Guest viewing is limited

Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

There's a lot of respiratory bugs going around. I hope yours passes quickly!
 
also came down with some kind of flu thing and am just now getting over it. If it isn't one thing it's another.
So sorry. These things really do hit you when you are down. Hope you start to feel better soon.
When I was on heavy duty antibiotics after my bout of sepsis last year, I tried probiotics. To be honest, I am not sure if they helped but it made me feel I was doing something. I also tried natural yoghurt and kimchi.
 
We are on the East Coast and there are several viruses floating around and while recently in the ER with my husband the staff was commenting on all of the Covid cases coming in on top of the issues from the stomach virus that was keeping them very busy.
So sorry you succumbed to a nasty virus also! You are correct, it does seem like it is one thing after another.. but you have had more than your share and I pray that things will be looking up and remain that way!

Your diminished swelling/pain sounds hopeful, though. Try to keep your chin up..it sounds like you have a very diligent ID doctor so that is comforting.
 
So sorry to read you had the flu along with everything else you're dealing with.
Thankfully you're feeling better. I hope the shin and ankle pain eases soon and you're able to rest comfortably.
Keep us posted. We're interested and we care.
@WFD
 
One other thing - my ID doc pointed out something my surgeon didn't mention. As you can see, the lateral epicodyle of the femor broke off and is sitting there. I'm going to ping them on Monday and see if there are any concerns. I have an occasional deep ache there but nothing severe.
 
So sorry to hear that there is this new worry. Hopefully your OS will be able to reassure you today that it will fuse itself.
Good luck- thinking of you.
 
Four weeks since first surgery of two-stage revision -

Not too much to report. Gradually feeling better as the flu bug's effects recede and the stem pain decreases. Two more weeks of the PICC line and then I get to have it removed. Then several months of oral antibiotics, a two week quiet period, and then a knee aspiration and culture, followed by hopefully a new knee.

I'll switch to monthly updates since things are not happening very quickly.
 
Good luck! Thanks for keeping us posted and glad you are feeling better after your flu bug. There have been some nasty viruses around here too. Good that the stem pain is settling. Hope all continues to go as well as possible.
 
Looking forward to continuing to hear about your recovery in the coming months. It's good to read that your health from the bug is improving, along with that stem pain.
 
Thanks for the update, WFD. Thankfully you're recovering from the flu, feeling better and the stem pain is easing.
I hope the next couple of weeks with the PICC line fly by. Wishing you all the best and cheering you on,
on your way back to good health.
@WFD
 
A minor update - I was to have the PICC line removed tomorrow after finishing up the IV antibiotics today. Unfortunately weekly lab work shows the chief marker of inflammation, CRP, is increasing instead of decreasing. CRP is very sensitive and it might be increasing as a result of weed pollen levels, which are very high right now in New England where I live.

Out of an abundance of caution my ID doc is extending the IV antibiotics two more weeks, so I have put up with the PICC line that much longer.

Hopefully this will do it and we can kill this infection.
 
@WFD sorry to hear they've extended your antibiotic use and keeping the picc line. Agree with the doc using an overabundance of caution. So much better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully this next couple weeks fly by.
 
Hopefully this will settle things. Thinking of you and Good luck!
 
Hopefully this will do it and we can kill this infection.
Prayers to that end, WFD. :prayer:
So sorry, this news had to be a disappointment, but understandable your surgeon doesn't want to risk it.
I hope you have a beautiful weekend in New England, the most picturesque in Autumn.
 
A minor update - I was to have the PICC line removed tomorrow after finishing up the IV antibiotics today. Unfortunately weekly lab work shows the chief marker of inflammation, CRP, is increasing instead of decreasing. CRP is very sensitive and it might be increasing as a result of weed pollen levels, which are very high right now in New England where I live.

Out of an abundance of caution my ID doc is extending the IV antibiotics two more weeks, so I have put up with the PICC line that much longer.

Hopefully this will do it and we can kill this infection.
I’ve been following you with huge interest WFD sorry to read that your markers are up and the PICC has to stay - I hope it is pollen … I have now had my Gallium scan, I had to wait 3 weeks for the drug to come into Australia, and the results are with my surgeon, as of yesterday morning. He will call me on Tuesday morning to confirm whether or not it’s an infection in my right TKR. I’ll be in Tokyo for work. To say the waiting has been worrying is an understatement. I had my blood work done for FBE, CRP and ESR and all were in the normal range. However, I read that can happen but still an infection can be lurking.
I can see the scan pictures as they’ve been posted to “my health record” an Australian thing, wish I had a degree in nuclear medicine right now and could read them! The report is there too but is blocked from me for 7 days after the scan. So frustrating knowing it’s all there but noone can tell me what’s going on yet. Anyway should know more on Tuesday!
 
results are with my surgeon, as of yesterday morning. He will call me on Tuesday morning to confirm whether or not it’s an infection in my right TKR. I’ll be in Tokyo for work. To say the waiting has been worrying is an understatement
Good luck- hope for the best.
 
Two months since first surgery of two stage revision -

The CRP (a marker for inflammation, often used to track success or failure of anitbiotics used to treat an infection) continued to increase so my OS, ID doc, and I decided to get the aspiration and culture done sooner rather than later, as an infection that appears to be getting worse even while being treated with IV antibiotics is very concerning.

We stopped the abx and will have an aspiration done on October 11th, then followups with my surgeon on the 18th and my ID doc on the 24th.

It is possible this is a false alarm, as the rifampin I was on can, in some patients, falsely elevate the CRP.

Based on the results of the culture we will decide on next steps.

Still stumping around on my fused-straight-leg. The pain is gradually decreasing but I am still unable to do much.

Man, this is really getting old.
 
Still stumping around on my fused-straight-leg. The pain is gradually decreasing but I am still unable to do much.

Man, this is really getting old.
Sorry you are having such a rough time.
I do hope the raised CRP is a false alarm.
Good luck with the follow ups. We are all rooting for you. Keep us posted.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom