THR Left 2013 - Now the right

So sorry Dougie for your loss...I guess it puts things into perspective....so sad. You are such an inspiration!! So happy you are doing good and active!!
 
Praying for good news soon. TRY not to do anything you don't have to do physically while you're there.
You have nothing to make up for...
Nervous energy? Can't you do a crossword or use one of those dumb spinner things you put in between your finger that's all these rage, or something.
You worry the bejeezs out of me.
 
@dougie0216 Please be gentle with yourself.you have lots going on. I'm glad you can find humor in your wife's conversations with your DS. I always thought my DSs short answers were part of being 15-maybe he has a future in physics! I missed the comment on the Texas shaped waffles! Nifty! Hope the swelling is going down with ice and elevation. Please keep us posted! Prayers and good wishes from Indiana.
Michele
 
I'll try a different approach, ya'll!
Now Dougie sit your butt down and chill! That's what we're all saying.....right?

In all seriousness, you're doing great. Your progress has been phenomenal but we worry @dougie0216
because we're all in this together. Take some chill time while in Texas, give the workouts a break, you'll still be miles ahead of us all. Give your son a hug, whisper in your daughter in laws ear, tell her you miss her and want her to come back, put your arm around wifey and go on a leisurely stroll through the halls of the hospital, counting your blessings along the way. We're here for you, we all luv ya!

Keep us posted......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey. How are you hanging in there? Been doing allot of hospital time with my sister. Hate it for her, and me.
Hope things are at least stable and you aren't too squirrelly.
Just wanted you to know wet are thinking of you.
 
Hi @dougie0216
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Wishing for a positive change....some good news....
Hopefully you're comfortable and getting the rest you need.
Give us an update when you have the time.
 
Happy Day 60! Thank you for the kind comments.

We made it back last night and I was just to worn out to post. I slept 12-hours last night, I took a whole muscle relaxer and a tramadol when we got home.

There has been no real change in DIL's condition. She is not receiving any drugs keeping her under. The nurses pinch her occasionally too see if pain is registering. It definitely is. When she was pinched yesterday morning she opened her eyes and looked at her mom, then looked sideways at the nurse who pinched her. So she knew she was pinched and identified the person who was pinching her.
We think everyone has now realized this is going to take months. It's a shame that a young family has to deal with life at such an early age.

I am icing and elevating today. I could lie and say I'm not in pain. I do have some swelling, so all I am going to do today is watch the dvr and move the ice packs in the great circle route around my upper right thigh.

We did have fun on the way back. We went and met my new, 4-weeks old, great nephew. We went to lunch with my niece, her significant other and the baby. We had some excellent Mediterranean Cuisine in Denton, TX. My niece and her boyfriend are working on PhD's.
After that we went to a meat market in Meunster, TX. Meunster was founded by German immigrants in the 1800's. We bought a lot of sausage to bring home. We also drove around and looked at real estate. We are not that far from retirement. If we don't retire in New Mexico we are thinking about somewhere just outside of the DFW metroplex.

I got out and walked several times and we drove on blacktop pavement as much as possible as opposed to cement freeways/interstates. I drove halfway home or about 100-miles. So I don't hurt as much today as I did Saturday, but I am still swollen. So I am chillaxing today!
I should be good to go tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @dougie0216
So nice to hear from you and learn you are doing well and now refreshed from a 12 hr sleep!
I'm sorry to hear there's no change in your daughter in laws condition but at least it hasn't worsened.
Feeling a pinch and recognizing who did it sounds hopeful. Waiting months for her recovery sounds difficult for her loved ones. Especially if there's uncertainty involved. I will keep her in my prayers as well as your son who has to painfully watch from the sidelines.
Sorry to hear you're in pain but hopefully the rest, icing and elevating will help. Please take it easy tomorrow and get back into it all slowly. You've come too far to ruin the progress you've made.
A great evening to you!
 
@dougie0216 I have been following your thread, though don't have time to post too often. However, just had to pop in and send thoughts and prayers for your daughter-in-law. My mom had a brain bleed, so have an idea what your family is dealing with. Glad to hear you were able to go to the hospital, albeit a long haul with your recovery. Hang in there, you are doing well with your healing.
 
Hi, glad you managed the tŕip and are now home safe @dougie0216 I bet in addition to all the driving and activities that stress has come into play in causing pain and swelling. I'm sending positive vibes and prayers your way. I hope it all turns out well and your daughter in law is on the mend. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
Prayers to your daughter in law and all of your family during this very difficult time....we are all here for you ❤
 
My daughter lived in fort worth 7 years...I had been out there lots!! She is back near me Now thank God..but Texas was off the chain with housing and living costs...so cheap!!!! Beautiful state and the kindest people!!! I could live there likes queen with my retirement!! Stuck in the dreaded state of NY horrible expenses here!!!! Lots people have leave here after retiring....very hard to afford unless you have good retirement funds set up in advance!!
 
I'm So glad you are home and resting.
New Mexico is beautiful. I lived in Arizona as a child and it certainly is a different hot than Georgia from what I remember.
Be good to yourself.
 
So glad to hear that you are safely home. I'm glad that you are taking time to care for yourself by icing and elevating. It sounds like your DIL is becoming more aware. I will continue to pray for her, and for your family. How nice that you could visit with family on the way home. It sounds like the trip to the German market was productive. Do I sense some grilling will happen soon?
Rest well,
Michele
 
@dougie0216 , I'm so glad you made it home safely. Well, although I'm not religious, I'll send you and your daughter in law prayers anyway and maybe they'll help. Anyway, I wish you all the best. It seems such a same when that happens to young adults. I'm also glad you did something that cheers one up like seeing the baby. Also - the market in the German-founded town sounds interesting. Enjoy all the German sausage (Wurst). Hugs from Constanze
 
Glad you are home safely. Rest day is a great plan... I am sure you will be back to normal soon. Still praying for DIL and your son. Tough road ahead for both of them.

The German wursts are the best! My dad was born in Germany so those gems have been a staple in summers on the grill. Yum!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Doug - think I must have forgotten to press the "send" button earlier

Just to say that. I am pleased you made it back home ok and hope you are the recipient of better news in the days and weeks to come

Best wishes from across the pond
Peter
 
Weinerschnizel ...that's what I'm craving. I'm am air force brat that spent 5 years in Germany.
Want to eat something more exotic than tuna fish or chicken salad sandwich but it's been so hot.
Love to have some fresh seafood but nobody here feels like cooking and to much trouble to go out.
 
Happy Day 62. Yesterday was a mental health day. All I did was ice, elevate and watch the dvr. I finally have the swelling down to almost nil. It was frustrating to see what a short roadtrip did to my thigh, swelling-wise.

I hit it walking today. I walked 1.5mi, did a few light weights, did some mat exercises and then commenced cleaning the house. No soreness or swelling to speak of. Just the same, I am iced and elevated, sort of an insurance policy.

DIL is waking up slightly and responding to verbal commands. She gave a thumbs-up and a peace sign yesterday when asked to do so.

I can't believe tomorrow is 9-weeks.

@Constanze Me either, I send good karma.

@Mojo333 Lawton actually has a decent German Restaurant. My personal favorite is jagerschnitzel. When I lived in Anchorage, our neighbor was Austrian. After he retired, he opened a restaurant. His weinerschnitzel was to die for.

@PS46 The news is getting better, thank you.

@Donnarita I consider Texas my home country. Crossing the Red River going south is always a good feeling. It is also like going 10-15 years into the future compared to where I live. A lot of people think Texas is backwards. They haven't been to DFW, Austin or Houston lately...

@313Lola Being home chilling for a couple of days was needed. Our favorite sausage is this German/Hispanic concoction. It is a sausage made with jalapeno, cheese and taco seasoning. OMG, your mouth just jumps for joy! And you can breathe after you are through. We also bought a couple of summer sausages and some smoked pepper-jack cheese.

@Nivea Thank you. Bleeds are a scary thing. I had a doctor 20-years ago who had one while on a ski trip. He has to quit seeing patients. All the info was still in there, he just had trouble accessing it. What a shame.

@cpollock Thanks for the good vibes.I needed them. I was feeling beat down. I'm back.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom