THR Left hip- done and dusted

There was no fear of doing anything to excess today. I took a duvet day! I didn't bother getting dressed as no one was calling and took it easy. No pressure to do much of anything. I've friends calling tomorrow and my cleaner coming so I'll be up and moving more tomorrow[emoji4].

What is difficult is settling at night. I am sleeping this time for which I am very grateful! But getting to sleep is tough-not just sleeping on my back but it's almost like I get restless, achy legs and my limbs are itcy. After a while it goes and once I'm not lying entirely on my incision I'm ok. Its a small thing I know but it drives me a little nuts!
 
Hi, @NoraJ I hear you on that settling at night! Hubby has been such a trooper through all of my shifting, tossing and turning.

For whatever reason, the thing that helped my leg not get that restless feeling was to put a pillow under the leg that was operated on. It helped it stay where it was supposed to as well. It took me a while to figure out the best place to put the pillow, but once I found the right spot it made a big difference in my case.

Wishing you speedy healing and a great night's sleep!
 
Had same feelings, annoying. Unfortunately mine did that for few months...think it was nerves getting sorted out. Just had to keep changing positions constantly. Pull legs up, down, put pillow under, take pillow out. Eased finally but yes, very unsettling.
Hope gets better sooner than later. Temporary but :thud:
 
I'm now almost three weeks post op and managing ok. I am now on my own with friends popping in and out. Once a bad dose of the post ops blues lifted last week I did ok. My mum was helping me and was great but I think both of us needed a break. I can manage reasonably well on my own and just have to accept some things have to wait until someone calls and can help me.

I went to visit friends last night for a family party. I thought I'd be ok as it was in there home and I could bring my cushions and extra bits. But there were more people there than I expected and I couldn't move about much. In the end my legs swelled up and despite evalavting them they stayed a but swollen. Once I got home I rested a but and put back on my Teds to bring it down. A bit of a reality check! I'll be keeping a low profile for another little while. My bedtime is usually 9pm ish to read and relax... I slept ok until about 3am or 4am and discomfort wakes me. Takes an hour or two to get back to sleep to wake up around 8am. Again I guess from other threads this is fairly common? Some days I just end up being more tired than others.

I took the bandage off yesterday and the wound looks perfect and healing away but feels strange. Almost hard to the touch and numb like in places? Does that sound familiar. I just don't remember that from last time. I'm hoping it will pass soon enough and it's just part and parcel.

Its been good to see everyone's progress although I'm happy enough I'm slow to go drown for two cruchtes to one. Im not three week out until Tuesday so i think that is ok? My walk is no where near steady although I can stand!
 
Hi @NoraJ
Sorry you experienced the post op blues, it's good to hear it's lifted.
As for the incision numbness, I'm still experiencing a bit on one side at
15 weeks out. I read it is due to the disruption of nerves and can last 4-6 months post op.
I think you'll hear on BS that using walking aids at less than 3 weeks out is considered normal.
I hope your sleep improves with less disruptions due to discomfort.
Best Wishes for a great week of continued healing!
 
My numbness and zingers are only now subsiding, still come about unexpectedly, numbness definitely better.. and I'm 6 months out.
Hang :console2:in there
 
Thanks @Layla and @mojo I have found making comparisons between my first hip experience and this one difficult to not do. I have taken it fairly easy today. Its wet and miserable out so a perfect excuse to stay put.
 
Doing well this week. Well good days and bad days. I seem to have a good day followed by a lazy day. I'm still taking some of the top up tramadol as and when required. Usually at night when I can find or difficult to settle. My walk is still fairly wobbly so I'm slow to drop to one crutch when out..not that I've ventured out a lot.

My only big fear is that Ireland is due to be in the path of hurricane ophelia tomorrow. Its never happened in my lifetime and although I tried to secure stuff in my garden I'm limited in what I could do. Schools/universities are are shutting down as are the Court sec At least I can't actually go anywhere as I can't drive anyway! Hopefully by this time tomorrow evening all will be ok.
 
Thinking of you during hurricane-hope all goes well. Certainly had enough of them this year. I felt wobbly after mine-I used walker at start them moved to cane or crutches depending on my mood. I still have a numb spot around my incision but I think it is getting smaller. Hope you get some good rest.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @MammaT . I am hoping I will sleep for some part of tonight! Hopefully all the warnings here are precautionary..

As for the walk...last time around it took 4 months for it to be right so I am probably a little anxious it too soon.
 
Hurricanes hit part of the US hard this year in certain portions.
I had one come across my town at Cat 1 and lucky that it caused minimum damage. As, mother nature.
Will be thinking of you.
Think your recovery issues sound like all stuff I dealt with along the way, now almost all numbness stiffness and weirdness has finally all but gone.
Pain free days are here finally.
I am so happy for my life to be good now.
Wish the same for you. Of course, I'm 6 months out so it HAS been a journey.:wave:
 
Last edited:
@NoraJ-I think each journey is individual to a degree. It’s hard to see what damage has been done inside before we get surgery and our bodies are in different shape! I was 61 with my lthr and that recovery may be a bit different than if I had it done at 51. Don’t know exactly how the rthr will be but I know like @Mojo333 said-we get to a pain free time!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PS...I ditched the TEDs , not medical advice, just saying. Super annoying, no ill effects:good-bad:
 
Thanks @MammaT and @mojo . I ditched the teds after week 2, then wore them for a day or 2 when I had bad swelling. They are gone forever now. It will be what it will be. I do need to start building up my walking even if it isn't very pretty. That will be easier once I'm driving again.

The weather and where I live are conspiring against me somewhat. Although thankfully I didn't suffer too much from Ophelia. A lot of people are without power and sadly there were three fatalities. It could have been far worse but for the most part people stayed home.

Today is meant to be nice so I may get outside for a bit!
 
@NoraJ Sounds like you are doing good. I had my surgery on the 12th so just a week ahead of you. I still have the numbness as well. I have not had any zingers this time and had them a lot with first hip. Just goes to show that indeed no 2 recoveries are the same. Glad no more damage from the hurricane than there was. Hoping you have a restful night and a good week.
 
Thanks @Mysticfairy. I read about the zingers on another thread and had a bit of an aha moment! I did have those but didn't pay much attention to them last time. But they lasted a while. So far I haven't noticed them much although the incision is still fairy numb and sore. I'd say I'm awake for the day...I tend to wake early anyway but 6am when I don't have to be up is too early. Usually means a nap in the afternoon...[emoji4]. But I'm doing ok...time will tell!
 
I remember waking at my usual time between 5-6, getting coffee, going to recliner and taking a nap at 7! I resigned myself to sleeping when my body said too. It just sorted itself out naturally. Enjoy the nap!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I spent the first 2 weeks at my sisters recuperating as she has bigger home to accommodate walker and step in shower. Weather was issue also...heat wave which didn't agree with my pain meds and caused dizziness.
After a while, walking up and down her hall got extremely boring. One month out after THR..I think you are doing well at trying to be patient.
Some accused me of patience...I called it resigned. I just wanted it to get well right!
Hoping you will have a good day. Glad YOU didn't lose power.
 
Five weeks down! I feel good although a little bored. I haven't seen anyone for a couple of days which feels a bit strange. Everyone's lives are busy and being younger most of my friends are working full time. I'm counting down the days until I can drive...the 31st and I'm hoping that will help eleviate the boredom. @mojo last hip I stayed with my parents and neatly went cracked this time I'm in my own home and more comfortable.

I'm lucky I'm off work most likely until after Christmas. My OS wanted me off 4 months...given my experience last time. I don't know how other hippies could return to work after only 4 or 6 weeks..

I still use one crutch a good deal of the time. I have a pronounced enough limp so I assume it's better to use it. I'll see how I go as I increase my walking. Last time around I hit a block at 6 weeks so I am waiting for then to really see how I am really doing.

Pain wise I'm good. I still take some paracetamol but rarely tramadol. If I do take tramadol it's at night to settle to sleep. I can't wait to be able to sleep on my side. I don't see my OS until Nov 15th so I'll be on restrictions until then. The joys!
 
Back
Top Bottom