Guest viewing is limited

Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

Thank you for the update.
Working on physical conditioning as best you can is a good plan. Make sure to get probiotics, protein, and fluids!!!!
 
Last edited:
I'm so sorry you're feeling less than desirable all of the time. :console2:
Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of this ongoing misfortune with your knee.
We're rooting for you and will be here whenever you're in need.
Take care!
@WFD
 
So sorry to read you need another surgery. My thoughts are with you.
 
Working on physical conditioning as best you can is a good plan.
Agree that trying to keep your strength up is a good plan.
Sorry you feel so rough with the antibiotics and infection. We are really rooting for you.
 
We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Best Wishes!
Holding good thoughts for a positive outcome and will lift a prayer for you. :prayer:
Please keep us posted!
@WFD
 
I got home from the hospital yesterday, after having the PICC line installed. Everything has gone well except for excruciating pain in my shin. When I try to walk on crutches I actually get clunking in the shin area associated with the pain. Don’t know what causes that.

The knee itself is almost painless, which makes sense since it is fused straight and cannot bend, so there is no way to stress the soft tissues.

The surgeon removed quite a bit of scar tissue from my knee, mainly from the back of the knee cap, and there was plenty of evidence of the infection present - the cement holding the prosthetic parts in place was partially degraded.

I am self infusing with IV antibiotics every day in addition to oral antibiotics. Hopefully we can kill this infection in the next several months and a hinged knee can be put in.
 
Best wishes for an uneventful recovery!
 
Will pray for healing, WFD. :prayer:
Please stay in touch.
@WFD
 
The surgeon removed quite a bit of scar tissue from my knee, mainly from the back of the knee cap, and there was plenty of evidence of the infection present - the cement holding the prosthetic parts in place was partially degraded.
Hopefully you will start to feel better now that the infected tissue has been removed and the antibiotics really kick in. When I had septicaemia at about 5 months- I could tell when they got the right antibiotics because I just felt so much better.
I am sorry you still have shin pain- hope that settles soon.
We are are rooting for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
 
I'm praying for your quick and complete recovery! You have been through so much, yet you still encourage others. You are a blessing to so many.
 
Two weeks since step one of two stage revision -

Things are mostly unchanged. The knee is still largely painless, which is no surprise since it is fused straight and cannot bend. I changed the bandage on Wednesday and the incision looked great, again probably because the knee is not bending and does not flex the incision.

The shin and ankle is still very very painful. Looking at my notes from my last surgery it seems like the two week point is about the peak shin pain point, so hopefully it will be all downhill from here.

Still infusing with iv antibiotics as well as taking oral antibiotics and this will continue for at least another month. Here's hoping we can kill it this time because I am getting really tired of this stuff.

I see my surgeon this Friday for xrays, etc., and my ID doc the following week. Not expecting any surprises - this will be a long and boring recovery I think since with the knee fused straight there is not much in the way of PT to be done, just leg raises and calf pumps and the like. Once the PICC line is out I can do some upper body workouts.

Just like my last surgery but not like the ones before, I am again sleeping really well, right from the day of surgery. I credit this to having been diagnosed with sleep apnea - using a CPAP machine makes all the difference in the world for me. I speculate that TKR patients (who are mostly in the age group at risk for sleep apnea), due to the pain and trauma of the surgery are pushed over the line into sleep apnea, if they don't already have it, and have poor sleep as a result. I mentioned it to my sleep doc and he said that it was entirely possible. Something to keep in mind if you are sleeping poorly.

Mods, would someone be kind enough to change my thread title to 'July 30 2024 Stage One of Two Stage Revision'? Thanks.
 
Thank you for the update.
It sounds like you're handling the regimen, the waiting, etc with patience.
I'm glad your sleep apnea is responding so well to treatment!
 
Prayers all your hopes and wishes come true. Great news you're sleeping well because our body does the best healing as we sleep. Best Wishes for your visit with the surgeon on Friday. Please let us know how it goes.
Happy Wednesday, WFD. :)
@WFD
 
I typed in a three week update but must have forgotten to hit 'Enter' as it seems to have disappeared.

The knee continues to be relatively painless and the swelling is going down much more quickly than in the past - not too surprising as it is fused straight and cannot move. The shin and ankle pain is still there and is due to the long stem, as you can se in the attached x-ray.

I saw my ID doc this past Thursday and she ordered more blood tests to be added to the weekly blood draw by the visiting nurse, and we planned out the strategy for the next several months. I am on the fourth week of IV antibiotics out of a total of six. This is my third PICC line and I've gotten completely used to having it, which is kind of sad.

I also came down with some kind of flu thing and am just now getting over it. If it isn't one thing it's another.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom