THR Lateral entry, no restrictions!

@Mutwa Sorry about your TMJ and ear pain. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
I had a bout of TMJ pain during my recovery, luckily mine didn't get as painful as your is. Does warm compresses help?
I hope you sleep well tonight.
 
@Mutwa Sorry about your TMJ and ear pain. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
I had a bout of TMJ pain during my recovery, luckily mine didn't get as painful as your is. Does warm compresses help?
I hope you sleep well tonight.

Warm and cold helps. Also, I had some muscle relaxant, Tizinadine. Doc let me use it, alternating with hydrocodone. This worked well.
 
Two major surgeries close together will tire the body out. Takes so much energy for healing not much left for other things. As you know, this will pass. I hope you have a peaceful day.
 
Week 2 left hip.

Saw the physical therapist today. She said I am more swollen than on Friday. I agree, I think I reached peak swelling yesterday, including black and blue inferior to the incision. Yesterday, I could feel it behind my knee. That's better today.

I was able to shift to tramadol for pain relief, That and plenty of ice.

Non-op leg pain, lateral and slightly superior to the knee. I think the issue is how I'm supporting the knee while lying and sitting. Also, I think I'm losing some muscle tone from not exercising it enough.

Seeing OS Thursday to get staples out.
 
Last edited:
Day 9. Well, I’m now off narcotics for over 24 hrs. I determined that narcotics weren’t making a difference. Some nausea and diarrhea from withdrawal, but overall, my upper back has more pain than the hip.

Seeing surgeon tomorrow. Setting up to do PT on the back and coaching in a gym with a DPT on the hip, since Medicare only allows PT on one area at a time.
 
Hello @Mutwa
Great news! It's so nice to hear all is well. Now if you can just catch up on some restorative rest you'll feel like SuperMan. :wink:
Wishing you a peaceful evening and sound sleep tonight. :sleep:
 
Another step on the recovery road. Always nice to get those pesky staples out.
 
Week three.

Still on a cane except for short distances.

Using muscle relaxant PRN at night. I talked to a nurse who had herself had THR, and she agreed that that helped her, too. I don’t know why it seems that patients don’t know about that possibility. I only knew about this non-narcotic form of pain control from a Sportsmed doctor. And with my occasional muscle spasms (improving), it’s particularly appropriate.
 
Began light workouts today, moving toward strength training. Overhead presses and bodyweight squats to a chair today. Felt good. Hopefully a last or penultimate physical therapy session tomorrow and I will move on to coaching with a DPT sidelining as a coach in the next two weeks.
 
DPT added some difficulty to exercises. Or most interest, she's having me do standing lateral leg lifts against a wall, to start bringing the external rotators (cut in posteriorlateral approach) back into operation. Still using a cane outside the house, due to mild Trendelenburg gait.
 
How's your body and your most recently operated leg responding to the PT? Sounds like you like the PT.
 
How's your body and your most recently operated leg responding to the PT? Sounds like you like the PT.

With less soreness than preop. Sure it’s a pain in the butt, but nothing naproxen or Celebrex and a little ice won’t fix.

I plan to shift to a strength coach (Starting Strength certified, who’s also a DPT), as soon as I can do 1ft step ups, and have thrown away the cane.

External rotators are still weak because they were cut and sutured back to the bone. So that also needs to come back.

Thanks
 
Week 4: Celebrated with overhead press, body weight squats to a bench, and rack pulls from the knees. Can walk without a cane with mild Trendelenburg, which I can make go away if I focus.

Some out of bounds pain arose in the glute while walking yesterday, so stopped. It’s good today.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom