THR Left 2013 - Now the right

I just got off the phone with the nurse. I received my pre-surgery instructions, what pills to take/not to take, how to use the lovely anti-bac wipes and et cetera.
Surgery is in T-6 days and counting. I have a three-day weekend to clean house and take care of the yard.
I am glad it is basically summer. It makes my clothing choice to and from the hospital easy. Shorts and t-shirt going - shorts, t-shirt and TED hose coming home.
You know, if we have to wear hose, why are they always white? I mean blue would be nice...
I have increased my work-out routine. Even though it hurt, I just took the stairs two at-a-time a minute ago. All systems are go!
 
I have been working in the yard yesterday and today. Maybe using a shovel this am was not such a good idea:swoon:Ouch! It didn't hurt then, it does now:sigh:
 
Here we are 13 hours before check in. Busy day. I never realized how critical my NSAIDs and vitamins/supplements were in keeping my pain level down. Now that I haven't had any since yesterday, pain is back. Oh well. I can still take tramadol and a muscle relaxer which is like taking a knife to a gunfight:groan:

People have been asking me all day 'are you scared/excited?' Strangely enough I am not. Three years ago I was extremely apprehensive. This time? Meh! I am probably going t get 7-8 hours of sleep. I know what is coming.
The biggest bummer is no morning coffee.
I will post on the other side, good night.
 
Good luck @dougie0216 and my sympathy for having to miss out the coffee. I'm a coffee junky, too. You will double enjoy your lovely coffee the next morning though.
Constanze
 
Hospital check-in in 4hrs. Woke up and did some yoga/stretching. Time to wake spouse. Tick tick tick...
 
On The Other Side:happydance::yay:
Surgery was at 245, it was over at 350 and I started waking up around 440. Pain is manageable, just waiting for nerve block to wear off. I have had coffee and food. I was able to P so no cath:snork:
 
@dougie0216 Sounds like you are doing great.
I still find it fascinating that this whole surgery only takes an hour...
Glad you got a coffee; coffee is very important. :yes!: Take care. Sue
 
Thanks Sue. Block is wearing off so just got some meds. I had the RTHR done much sooner after the symptoms appeared that the LTHR. I did not have all of the ossification that was present in the left side. So it was a much easier surgery and hopefully that translates to the recovery as well:praying:

So quitting running was a good thing. I thought the symptoms in the left side were because I wasn't training enough, had the wrong shoes, was getting old.... I had no clue it was severe OA.
 
Congrats on #2!! Just started reading this thread. I haven't read your stuff from your first one yet.
I had my R done 3.5 years ago. I had been a runner and also thought the pain was anything but OA. That word wasn't even in my vocabulary! When the doc told me I needed a hip because I was bone on bone, I was in shock! Lots of elliptical, bike and swim now!
Keep up the good work!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi @dougie0216 ! Congrats for being on the other side. I wish you a happy recovery.
And I'm also very pleased you were able to eat and have a coffee. I could never go fasting and without coffee for any length of time.

Carry on reporting here.

All the best


Constanze
 
Ditto with the shock of learning OA had my hood shot at age 53 when otherwise healthy and active. Glad we are all recovering and will be able to get back to our activities- And SLEEP - soon. I had bilateral THR on May 1. Good luck dougie0216
 
Good morning everyone.

I know sleep is not overrated. However, this visit will be like my previous one and I will finally get good sleep when I get home Saturday evening.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to all my new hippy friends for taking the time to offer words of encouragement and share their experience.

It is comforting to know we are not alone. Back in late 2013, I received a promotion from my employer while on leave for the LTHR. I will admit to finding what I came for on honestly then going away as soon as I went back to work. Granted I was busy with my new responsibilities in addition to still having my old responsibilities. A brilliant cost saving measure of ever I saw one lol. I will stick around this time. Labs here gotta go...

In hindsight,
 
And I'm back from my first lengthy jaunt around the halls of McBride Orthopedic in OKC. The surgeon Dr Thomas Tkach nailed it! I could tell when I first got out of the fog yesterday afternoon and could really tell it during the 100m or so we just walked. The therapist learned to ski in Alaska just like me so we were talking about missing the same genes
I will use the walker tomorrow to get home and pretend to use it Sunday... Then out comes the cane.
 
Tomorrow for sure. We have plotted the least bumpy route home. No interstates or turnpikes. They are all under construction. We will take the scenic route home.
When do you get to go home?

After my last surgery we did not give enough thought to the route home. OMG it was awful.
 
Back
Top Bottom