainability issue and I've been tapping into all possible resources for soliciting funds.
I hate begging for money, even for a good cause. I'm using my charm and mojo to seduce some support.
Unfortunately, I will be speaking at local civic club at 7 am Monday which is not my best time of day. Got to get the kinks out you know.
Well, post wasnt going to be about me...just wanted you to know ive been wishing all would ease for you.
Thanks @Mojo333, I've been good. I spent the weekend away with my choir friends. They were rehearsing for an upcoming concert. I felt it better to bow out earlier in the term due to the hip and not been able to attend rehearsals. It was a nice weekend and lovely to spend time with friends. I am exhausted though. My stamina isn't although great and it was a late night having dinner followed by a sing song last night. My walk is a little better but I still need the crutch out and about. Sitting to standing is still uncomfortable ...Although I don't know if that is my hip or my back or everything! Hopefully my OS appointment on Thursday will clear that up.
I hope you have some success getting donations for your foodbank. It can be difficult to convince people to support different charitable organisations from what they are used to.
Has your back eased this too? I am hoping you stopped lugging those big boxes!
Yes ma'am. I have pushed the edit button on my daily activity.
Will be waiting with baited breath on report from your OS.
Back still aggravated at times but not nearly as intense. Honestly oddly it seems it bothers me while lying down and immediately after sleeping when I get up.
Have new mattress, guess it's OK.
Just hoping it fixes itself, like when the computer doesn't act right and you just turn it off and pray it straightens out when you turn it back on and don't really care what caused it. Maybe an ostrich is my spirit animal...
So I had my follow up appt with OS and physio class yesterday. I ended up having x rays due to pain in right hip and my limp. All was fine on right hip the bone graft is fully filled in with no space. Left hip ( the most one ) was grand too. He suspects I'm putting pressure on right hip and irritating the Bursa? Hopefully that will go with time. I am still taking an anti inflamatory for another month but at a reduced dose to taper it out. Last time when I stopped the anti inflamatory I had significant pain and stopped progressing. I didn't want that this time.
The physio felt my walk was poor due to me not putting weight equally through both legs. @Layla and @Mojo333 I think you both mentioned heel /toe walking... the OS snd physio recommended a couple of sessions with physio to work on my gait ( along with extra exercises she gave me yeaterday). I can also swim and walk in pool which I may give a shot next week. So the crutch renaissance out doors until I can walk properly....
Happily all restrictions lifted! I still ended up sleeping on my back..as I couldn't get coforyable on my right.
Hi @NoraJ
Great news on the doctor visit, x-rays and getting all restrictions lifted!
My PT recommended I concentrate on heel toe walking in an effort to lose a slight limp I had about 3 weeks out. It was effective but took some getting used to. I still get lax at times due to walking poorly for as long as I did. You can truly feel the difference when you concentrate on letting your heel strike the ground first, then toes.
I think it's easy to favor our surgical leg out of habit. Especially if you were doing it for a length of time. I still catch myself in the old habit of putting all my weight on my non surgical leg, or the one I referred to as my "good leg." Old habits die hard.
Hope you have a nice weekend!
Onward and upward dear Nora. Great news. Doesn't mean we don't have issues to work on, but she feels good to have doctor say all looks good.
We will get there, thanks for clueing me in.
A quick question. I have a sore on my finger. I thought it was a torn and tried to remove said torn on Sunday last. Since then the sore got a little infected and there is some imflamation around it about 0.5cm. This has gotten slightly larger since Tuesday. It looks likes there is a minor infection. Its not particularly painful more irritated but with the recent hip op I'm a little worried I may need to be more cautious. Any suggestions? GP or leave it be? Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it. One of my closest friends is visiting from the US and we're are having a gathering this evening to celebrate with her.
Guessing you've already put an antibacterial ointment on it and covered it for day or so.
I get paranoid about infection also.
Think a sticker is still in there?
So sweet of you to observe thanksgiving for your American friends.
We say it's about historical meeting and friendship with native Americans but really only about the food!
Most do take the time to count there blessings...of which I have many this year.
Keep an eye on the finger....
Thanks @Mojo333. I rang GP. I'll keep an eye today and mark it. If it's bigger tomorrow I can get an appointment in the morning to check it out. I think there may be something in it as it won't close bur fingers crossed a bit of tlc will work.
We were meant to be doing the full turkey Dinner tomorrow but sadly one of the groups father in lew passed and we'd to change it to a more informal event. But I've the pumpkin pie made (well mini pumpkin pies). I'll do a pecan sauce with it. So a little touch of American thanksgiving!
Sorry about the loss.
Yummy, pies sound delicious.
I have used an old ointment...ichthmol I believe...anyway, old timers call it drawing salve. It's a stinky petroleum based goo that will draw out anything.
Heard Gretel mention honey used in her neck of the woods.
I'm sure keeping an eye on it and leaving it alone is better at this point.
Eat some pie for me.
The mini pumpkin pies went down a treat. My American friend was delighted to gave them. It was nice to be able to share Thanksgiving with her.
I put some paw paw ointment on my finger yesterday as well as an anti bacterial ointment earlier. The infection I think is clearing a bit. A friend who is a nurse looked at it last night and he thought it looked ok for the minute. Normally I really wouldn't care but ....
It's been a while since I posted although I do read other members updates with interest.
I hit 12 weeks on Tuesday and managed to fully stop using one crutch this week. Starting from fully from Monday. It has been good by in large with the occasional hobble but that's usually after I've been sitting for a while. Its my back that generally ends up sore or painful.
I went for physio as recommended by my OS... the first session was fine. The exercises I did as long as they weren't sore. The psysio worked on my bursa the second session and on my back and that was very painful and she used neddling too..
I also visited another physio about getting my orthotics redone. I still have some minor LLD issues but they will hopefully resolve. The second physio is hopeful that once my gait settles the pain in my hips/legs/back will ease. As I've to pay for the sessions I am happy to be taking a break from physio until I've been using the orthotics for a while. I just hope that the end of the pain/ discomfort is nearing. I take the odd paracetamol but given the pain eases when I'm not moving it's hard to know what to take. I'm phasing out anti inflamatories given what I've read here I don't think not taking them will hinder me?
Congrats on losing the crutch @NoraJ that's encouraging.
Sorry you're dealing with a sore back. I've experienced that before in life, no fun!
Hopefully it disappears for good as your gait improves.
Best wishes for a great weekend and holiday season :merry christmas:
So good for you to give us an update Nora. Wish there was a magic pill...the recovery road is laden with potholes.
I believe I still have some SI joint/lower back pain issues but at this far out it only raises it's ugly head when I'm lifting and doing things I probably don't need to be doing.
I honestly think time is a great healer.
Keep working on it...I want you to be better soon.
Santa hug:santa hug:
Happy New year. I am 15 weeks post op today and had my first day back at work today. I had a 2 hour drive followed by an office day and my goodness I feel every bit of it. My back is not great and my knee is sore. I started the day thinking I was great and boy did I get a reminder that I'm not finished healing.
I got my updated orthotics before Christmas and I have been wearing them. I feel my walk is improving but the sitting today on a bad office chair was a killer. I know from other threads this is common enough. I'm looking forward to working from home on Thursday as it should ve way more comfortable. At least I hope so!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.