THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Thanks Vinnie,

Just got done with morning drill:thumb:
Made coffee, ate cereal, did floor exercises, walked about 400m, came in and showered, got Ted hose on unassisted, and now I am elevated, iced and pooped. Oh, and that finally happened for too:yahoo:
I got tired of stool softeners and went for the Milk of Magnesia. I feel like singing.
 
Sounds like you are moving in the right direction..no pun intended lol!
Every day will get better the more you move around... as you know.
I go to see my OS tomorrow to see what's going on with my hip.
It hasn't been bad the last few days. I do get pains in the groin area and can't sleep at all on my right side.
I'll keep you posted. Anyway.. rest and ice when you need to.
Blessings, Vinnie
 
Lots of movement today pun intended.

Perhaps more importantly I went back to the man cave and fired up the Strat. I can play guitar pain free. I have not been able to play for more than 10-min the past 6 mos. I played standing and on a guitar stool and no pain!!!! Although the Norco did make it challenging lol. I am seriously out of practice too. Now I have time for that.
So, I am getting things back that my old hip stole from me.
 
Got back from my evening walk. I am iced and elevated. I went up the hill to the other stop sign tonight, a journey of 500m. It was hot and muggy, I was shaking when I got back, felt like I'd just ran a 5k. So, I walked a half mile today. I did not do my set of PT tonight opting instead for the extra distance. I will walk once and do two sets of pt tomorrow. Home health nurse is coming by at ten am tomorrow to check incision and change dressing. I will do PT, walk and shower before they arrive.
 
Alright! I am back from the morning walk. I feel wonderful. It is so nice not to have that grating pain in my crotch and no pain shooting down my leg!
Got up and had my black coffee. Got out the yoga mat and did my torture/PT exercises which are getting easier. I did one set of light weights for both bicep and triceps.
Next I went for a glorious walk. .71k or .44mi. I could have gone further but I don't want a setback.
I like goals, so the part of my brain that sometimes tries to kill me is telling me a mile is doable at the end of the week.
We shall see.
Rooting for @Kimmer this morning. Go Team:happydance:
 
Just a small bit of advice - slow down my friend. I know you like goals and I know the "high" from having this behind you. But pushing the walking, weights and PT - you are less than a week out of some very major surgery. You are not in training. Go easy now and you will have years of activity.
 
Great Progress Dougie.
I think we all know the story about The Tortoise and The Hare.
Slow and easy wins the race.
Well done so far.
Joe.......
 
The home health nurse came by this morning. She changed the dressing, I had to get a pic [Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right
I wanted to do more correspondence this afternoon, but I am in that period of time when my body says, 'You Will Go To Sleep Now' and I have little choice in the matter.
I don't know, maybe I should have more modesty, but I really don't care. Hey, I have a scar, look!
Last year I was at a family reunion and my cousin's wife had just had a hip replacement. I pulled up my shorts leg and showed her my scar. We're in our late 50's, showing scars is not exhibitionism. I think scars are interesting. It is more group bonding than anything. Hippies share a common bond/interest. I have lots of friends who have hip replacements. Whenever we see each other the first thing we say is, 'How's the hip?' Besides, having a hip replacement pretty much strips you of any modicum of modesty you possessed before you left the hospital.
 
Hello Constanze, life is good. This recovery is so radically different than the first one! I may play some this afternoon. Right now I am doing the ice/elevate thing.
 
Having a much better day today. I got out of bed and took a whole pill. After coffee I did some light upper body weights while seated. Then I went for my walk. I only intended to go .5mi / .9k...but I felt good so ended up walking 1.18k / .73 mi. After my return I did my floor exercises. I ate cereal and now I am iced and elevated.
I see no problem with trying to obtain my personal mini-goal of walking a mile / 1.6k on Friday. I actually had some endorphins going today. I feel good.

Today is the first day post surgery that I feel normal. My systems are finally working, I've been sleeping ok (not great just ok), my appetite is returning and my taste is coming back. I don't know if it was the toradol, the general anaesthetic or the hydrocodone, but my senses of taste and smell were really diminished immediately after surgery.
Normally I don't nap, but every day since surgery about this time I get an overwhelming desire to nap. That is just what I'm going to do.
 
Official PT begins tomorrow afternoon at 4pm. Yay!

However-

Once again, I was asked, 'Did your physician discuss outpatient physical therapy with you?' Um, yes he did. And since I have not been released to drive, how do you propose I get there?
'Ooohhhh, yes we understand.'

I swear! Once again, a national insurance company comes to the realization that a hip replacement recipient can't drive themself to PT because they have not been released to drive by their physician. My doc has discouraged me from even riding in a car except to go to the doctor or the Rx.

Is it Grounhog Day, or did I miss something? Is this phenomenon something that ever changes?

Let's take it a step further, I wonder how my vehicle and health insurance companies would like if I drove myself home from the hospital after a hip replacement? Probably not very much. Then why are they surprised that you can't drive yourself to PT?:shrug:

Thanks for letting me vent. This situation just struck me as funny.
 
Big day tomorrow. It is going to be a test of stamina.

I need to walk in the am, it is too hot in OK to do it in the afternoon. Someone from work is bringing out paperwork at 10:30am for me to sign, so business can continue as usual in my absence (they miss me.)
The housekeeper is coming by. The yard people are also coming. PT is coming by at 4pm. My new bass guitar is being delivered. I just hope I have enough energy left to play.
Undoubtedly the fullest schedule since surgery. The yard service and housekeeper are new additions, so they need to be shown what we expect. Prior to surgery I was all of one and most of the other.

I need to tell my wife that she caused my hip problems:rotfl: In her defense, she had a complete reverse shoulder replacement on April 5. Her rotator cuff was completely torn (all four tendons) and her biceps tendon was also torn. I take credit for that. She hit me with the cast iron skillet one-too-many times.
 
How are you feeling this morning? I'm off to PT in a bit, but first have to tackle the TED hose. Have a wonderful day!
 
Good Morning! At least it is still morning here for a few more minutes.
After my LTHR it was nine days before I could walk without aid.
This time, after RTHR, I walked a mile on Day 8!
I did not set any records and 1.6k is an arbitrary distance. In the grand scheme of things, a mile is not a long distance.
However, this morning I walked 1.19 miles, one week after surgery.
Mentally this is huge. What a great day. It appears that my fitness goal of getting back on my bike Sept 1 might happen.
PT just called, they want to come early. Coffee Now!
:tiredwheel:
 
PT has come and gone. We definitely identified some deficits. We used the rubber band. I also learned several new means of torture. The
IceMan has been fired up. Nap time is coming.
 
I pretty much took half a day off. I only did one set of PT exercises and some light weight upper body weights this morning.
I had walked every day since the day after surgery, so I did no walking today except a little around the yard.
I will take a moderate distance walk tomorrow and two sessions of the PT stuff as prescribed.

The therapist did a thorough assessment yesterday and showed me some new things. I felt some new pains last nite and overnight so I felt like an easy day was in order. The pains were gone when I woke up this am.
As part of my afternoon off, I ate chili dogs and ice cream along with my stool softeners.
Have a good night!
 
@dougie0216 sounds like you're having a great recovery! I too found that taking a rest day after an active day did the trick.. btw chili dogs sound good :snork:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom