Guest viewing is limited

TKR Late Bloomer<

Hi @zzevi
I'm glad you are doing well with the wound vac. Regarding the infection risk I know I was concerned to discover that after a TKR there's a lifetime risk. I'd also like to find out how you would know you had an infection if there were no obvious signs. Ive used various natural substances and foods with antibiotic properties, not as an alternative to prescribed drugs, but more in the hope of prevention. I'm talking about things like colloidal silver, bee propolis, oregano oil, olive leaf extract and turmeric. They don't have any side effects if used sensibly.
This is an interesting discussion, I'm learning a lot, though I'm sorry you are having to go through this stressful experience.
Hope your treatment will be a complete success.
Tabby xxx
 
@Tabbycat yep think it's just another thing that isn't discussed much. I knew I needed to be careful with dental wk but you learn so much more afterwards. May be it is spelled out but we over look some of because we know we need the replacement.
 
I don't want to spread gloom and doom but my husband had an infection about ten years after his TKR. He was 88 at the time and not in the best of health. It does remind me to be careful and try to stay in good health and take the necessary precautions. I think keeping our immune system strong is important.
 
@Floridagal, did y'all find out where your husband's infection originated? It obviously wasn't from his knee, was it?
 
No. It was a mute question. He had surgery to "clean out the infection" and ended up with a minor stroke. There was a cascading effect and . . . I rejoice that I had 15 wonderful years with him.
 
Oh Amy Jo, I'm so sorry. 88 years old is a nice long life!
 
Was in Wed for my dressing change, had a little teeny tiny amount of healing, measurements are taken each time of the wound. Will see the wound care dr. next Wed, but my thoughts is this could easliy be a 6 wk process. Which kind of bummed me out. The wound overall I thought and so did the nurse looks better.
 
Infections can be stubborn. Even though I had a washout and 2 different antibiotics it still seemed for a full month afterward. Progress may be slow, but it's still progress, which you weren't seeing before.
 
I know I need to continue to have patience thru this process. I wear that wound vac and I guess I am expecting miracles. It's just been a longer road to travel then expected, but progress no matter how small is progress.
 
You have faced more challenges than many of us, you deserve your miracle and a speedy recovery!!!
 
Started writing a post earlier and didn't hit the post reply, probably was a good thing I suppose. Really feeling my lack of patience. Friday after making it all week is a hard and tiring day, glad to come home and chill. Tonight I needed a chiropractor appt for my back which has been bothering me and to get up to have my dressing changed for the wound vac. Chiropractor appt went fine, ordered supper to go while I went to have the dressing changed and the waitress taking the order put me on hold and never came back, should have taken that as a sign, went for dressing change and regular nurse who's been wonderful was off for the night, and I know she informed others of her absence and that I would be coming in, it was like no one was eager to help do this dressing change. I was put into a room and waited a half hour after my scheduled time, by the time she did come in this other nurse my blood pressure was running high....I was ticked. ( my time is worth something to me ) She didn't understand the directions left my the regular nurse, I had to help walk her thru it even tho she said she's done wound care treatment before. ( I had my doubts ) Really hoping she found all the inside wound packing, it is small pieces I know she found one ( it bothers me, so I look away ) and she thought she found the other piece but it seemed really small. A measurement of the wound should be done each time, it didn't happen today. Hoping the dressing change holds up till Monday, I was thinking the whole time, I know how to do this myself, I've seen it done about 7 x's at this pt. The only thing that would keep me from even trying is it needs the tunnels in the wound to be packed at this point.
I am just frustrated with my care, I'm not asking for any special treatment, I am just asking that I get waited on in a timely fashion, by people who know what their doing. It may be a inconvenience for them, but it's even more so for me, bathing is difficult, walking is hard as my leg is so strapped up with this dressing to hold the packing in place it's hard to move the leg like it should be moved. Why is it other hospital staff don't seem interested in helping me, even wondering if the one I had was qualified. It's not a good feeling when you feel like you know more than the person caring for you. My regular nurse deserves her time off, I believe there should be someone qualified to replace her, if not would it be wrong for the hospital to schedule someone to pick up that duty on her day off??? I know she probably asked a good week or more in advance to have off. I know all business try and get by and cut as many corners as possible.
On the plus side, the wound looks good, and today I thought it looked like it is changing and changing in a good way. Finished my antibotics, see the wound care dr herself on Wed this next week.
Glad to see the healing taking place, it's the one silver lining to it all, otherwise everything else has been one headache after another. Seen my family the other day and hadn't seen them since before I went back to work and they didn't think my wound looked good when they saw me, but I kept telling them my surgeon says everything is ok, it's going to heal shut, no extra treatment is needed. I said to them the other day I should have listened to you better, I also should have followed my own gut feelings on things not feeling right. I see the surgeon again at the end of Oct, it's been a while since I have personally seen him and alot has happened during that time. Some things were out of both our control, but over all I do think him and his staff failed me, do I confront him on this matter and speak from my heart on how much extra heartache and expense this has cause myself and my family??? ( I think of the extra cost to my insurance company and some of it will probably end up being cost out of our pocket. ) Also many of you spoke about how you thought P/T was tending to my wound care when it should have been the surgeon or nursing staff taking more of a role in the wound care phase. Or do I let it pass, my thinking is if I confront him on my care and my feelings, it may be helpful for the next patience he has in the future to be more mindful that if he's not available he makes sure a associate is there to pick up the slack. That wound care decisions not be left up to P/T contacting the surgeon that the patience be a bigger part of the healing process. As always those of you that have taken the time to read my rant, it's deeply appreciated.
 
Glad you are healing, sorry you had your dressing changed with someone uncomfortable with your wound. Vent here, get your thoughts together so you can discuss your disappointment with your OS.
 
You have had a long haul, I don't blame you for being discouraged. This is the place to vent and decide what you want to say.
 
Vent here, get your thoughts together so you can discuss your disappointment with your OS.
I agree.
Don't just get your thoughts together. Write them down. Revise what you write, so that you have a balanced and logical piece of writing - because I'm going to suggest that you give your surgeon this writing, so that he can read it all and discuss it with you. If you try to rely on memory, you are likely to either forget some things, or get upset, so that you don't mention them.

Take someone with you, as back up support, so that they can chime in if you find you can't speak. Make sure in advance that this person knows what you want to say and the questions you want to ask.

Meanwhile, feel free to vent to us. We understand.
 
Thanks for some good advice and talking with the surgeon like the idea of putting it all in writing. I know I will get so nervous that I would forget half of what I would want him to hear. Getting lots of support from the family to confront and talk to the surgeon about the issues that have come up and how much of a impact it's had on me. At this pt in time I should be more than willing to tell people to have their knee replaced it's worth it, but right now where I am at I can't honesty say to have your knee replaced if asked and I was asked by a cousin who plans surgery in January, I think down the road I will be able to say, Yes it was a good choice. Right now with the issues I am having, even tho I was hobbling along and had aches and pains, I didn't have a open wound, didn't have infection, didn't have to wear a wound vac. If I have to write a list of pro's and con's at this point think the list of con's would out weight the benefits.
Just have a really dark cloud of dispair and doom hanging over me that I need to shake off. Had a friend who when I was at about 6 wks had hers done and is doing great, those kind of things as much as I am happy for her, it hurts I should be feeling better, doing better. Thanks again for listening going to start tonight at my writing of my feelings for the surgeon. ( just got a new survery from the hospital and my first one I gave all high marks, 14 wks out, my marks won't be as high in the line of service and care. )
 
I'm still not able to say I'm glad I had mine done! No, I didn't have an infection, that is the worst thing! But pain has been a long time resolving and I am still uncomfortable. So, recoveries are so different. Some people do bounce back easily, and others don't. No rhyme or reason, it just is. Be kind to yourself. It's not anything you can control.
 
@ mammazipp, in my case had I known the outcome I may have put it off even a little longer. I gave up about 9 wks of summer vacation and that wasn't enough, went back to work and that would have been enough on it's own, but then found out about the slight infection in the incision on my knee and the need for the wound vac, the past couple weeks have even been harder I think. Had I found out about the issues with the wound sooner, I would have taken additional time off, but since I was almost a couple weeks into work again and were short of help anyways thought I would try and see it thru. It hasn't been a easy road the past few weeks. I am upset at this pt, because I feel neglect on the surgeon's part is what lead to my issues, had he seen me when I requested or asked to have me come in when p/t contacted him about my wound issues, I may not be in the place I am now. Summer is over, and the fall weather is starting off beautiful and I am unable to a certain extent to enjoy it to it's fullest.
 
You have had a longer road than many of us. While I didn't have the same problems as you I did have problems with my first OS who did my TKR who kept telling me all was great with my knee when it wasn't. I understand feeling like you are behind where you should be but keep in mind that you are getting better albeit slowly. Tell your OS everything that you are feeling. Give it to him in writing so that he and his office can get this straightened out for the future. Vent here as much as you need. We are all here to help you along.:friends:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom