TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @tiredwife Have to pick up a few things tomorrow and then baking some stuff just a lemon and some oats. I signed up for the Betty Crocker site one day when someone on a cross stitch group I belong to mentioned that calenders were being sent out with recipes but they replied that shipping was not for Canadian customers but now they send me recipes over the internet on their site.

They showed cookies that were striped with vanilla and pink dough . Theirs were made in squares but remember making the ones that were shaped like candy canes have you ever made these. You made ropes of vanilla dough and then ropes of pink dough twisted them together like a candy cane and then made a little hook shape at the top by bending the twisted ropes to form a cane. I also liked the thumbprint cookies that were rolled into small balls and then dipped in egg whites and then rolled in chopped nuts a thumbprint made in the centre and filled with jam. We took these to a bake sale that we had every year to help raise money for our stores Christmas party and they went quick so easy to going to see if I can find the recipe like shortbread but nutty coating.

My Gramma my Dads Mom was an amazing baker so was my Gram and Mom to. My Gramma was the baker in a tea shop in our city it was a cozy place and she could make anything most of her recipes were made with a pinch and a little bit not too many of them are on paper she did write some out for my Mom when we were growing up casseroles she made and jams and things but she had a family to feed money at that time was not easy for anyone she lived through the depression and came from a large family grew up on a farm. Never heard her say so much work , or that she was tired, she always seemed to be happy she loved her life and the people who were part of it.

The tea shop sold breads and buns and cookies , all sorts of stuff and she baked them. She would have used recipes there and with her love of cooking and baking she kept them in her head remembering how they were made she was always cooking something could put on a meal for more then 20 without even thinking about it she had a talent and all even those who dropped in were made welcome she loved all of us so many relatives, they have all left us now

She made so many things and sewed quilts with my great Auntie Maggie that were left for us just needed to be quilted 5 for each grand child so much love went into these quilts. She could sew and crochet, knit , cook she had a little house but she could make room for all who came. Remembering her plum pudding, the turkey she cooked was enormous she had hams all sorts of vegetables all made by her , always a wonderful smell of something cooking , bread baking, She must have worked for days to get it all together but never ever made you feel it was a bother to her.

My Dad was the last one left his brothers and his sister and his Mom and Dad had all died before him he was like my Gramma he and my Gramma and I were almost identical in our baby pictures he told me this when we were sitting with him at their home one morning while I was getting his pills ready he said you know Hol which he called me we looked the same and now noticing my license picture and seeing his we both still have the same features.

My Gramma broke her hip one day she fell outside her house and she left her house then not to return no longer to bake or cook or sew she was still very positive but know how much these things that she loved to do were missed. When I started high school I had a bad infection in behind my ear drum and remembering when my family doctor found this was the problem after tests on my ear he placed me in the hospital worried that my hearing would possible be lost.
When I came home from school that day my Mom told me that my doctor had called he had a room for me in the hospital so we went walking down the hall and into the room they had placed me in who did I see but my Gramma. She had been moved from her room and this was the room they had given her. Calling out Gramma as I went in she started to cry they were surprised when I said her name as they did not know I would be with family and she started to cry we spent two weeks together there side by side and how wonderful to have this time being with her.

I used to take my intervenious stand over to her bed when she was trying to get help and managed to get her water and things if they did not see her light flashing. She cried when I went home and so did I how much sharing this room with her meant to both of us and how much we liked being together.

Just shortly after this it was decided that she could not live in her house anymore she was not longer able to get around and she was placed in a nursing home this was when she started to deteriorate she knew she was not going home she gave up and she tried so hard to stay strong and how much her ways have stayed with me she had pnemonia as the lady in home insisted on having the window open and my Gramma got a chill my parents made a complaint and thought the window was being closed it was winter time cold so at 83 she died but so thankful for the time that we spent together wondering how my placement in her room took place believe we have a guardian angel.

In those days people with broken hips lost their independance and how far we have come now people can have replacements and get their lives back again. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My Moms Mom was amazing to my Gram loved to bake and she made things to take to the hospital to sell on bake sales for teas, treats to give to patients she made then every year . We spent Christmas with my Gramma for many years always went to my Grams for New Years. My Gram also loved us coming she had everything well planned and she cooked so many nice things to. My Gram and Grampa and my Mom and Dad and all of us 5 kids.
She never made you feel like it was a lot of work knowing it was but she enjoyed being with all of us and so did my Grampa. We did so many things together even went camping with my Grampa my Gram was working but so many things and they were very giving of their time. She baked lots of bars and fancy little cookies we looked forward to watching the pictures that my Gram and Grampa took she had them made into slides and we love them.

When they retired from their jobs my Gram wanted to travel back to places she had travelled to with her family her Dad was a blacksmith and veterinarian with the British army and she was born in Africa when they stopped there. They had waited and when time they started to go on trips, they had saved a little to help them on this journey but after a few trips my Grampa started to have signs of heart problems he worked in a mine during his younger days before coming to Canada and this is why he came from Scotland to go from the mines and find a new place to live and find someone he would marry. This is where he married my Gram and then they had my Mom.

My Grampa had a heart attack during one trip and this was his last holiday doing this. He was put in the hospital when he came home and after a few more heart attacks he died. My Gram travelled with a friend a few more times a good friend of hers my Grampa wanted her to go she missed him so much though they wanted to do it together.

Feeling a closeness a connection to people we remember with love who we have so much in common with . The memories of my Gram our talks we are very much like one another she loved life, very modern in her ways she has left me with special things we had in common , our love of family, our love of flowers in the garden, the times we spent our talks and sharing of our enjoyment of time spent together,

My Gramma her love of making things , the little angel in the blue dress she wanted to make sure was given to me from her she asked my Dad to make sure she did not get lost. her sewing machine hoping I would love to sew the things she did and get enjoyment creating things with my hands, and her love for his children my Dad his sister and my uncles and her husband and her life she breathed kindness and cared for people she was surrounded by. And the quilts left that I have managed to quilt still have 2 to go.

My Dad who left me with so many great memories when ever I do something knowing he would want me to be and all of my family to be happy, he was proud of whatever we could do, always felt like he only wanted all of us to be safe and happy and he was such an unselfish man my Dad is my inspiration taught me to be myself and try to look at the positive in things and knowing how important we all were to him and how much he loved us just in the way he was not hugging type just showed you by being the most wonderful Dad I could have ever wished for. Missing all of them and trying to make them proud. Holly

 
Hi @Pumpkln We did lots with my Moms Mom and Dad my Gram and Grampa they used to take each of us sometimes together and sometimes on our own. We spent a few years together sharing a cottage with them with my family and then before that the summers we camped they would take on or two of us kids with them for their holiday at the same cottage place right on the water Georgian Bay before my parents went and rented the cottage with them. Every Saturday night they came to our house and visited, my Dad and my Grampa would do things or just talk , You could hear us all calling up the street Gramma and Grampa are coming even our dog Daisy would get excited and see them very special for all of us. Sometimes she would bring something she had learned to do and teach us to make something one night she brought stuff to make little books out of a doily, plastic wrap, a bar of nice soap and my Mom offered the pins to put it all together we had so much fun with them. Simple pleasures but so much enjoyed

My Dad used to take his Mom my Gramma for groceries on Saturday mornings and we went along with him to help so this was time with this Gram and then visiting her to. My Gramma my Dads Mom came for supper with us through the week and we could see her when we came home from school. My Gramma always wore a cotton print dress and usually an apron when she was home. One day she decided to save anyone the trip to pick her up so she walked to our house it was a bit of a walk up a hill down a hill up a hill and then down our street my Dad was going to pick her up that day and was surprised when he went to her house she was not there she decided to come on her own and she walked all that way so happy to get to see all of us. and we enjoyed seeing her. Made of really good stuff she did not give up never heard her complain. Next time my Mom went early to make sure she did not walk that far afraid she would get hurt or fall not wanting anything to happen to her she was amazing.
 
@lavender Holly I have never made those candy cane cookies, but I have made the thumbprint cookies.
It was amazing that you and your gram got to share a room. I only had one grandparent that I remember and that was my mom's mom. She had a stroke when my mom was still in school. She was pretty much paralyzed on one side and couldn't talk very well. I didn't spend much time with her and wasn't very close to her. It was great that you were close to yours.
 
Hi @tiredwife The candy cane cooikes are really pretty but take time to roll the dough into ropes and need to work quick as the longer you handle the dough the harder to form the candy cane not really hard just a little finicky to do. My Gramma that worked in the tea shop died just after I started working full time at the store my husband who was my boyfriend at that time never met her but know he would have got along great with her she would have liked him as he appreciates the things that she did and she was a very kind woman. Very giving of herself. My Dad's Dad my Grampa died when I was very small just starting school and remember just glimpses of him he is remembered as being a nice man hard working and wish I had of had more time with him .

They say he was so much like my Dad. One of my Dads brothers died the week before my Grampa he had a tooth pulled came home infection went through his system and he died so remembering two funerals my parents went to only a week apart we were small . My best friends parents asked if I could come and spend time with them at this time for a few days just to give them time for the funerals at the time just three of us kids and my Mom was pregnant with my brother the one I spend so much time with.

My girlfriends parents were really good to me so were my family but her parents liked me so I went places with them to. We became best friends on the first day of Kindergarten and told each other they took me where they went if my parents said ok I think they thought of me just like one of their kids and shortly after kindergarten my friend Heathe'rs sister died she was just a baby only saw her twice she had asthma and died just before we met so they were happy when she told them she had made a friend. They had a little tent over her crib and she had a hard time breathing her Dad has asthma to so sad they had a hard time of it and thinking they had me stay for the few days to keep them company to.

We have just set up our tree it took a while so pretty when finished but my husband said he thinks next year we will have another one used to have one with hinges that was easy to set up. Now sitting legs are tired helping to put it together lots of branches all with numbers which are coming off so we had to keep arranging it as finding some big branches were missing and then changing them around row to row it looks nice now.

Butter is softening and then shortbread I hope if things go the way I hope. Going out for a little bit to do some shopping and then home looking forward to sitting and relaxing the mall is busy and hoping to pop in and out and not stay too long. Hope you are having a nice day Holly
 
@lavender Holly, I have asthma and so do my kids and grandson. I guess the trait is passed on. I have it the worst of them all, which I'm glad it is me and not them. It didn't show up in me until I was 22. My son and my grandson (my daughter's boy) got it young. My daughter got it when she was older. It can be scary at times.
Glad you got your tree up. I haven't done ours yet. I've got to go make my Christmas cakes. Have a great day!
 
What a mess the computer support company we deal with is in trouble and with the things they have been found to be doing they have been shut down and are up on legal charges. Noticing the past while things are working strange. One of the complaints that is listed is the many many emails stating the risks of virus stuff and this is one of the reasons they are being investigated. Lately so many emails and then wondering why today when trying to check on that site it is locked our computer keeps freezing message is saying the site is busy so trying to find someone who can explain.

I was given a phone number that I tried to call and it is just repeating the message over and over also received a message they were updating our anti virus so wanting to call and ask why they went ahead without asking think I liked the day before the internet always seem to be trying to fix something I would miss bonesmart and a few of the sites my husband uses he like to play chess on this but frustrated at the things that I can't fix on my own.

We can go to our library every day for 45 minutes and use the internet there on their computer so if this does not get repaired think we will go there and still have time to visit bonesmart but wondering why lately it feels like some one on another end is messing things up with our computer hope they get it fixed as we are paid up till the end of the month and were not planning to renew with them happy I checked today and read the explanation scarey how places you are supposed to trust to be closed down this way. The main time spent is bonesmart for me not very computer oriented but have enjoyed bonesmart so will still check in at the library if this is not rectified must be so many people and businesses wondering what happened.
 
Hi@tiredwife It is working ok at the moment but trying to get through to them about our anti virus wondering if when they closed the company down if they left our computer the way it was hoping so. The company we deal with is located in Florida and signed up with them last Christmas when things were not working correctly they helped to repair our computer and thought they were pretty dependable but after trying to get in touch with them after the last call and the technician I had did a few things to it I wanted to have put back the way they were no one there so no understand what happened. We were waiting for our subscription to run out so may this was a good thing it happened before we might have signed up for another year. T

Two appointments tomorrow for pre-op with my surgeon and with the specialist for my appointment and his office called tonight asking if my husband would like his appointment moved to the same day as mine to save us going back on Friday thought that was nice of them so no appointments now on Friday so happy.

Well off to bed a little early tonight early appointment tomorrow for both of us and then one more thing taken care of off the list. Have a good night Holly
 
Getting ready to go first appointment at 8:50 with my surgeon . I really like him he is nice talks quiet, very caring man. My first impression of him was not sure how I felt as he did not say much and thought he was not interested but he really does. I know I am in good hands with his care he has a really good reputation and a my impression of him is he is wonderful. My surgeon is older then we are he has been a surgeon for a long time and trust him so it will be nice to have a visit with him this morning for my pre-op.

My other appointment is with the specialist he will be checking my medications, a very nice man to very polite and knows what he is doing he is the specialist that my husband goes to and he is very respected by both of us for the care he has given my husband without him he might not be here. Medications all packed to take with me , my husband is having his appointment with this specialist before my appointment so nice they fit him in today as they had a cancellation and that saves goes back on Friday.

Today we will be decorating our tree all set up and now just put on the lights and ornaments it will be pretty when done feeling more rested today my legs are not as sore now wondering if we had a touch of the flu as we are now both feeling much better.

Went to the mall yesterday just to pick up a few things found a few nice movies for my husband I know he was talking about and after doing my shopping found a nice place to sit and wait for my husband to do what he was doing then home.

No matter where I go find I always see someone I know yesterday sitting on the seat I had two people came up and wanted to talk ask how we both were and sat with me till he came back. Funny how many people you meet along your way in life and how even if they have not seen you for a while they remember. Asking how my knee was doing and telling them about my surgery.

Working with the public so many years in retail, people you went to school with that still remember you even after many years. We age and get older look a bit older, one guy came up went to school with him in public school and he remembered my family and us in school. We change in some ways but what makes us who we are basically the important part of what makes us us stays the same. Holly
 
I very seldom go into the mall now try to find stores that have a front door easy to get into from the parking lot so not often to the mall. Our store was located at the end of the mall the first part of the mall that was built before the other additions were built. Every Christmas the mall was decorated ribbons, and wreaths, and decorated beautifully. Missing the festive ornaments yesterday looking at the stores who would know it was Christmas no decorations and other then Santa Claus down the center aisle no sign not even much in the store windows.

Maybe other parts but not where I was sitting. We had a nativity scene is was carved from stone and always sat at the main aisles no longer there. Understanding we are trying to respect others beliefs but what about our Christmas . Not good for business do they not realize the decorations and lights also inspire people to shop the music and decorations make it feel festive. The last years of working at our store the Christmas display was placed at the back of the store we were not allowed to put up decorations that had always been expected years before and walking into our store aside from some Christmas music playing it just looked like another day .

Surrounded by Christmas ornaments for some years could get too much it started many years in October so by Christmas it could be too much but missing it yesterday such a pretty time of the year, understanding everyone does not celebrate Christmas but even if not for the religious side of it if not believed one time of the year where we get together and pretty ornaments and lights make it so nice to not thinking till I came home and then wondering why such a drastic change. Holly
 
I agree @bottomshollow and @tiredwife. It is just a shame that we can't all celebrate our traditions this should be appreciated by all we can all celebrate our own way without hiding what we do. Each religious celebration or any celebration whatever you culture should be respected and wondering how pretty lights and the decorations we enjoy could offend anyone but knowing they do. Happy I grew up when I did things seemed simpler back then.

Today's appointments went wonderful. So happy to see my surgeon he is a great person. My appointment started off with the receptionist recording my medications that I was asked to bring with me. Actually had a nice little talk with her and she was so much easier to talk to today. Then my surgeon called me it was my turn and before seeing him I talked to another woman who told me she was going to take care of me for a few minutes she explained she was going to open up her own practice and then asked me a few things ending with well when it is all done you will be going to physio again like last time I suppose. I told her no not happening the way it did first time around she listened and I explained. She told me if I was anxious about having the surgery they could give me something to help and I explained that I was not worried last time just about the time away from driving and that I am not anxious or worried this time as I have complete faith in my surgeon and know he is the best.

So happy when my surgeon a few minutes into the time with the other lady peaked in and said I am here to rescue you told him I have complete confidence in whatever he does and thankful he is the surgeon doing my surgery. I trust him he is someone I feel comfortable with we know each other now after my surgery and he knows how things went last time with the pt.

He told her that she did not have to stay with me during the movie I could handle it knew what would happen. She told him she did not show me the movie as after my first replacement would know how it went. I told him I was happy with my first replacement we talked about the difficulty with getting bend and he said I had a good outlook he said not all were that positive and this made me feel nice.

My surgeon also mentioned that this time we would be going into the surgery eyes wide open knowing what to expect he told me the focus on bending caused the extreme swelling last time and this would not be the focus. He will not allow the aggressive treatment that pt caused last time around he also said as I was told on Bone smart the first day I found this wonderful place that if not for the aggressive pushing my knee would not have given me so much pain and swelling. So this time the soft easy approach, no pt where threatened the first week that manipulation would be suggested push harder he was upset angry that this was the way the pt treated me.

He said don't be surprised this time the bend might come so much easier taking it easy he said coming home limiting the stress placed on my new knee things may not be as painful either. I asked about medication for pain and said that as he knows that the pain medication did not work last time no relief. I told him that I seemed to be calling all the time for more and still no relief.

I told him that it made me feel like I was an addict calling and sometimes being left for 3 days his secretary did not always get the message to him and sometimes even calling three days ahead calling that soon meant calling after getting my prescription filled meant going without. He looked at me and said you did not get addicted right so do not let your pills run out call when you need them keep ahead of the pain. I told him I tried that last time but with the hassle of refilling the pills started to count them trying to see how I could make them last longer so not having to deal with calling again he said this will not happen this time he will make sure that pills will be reissued when asked for. I also told him stopped taking pain pills at 7 weeks as at that time he had said he thought needing 6 a day was too many worried taking too many but not enough.

I had a great visit with him answered my questions and feel things are going to go great . My next visit was with the endocrinologist . My husband goes to him to. Nice man very kind he talked to me about the risks of the surgery checked my pills and checked my feet asked me to show him where I inject my insulin each night, told me what pills I should take the morning before surgery.

He thinks the medication for diabetes needs to be reduced and recommending to my doctor the changes he is suggesting as he said one for sure should not be needed now. Wish I could go to him instead of the diabetic clinic as he specializes in diabetes as well and know how it all works. He will be taking care of me while in the hospital so maybe he can see if things can be turned different. Also sending my husband to have sleep apnea check a night in the hospital and recommending to my doctor to send me to as he said having diabetes can cause things like this to get worse.

A great day two visits now off the list, telling both I will them on the day of my surgery and feeling safe that I am in the best of hands for my surgery.

Three more appointments next week and then one more the week following this and now 18 more days till my surgery. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @tiredwife We had a nap this afternoon just so tired so we had a little lay down and feeling better now. The clinic that my surgeon has his office in was really nice today it looked like Christmas. They had tables set up all down the hallway leading to the surgeons offices and they were set up with coffee pots and tea, cookies, bars and all types of Christmas goodies. Did not stop as we had another appointment to get to but wish we had they all looked so good and a little bit of sugar would have been just a bit.

Thought it was nice they did this and the message said to all of our wonderful people hope you enjoy a treat as you wait. They looked like the people working in the clinic might have baked very pretty and brought their baking in to share looked so good. No more appointments now till next week and then three for me and one for my husband. Hope you are having a nice week and wishing you a restful sleep Holly
 
@lavender Holly glad you got a nap in! That is a lot of appointments next week, to bad they can't combine them. You have a great evening.
 
Hi @tiredwife Trying to get things all ready so next week is two for pre-op one for my three month checkup with my family doctor and one for my husband with our family doctor to. My dentist appointment is at 8:00 on Friday booked it for early in the morning in case I had an appointment for pre-op the same day but then my appointment for surgery changed so all worked out fine. Hoping the date for my husbands stay at the hospital is not at the same time of my recovery as will not be driving and thinking it will probably take time till they can fit him in he will be monitored overnight to determine if he has sleep apnea and his specialist suggested that I have an appointment booked to as he said it would be a good idea being we are diabetic, received a notice that my time for female exams are due to it all comes at the same time well although this exam is really important it will have to wait for now talking to my doctor on Monday just not enough time now. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom