THR Left hip- done and dusted

Hi @NoraJ
Five weeks already! I recall being surprised at how quickly time passed.
Wondering if you felt that way with each hip...
It is so easy for boredom to set in while in recovery, especially while not driving.
Sounds like you'll be released to do so very soon.
Something that really helped me with the limping was heel-toe walking.
It wasn't a familiar way of walking for me, still isn't until I catch / remind myself
to have my heel strike the ground first, then toes. Since this is your second hip you
may already be doing this.....if not, give it a try.
Best wishes for a great week and a good visit with the doc on Nov 15th.
 
Thanks @Layla I know I'm not walking great so I will practice that. It sometimes feels like my stride is shorter. No doubt some proper walking at the weekend will help. This week has been the slowest...so yes hopefully once I'm more mobile time it will be better. I actually ended up reading my posts from last time to see how I was and it is fairly similar although I feel better emotionally this time. Small things made a difference...
 
Hey @NoraJ . Glad things appear to be going fairly well for you.
I really had to 'practice' walking correctly add I was deemed a toe walker, guess from years of trying to take pressure off the hips.
Heel/toe I try to go.
All the best as you continue to heal.:hi:
 
Thanks @mojo. I'm getting there slowly walking wise. I still have a limp but it's improving.

As I hit 6 weeks today I got to drive for the first time! It was strange getting back behind the wheel but it was great to be independent again. Pain wise it's fine a bit achy and sore but very manageable.
 
Aaah! Putting the pedal to the metal again.....wonderful, isn't it?
Hoping your achiness goes away soon. You know this drill all too well.
Best wishes for a great week @NoraJ
 
Good to hear your back behind the wheel. I felt so helpless having to rely on other people to ferry me around for the first 6 weeks. Be careful getting in and out though. :driver:
 
Thanks @Layla ans @Alfie888. I was nervous about managing getting in and out of the car but the steering wheel helps. I just have to work out a system with my crutch. I was nervous about managing the clutch as it was left leg but it was fine although I didn't overdo it today. I ended needing an afternoon nap after my adventures. That said I walked normally down the stairs this evening without a thought and that felt like real progress!
 
I’ve put a memory foam cushion on my car seat to give me a bit more support and height and it helps with getting in and out as it’s quite low. One of the disadvantages of driving a Ferrari. In my dreams:sleep:
 
Luckily enough @Alfie888 I've a high car (qashqai) as do my parents and significant other who've been driving me fir the oast six weeks. I have a memory phone cushion though for my dining chair and it made all the difference. The thought of a Ferrari scares me I don't think I'd get in or out of it in the best of health![emoji5]
 
Give me one, let me see if I can drive it. I bet it would look good on me!
Glad you are taking it slow and easy Nora.
By the new year, you will be fit as a fiddle.
Yay for no hip pain!
 
Fingers crossed for no pain @mojo. The hip pain is almost gone now for the lower back pain to be gone too and I'll be a new woman in 2018.
 
@Alfie888 I feel your pain on the quality of roads... I'm grateful I'm 10 mins from a motorway but the road to get to it is narrow and bumpy. Its the tractors I've to watch out for not the speed bumps!
 
Have you just read my last posts on MY thread?
If not...check it...Jo weighed in. I'm in agreement about the back thing.
 
@NoraJ Hope you are doing okay.
I was remembering you had a bone graft so my goes is you ARE still babying that hip.
Guessing you will go for a recheck before long?
Hope your week is peaceful...being patient really it's the pits.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 I've just realised I haven't been tagging you properly! When is your appt? For some reason I was thinking today but I could be wrong...

I am being careful. I had a bone graft on none hips. But because I got time left hip done before the damage was to severe the gap being filled by the graft isn't as big. Or at leadt that's what I think my OS said. Its bending that is catching me and oddly in my right hip.

I brought a friend who is having cancer treatment for an appointment this morning. She is using a roller aid now and her mobility is impaired. I have to say it be too soon for me to lugging the roller aid in and out of the car. I can feel it this afternoon and I've taken to the bed for a rest. My need to feel useful may need to go on hold.

I have my follow up appt with my OS on the 15th and I'll attend a physio class the same day. I'll have to pretend I did my exercises... but I stopped them after a day or two at home. To be honest I can't say that I've may any less progress than the last time when I did them. So I will stick with Bonesmart advise that hips recover perfectly well without them.

I do need to chat to my OS about anti inflamatories though. I'm still on them. With last hip when I stopped them suddenly I hit a wall. So I'm hoping to tapper them out with a lower dose and hope that I continue to progress without too much pain.
 
I have to say it be too soon for me to lugging the roller aid in and out of the car.
I found lifting anything heavy or awkward post op would get my hip complaining. Might be twisting to get it out of the car as well. Hope you can rest and ice a bit.
 
I'll have to pretend I did my exercises... but I stopped them after a day or two at home. To be honest I can't say that I've may any less progress than the last time when I did them. So I will stick with Bonesmart advise that hips recover perfectly well without them.
Smart I really think. Same with me. OS appointment tomorrow!
Yep, regrettably can't be too gracious right now. You have your own issues.
You sound good...will be happy for you to get your recheck.
Hope you feel better.
 
Back
Top Bottom