Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

It is nice to be off the antibiotics, however temporarily, so the GI and itching skin issues can subside. PICC lines are definitely the tool of the devil.
I hope you get some good news about the test results and can ditch the IV lines.
Those PICC lines always look so uncomfortable.
If I were allowed to choose I’d pick a port, but I’m guessing there’s reasons the PICC was used in your situation..
Hang in there, we are pulling for you and appreciate your updates.
 
I can go on oral antibiotics and get the PICC line out, I can start working out and doing yardwork, and generally have a life again. If the infection is not under control, I may have to continue on IV antibiotics, and have some tough decisions to make.
Good luck. Really feel for you and hoping for the best.
 
Thinking of you and hoping things improve.
 
Best Wishes for good news and the ability to get back to the things you love in peace
and improved health. :prayer: @WFD
 
Ten months after second revision of left knee -

We got the culture results back and despite 7 weeks of vancomycin and oral rifampin, the infection is alive and kicking.

A two stage revision is now inevitable. I have a telehealth call with my surgeon this Thursday 6/6 to schedule everything.

At least I’ve had a brief recovery and respite. I was able to drive from Boston to Savannah Georgia for my daughter’s college graduation. I leave early tomorrow for the two day drive home.

The most likely plan is to fuse my knee straight with a carbon fiber rod, then four months of a PICC line, and then installation of another new knee (my third). Definitely not looking forward to this one.

The new knee may be a hinged knee because so much bone has / will be lost.
 
We got the culture results back and despite 7 weeks of vancomycin and oral rifampin, the infection is alive and kicking.

A two stage revision is now inevitable.

I’m so sorry to read this.
 
I’m truly sorry to learn this news, WFD. It has to be difficult for you.
Let‘s pray the third time is the charm.

It’s unfortunate you have to go through this all again, but please know that we’re here for you and will be cheering you on.

Safe travels home from Savannah and best wishes for your tele-health call on Thursday.
@WFD
 
Sorry to hear your infection has not cleared. Glad you were able to attend your daughters graduation.

I have a very stable hinged knee, 10+ years.
 
As a long time follower of your thread, I find this horrifying news. I do so hope that you are staying on top of this mentally, it’s one blow after another for you. You have put everything into each recovery and have now been rewarded by this. Unbearable for you.
Hopefully there will be a new beginning and success this year.
 
I am so so sorry to read this. Glad travels and the graduation went well. Good luck for the tele- health consult.
 
Just catching up. I'm awfully sorry to read your news. We will be following, of that you can be sure.
 
I had the telehealth appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday. The plan is pretty much as I outlined it, though I will only have the PICC line in for eight weeks or so - the rest of the four months will be oral antibiotics and then time for the antibiotics to clear so additional cultures and tests can be performed to ensure the infection is gone before installing the new knee.

The surgeon said that the re-infection rate runs around 25%, which is pretty high, and doesn't cheer me up. If it recurs then the only option will be amputation, since I won't have enough bone left for any kind of knee replacement.
 
I'm glad there's a solid plan.

How are you in terms of local support (family, friends) getting through the coming months.

We'll be here for you but my concern is real-life practical and emotional support.
 
I am so sorry to read this. You are very helpful to others on here, even when dealing with your own problems. Having good help at home is a blessing. Of course, we have your back!
 
Eleven months after second revision of left knee -

Not much new to report. The first stage of my two-stage revision is scheduled for 7/30 and the second stage should occur around 11/30, give or take.

I'm using the time to gain as much strength as I can before going into four months with a knee fused straight and a PICC line, which will make it prettty much impossible to get much exercise.

Between the effects of the infection and the antibiotics, I feel crappy all the time but there is nothing to do but power through it. Hopefully by some time in the fall, the infection will be dead and I can go off the antibiotics.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom