Guest viewing is limited

THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Welcome to the other side again @dougie0216 ! Sounds like you are doing well.

Our much missed Poppet posted your recovery articles after your first THR. They have changed a bit so I'll put your new set here. I changed your thread title a bit to cover your latest op. If you would like a different title just give a shout.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Sounds like things are going great. It will be good to be home, that's for sure. I've only had one done so far but like you with your second one, I didn't wait too long to have it done and I agree with you that I think it has helped speed up my recovery.
 
Thanks Jaycey, I noticed a subtle difference no
worries, thanks for all you do!

Wow! What a day. Hospital is full. Got no sleep last nite. That's cool I will have a chauffeur on the way home. My job will be to take hydrocodone and give directions...

I am still amazed at the difference in post surgery functionality and pain versus last time. Better function and less pain. The therapist took me on two walks today. The first was only 18-hours after surgery. Four hours later he took me for another and told me I would hate him tonight. I don't but I am swollen for sure. Dressing change at 0130 and I will have a pic for the Hippie Badge of Honor page.
So I walked 200m today. Also did glute and quad flexes and something else. Aside from the pain associated with swelling all is well.
Going home tomorrow!!! Hard to keep focus with no sleep for 36-hours. I have the attention span...OK I don't have one. After I get some sleep tomorrow I will catch up on how everyone is doing.
Peace, Doug
 
The drain tube just came out. In an hour or so they will come change the dressing. I can't wait to get home and get some sleep. Speaking of drain tubes, remember, that pain is temporary, unlike bone on bone...
 
I actually slept 2.5 hours uninterrupted. The nurse woke me, and I could not figure out who this woman was or why she was standing over me?!? Then it all
Came back to me...
 
Badge of Honor posted! My morning:
01:30-Drain tube removal. 04:10 Dressing change. 05:05-CBC. As my late father would say: Builds Character.

IWannaGoHome
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dougie! Wow! What a morning! How were those first steps? My early morning yesterday consisted of x-ray, labs, OT and PT. Until last night I had only taken the scheduled men's, but pain ramped up so I'm taking the Percocet as needed.
 
Hospitals are the worst place to try and get any sleep. Safe journey home!
 
Great job so far!!! I know you'll be glad to get home so you can rest and heal.
 
I am home and have had a nap. No issues. Have some swelling. Took some stool softeners wish me luck!:umm:
 
Now that I am home, I am watching baseball on tv, my knees and ankles are completely supported and elevated higher than my heart. I have ice on the swelling since I have walked and done a set of PT tasks. My new normal for the next 6-weeks.
 
drain tubes, remember, that pain is temporary, unlike bone on bone...
Oh goodness me. Yes how very true. That was super intense:censored: pain for 3 to 5 seconds. But well put: bone on bone hour long pain is much, much worse.
 
Your an old hand at this dougie.
Well done thus far.
Joe......
 
I don't really know how long I just slept because I am not sure what time I fell asleep, but it was in neighborhood of 11-hrs:thumb: aside from swelling all is well. I need some food and coffee!
 
I just readjusted the hose, swelling about what I would expect. 11 hours +5 means 16 hrs over 4 days. More please. How is your swelling?

I dislike looking at the hose so I have some light-weight slippery polyester house pants on top. Makes it easier to slide on sheets or covers. So I can't see what's going on, either and I don't really want to look over my toes at the tv and see hose, swelling, interesting flesh corlorations and etc
 
Afternoon Update : Did my PT and went for a walk around the yard. Doc said it was ok to work out upper body with light weights so I did a few reps with a 10# barbell.
I did not receive enough dressings to change the gauze everyday. So I settled for washing up / sponbath at the sink.
I am now back in the bed, with the IceMan chilling the front/sides and my bum/uppermost hamstring is on a flexible liquid-filled chemical-icebag covered by a towel so I don't frostbite my butt:heehee:
And I have a large cup of coffee and a Gatorade on the nightstand. Bagels and creamcheese/strawberry jelly for lunch.
Watching River Monsters on animal planet and about to watch some programs on dvr. And nap.
 
Congrats on the new hip @dougie0216 !! Gatorade and a good cup of java while icing and elevating sounds great. Just think, both hips are done.. yahoo!
 
Both hips! The first one was an an all encompassing, huge deal. This one is more just get it fixed and move on. Pain sucks and if you don't have to live with it, fix it and get your life back. The same doc has looked at my knees and even though I have chomdromalacia, I had that when I was 16... They are going to hurt but aside from nsaids not much they can do. They don't keep me awake, they just hurt during the day for no reason. I can live with that.
 
Dougie, I'm glad to see you made it through the surgery and home recovering! I hope the recovery is speedy for you so you can get back to doing what you enjoy doing without pain. You know the drill, ...do those PT exercises every day and a lot of ice.
Good to see you you made it to the other side....again!
Blessings, Vinnie
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom