Guest viewing is limited

THR Left 2013 - Now the right

I wonder if it is a bad day, or if our perception is skewed. I woke up today and felt much better. That's not going to happen every day so I wonder if after a good day we expect the same level of improvement everyday.
So when we don't improve we perceive it is a bad day. I'm not saying bad days dont happen, I've had them. We have a lot of time to think lying around on our backs..., And I have often wondered, is it a bad day, or is my perception of reality a bit skewed. Speaking for myself it is probably not of the latter.
So I am having a good day. Woke up, walked a mile, my colon worked. For 9-days after surgery it really does not get better than this.
It was windy this morning! 30mph/50kph out of the south. Our neighborhood is hilly! I gave myself extra credit for walking the last 1/2 mile into the wind. I figured I worked some extra muscles trying not to get blown over so I skipped PT exercises this am. I will do them tonite.
 
Looked up info on HH100. What a crazy event... And apparently been going for a long time. I saw some mention about the wind being a factor for the bike ride also... Geographically y'all must be prime for that somehow.
You are doing phenomenally!
Keep on keeping on!
 
The only place I have ever been that's windier 24/7 is Prudhoe Bay, AK!

It is another good day. Nothing says you can't have two in a row! I had my first good night of sleep, all night, since prior to surgery and I wasn't sleeping that good then...sigh.
Walked my mile, the wind was only gusting to 29mph.
Iced, elevated and about to watch dvr.
 
Sounds like a great day! So glad your sleep is improving! I had my second night of "almost" all night in a row, and it really helps. Sounds like the walking is going well. Are you still using the cane? I think I might be given the ok to switch tomorrow at PT. Enjoy your watching. Any show suggestions?
 
I woke up from my nap really hungry. My significant other was also asleep. I got up and cooked dinner. I also went into the garage this evening and got into a car (on the drivers side) and then proceeded to back the car out of the garage and then put it back in. I just wanted to see if I could do it in case of emergency. I don't really want to drive anywhere, it was just a test to see if I could do it. Granted it was an automatic. There is no way I would even try it in my car. It has a clutch. I would need another leg to drive it.
 
It isn't a bad day, third one of those in a row. My cats think I am like the giant pillow and blankie covered hill of fun. I have the IceMan going with an additional block of ice-cooler ice placed on a strategic spot the IceMan won't reach. I am a bit on the cool side... So I have throw pillows under the blankets to keep my cats from walking where they should not! After they got tired of walking on me, two of them decided to just Crash where they were.
I walked a bit over 2km this am. Not as windy as yesterday but a lot warmer. It was 27C/80F at 0900 when I started my walk. Dew point was 69F meaning it was Humid! Definitely needed a shower after that.
Iced and elevated in Oklahoma,
Doug
 
Very cool! I just got back from the Orthopedic Clinic, and as I was walking back to the exam room, I got a, 'Well look at you,' comment as I walked in without a cane or a walker.
The PA was very happy and told me I could lose the TED hose except to wear them overnight for a couple of weeks.I
My hip is not to happy. After going by a couple of stores it turned into a 180 mile RT. I am swelling, ugh! So I am iced and elevated.
 
I know I am so ready to feel normal because I know my hips are going to be so much better... Feel like I still have most of but my strength and NONE if my stamina. Icing and elevating myself...
 
It is bad when there is no second wind and only part of the first...:dead:
 
Dougie, it sounds like you're doing really well with your recovery. You seem to be listening to your body which is critical. And now it sounds like you're due for a day or two of down time. I'm sure you remember that your progress will have its ups and downs. Walking really is all the exercise you need for a hip recovery, so never feel at all guilty if you skip exercises that are given to you by your therapist. You have plenty of time to gain back your strength, so don't hurry. Keep up the excellent recovery!
 
Thanks Jamie,
The doc said: walk, walk, walk. When I had the
LTHR at the end of Nov 2013. I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because of an ice storm. That was the opening act. There was snow and ice on the ground more often than not in Dec & Jan. I could not go outside and walk. It was like purgatory.
Walking does not hurt. I have some PT exercises that do. If it hurts, I stop that exercise and move on. Some days I do two sets, some days only one. Today since I had to go to the doctor and spend 2.5 hours in a car, I took the day off.
I plan to walk 3 or 4 days in a row, then take a day off. Or some days I will skip an exercise, or two. I do something every day, I just never do everything all in one day. I'm not physically capable yet.
Besides, I like variety and doing things in a different order. As long as most of it gets done, the order does not really matter to mse.
I am fortunate to have two months off, and will use it not only to recover from RTHR, but I plan to use the time to get in better shape overall, and play some guitar.
When Sept 01 rolls around I want to be able to get on my bicycle and resume training for a 50-miler next Aug.
I'm not racing anyone except myself.
Thanks for the comments.
I'm not sleepy tonight and my clock says PT starts in 6.5 hours. I can take a nap tomorrow.
 
Well I got today started off early. PT came by at 0820. She had been thinking of me. I guess I have been elevated to high-functioning status, whatever that is.
We used the blue resistance band instead of the green. She proceeded to show me several new levels of hell. It wasn't that bad. They were just new exercises and we finished it off with a 30-second walk sit. Let's just say I was good and warmed up for the walk.
Since I live in Oklahoma, it was windy again... I walked 2.52km in 35-min. Came home and did some protein and gatorade.
Since I was getting an almost immediate cramp Sun +Mon while doing some seated resistance exercises, I thought perhaps I was doing them wrong. Nope. I showed her how I was doing them and she said I was doing them correctly. She said that the surgical process stretches some things and contracts others. If muscle was stretced
excessively, and it has not quite recovered, stretching it more will cause a cramp.
I did the exercise without issue today.
Any day you can get up and get a good workout in early, is a good day. I prefer to call PT a workout, because it is.
Shower time.
 
@dougie0216 your an inspiration,I'm siting waiting for my LTHR on Monday can't wait to start recovery.
Hopefully I'll be able to get on my bicycle before the snow flies.
 
@Gone again Thank you for the kind words. I just feel that hip replacement surgery is a speed bump. Good luck on the 19th. You should be back on the bike before winter.
Yes there will be some pain and some swelling and you might have to learn to walk again after they attach someone else's leg to your body (that is what I felt like after the LTHR.)
I was lucky this time. However, the LTHR was much more challenging and I still got on a bike at 90- days.
I like short-term and long term goals. My short term physical goal is to do everything possible to get back on my bike Sept 01. My long term goal is to ride a 50-miler on 8/25/17.
That way when I have a bad day and go 'why am I doing this, poor me;' I just remember what the goals are and move forward one step at a time. In the beginning those steps may involve a walker...
 
Good afternoon! Same story, different day. I woke up before 7 because friends know I am home and think it is ok to text at 6:30am...
So I drank coffee, did one set of all PT exercises including the new resistance band exercises and then went for a walk. It wasn't quite as windy today. It was already hot when I get through at 0930.
Iced, elevated and in the air-conditioning.
 
Good afternoon everyone. I have been officially chastised by my doctors office. I have been told to dial it down. They did not like that my incision leaked. They asked how far I was walking. I told them, then they told me in no uncertain terms, "Dont!" I am officially forbidden to walk a mile for four weeks. The swelling that causes could compromise the interior stitching. Live and learn. It did not hurt to walk, but evidently the tissue is not up to it yet.
So, here I am, iced and elevated and perusing amazon for work-out shorts. After that, I am going to the dvr to watch some of the items I recorded for moments like this...
I might even tackle my work email, but I'm not to that point of boredom yet:rotfl:
 
Poor guy! I'm sorry you were told to tone it down. Still, better to know than to do damage. I've had two short walks today-going a driveway farther each time. I've been given the clear to drive but only if not taking meds. I'm down to the meloxacam and tramadol-but don't want to push it. Heading to the grocery in a bit. More cart experiences to come! Enjoy your DVR riewing!
 
Road Trip! I have been driving on tramadol since 2011. My hope is to not need anything besides my daily aspirin in a couple of weeks.
This reminds me, I have not tried to back my my car out of the garage yet. It is very low to the ground and is 6-speed manual (standard) transmission. Yes it is a turbo lol. I'm not sure I have enough feet to do it. I'm not even sure I can get in?!?
I've been corrected for overdoing things before. I have found where the limit us, now I can dial it back and not have to wonder where the wall is. I found it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like you so much I'm not even gonna say I told you so. I want to see the pics of you at the Hotter ,n Hell next year so sit your ADHD butt down!!!
I'll torture you religiously so you won't be bored if necessary.:elevate:
 
Back
Top Bottom