Bilateral TKR La's new knees (recovery diary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] La's new knees (recovery diary)
(if it suits you!)

Did you know you can take 1,000mg Tylenol with each dose of Tramadol? (up to a max of 4,000mg per 24hrs) It gives the Tram a nice little boost and makes it ever so much more effective. I took it for nearly 3 months and had no problems at all.
 
[Bonesmart.org] La's new knees (recovery diary)
(if it suits you!)


Did you know you can take 1,000mg Tylenol with each dose of Tramadol? (up to a max of 4,000mg per 24hrs) It gives the Tram a nice little boost and makes it ever so much more effective. I took it for nearly 3 months and had no problems at all.

Thanks, Josephine, I think you read my mind. I was thinking last night that I needed to find out if I could take tramadol with an NSAID. Does it have to be Tylenol? Could I use ibuprofen instead?

Thanks
La
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) - Jump in the water!

Hi, everyone! Well, this past weekend was a big one for me. My OS gave me the okay to submerge my scars, and the first thing that meant for me was a bath. I have a wonderful deep jacuzzi tub that I've been looking at longingly for a few weeks, dreaming about a nice hot soak. But I was also a litte leery, because I wasn't sure how the heck I'd get out. I'd been steppinginto the tub for showers for a couple of weeks (thanks to a non-skid bathmat and handrails that McQ installed, and I was pretty sure I could sit on the side of the tub and ease down in....but I couldn't even visualize how I'd get my butt off the bottom of the tub to either sitting on the edge or standing up again.

But once Dr. Jimmy gave me the okay, I didn't much care. :) I drew a nice hot bath, extracted a promise from McQ that he would get me out somehow, and slithered into the tub. I must admit that I made a bit of a plop sitting down - I was using my arms to control my descent speed, and they gave out a moment before I'd actually contacted the bottom of the tub. Still, it was WONDERFUL. The warm water really encouraged the circulation in my legs (I could tell a difference in the bruising the next day) and did wonders for the muscles in my hips and lower back that were overworked from supporting my knees. Mmmmmm! I enjoyed it for quite a while, then reluctanted admitted that I couldn't just live in the bathtub. I hollered for McQ, and he showed up promptly, asked what I wanted him to do. I said I wanted to try to get out by myself first, but he should stand by in case I needed rescuing. :)​

I had a couple of aborted attempts. Pulling up on the handrails didn't work, nor did pushing up on the sides of the tub - my quads just wouldn't take over quite soon enough. I was beginning to thing that McQ was going to have to haul me out like a net full of fish when I had another idea. The back of my tub is sloped so you can lean back and lounge, and I was able to use my legs to push up that slope and then kind of hop my butt onto the side of the tub. It was not graceful to look at, and I'm afraid McQ may have developed a hernia from not laughing, but I did it. Yay me!​

The next day I went to the gym and did about 30 minutes of water walking in the pool. It felt really good - a great way to stretch all the muscles you use in walking (a surprising number) without overdoing it. The only odd thing was that when I was sidestepping, I felt a little popping or clunking in my left knee. Shortening my strided made it stop. So that was a pretty positive experience.​

On Sunday, I was feeling pretty spunky, and increased the distance of my daily walk to just under a half mile. I was pretty knackered at the end, lots of muscle fatigue, but no pain. I tried the same distance again today and it was a little easier. If things continue this way, I'll up my distance again in a week or so.​

I'm pretty happy with my progress overall, just trying to find that fine line between pushing enough to improve quickly, and not overdoing and creating problems for myself.​

Tomorrow is PT, and on Thursday I'll probably try the water again, walking plus a couple of exercises the therapist suggested. Wish me luck!​

La​
 
... just trying to find that fine line between pushing enough to improve quickly, and not overdoing and creating problems for myself.
I reckon the 'Add 10%, wait 24 hours to see the effect' works pretty well.
 
If you find that line, let us know ! It is the elusive knowledge we all seek...As Roy said it is usually try a bit, wait a bit and if it hurts, cut back a bit ! :DOH:
 
Here it is - I found it

_______________________________________________________________________________________________




:snork:
 
Aw Josephine, you found the fine line. Can you get the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for us too?
 
I do my best, Margaret, but you have to go and dig it out for yourself! :th_heehee:
 
That's so encouraging to hear, wonderful! It's great to hear from someone walking the same road...my surgery was on Oct 31 and at this point, my little dog thinks she died and went to heaven with the longer and longer walks and me home a lot of the time (even if I'm ignoring her and doing exercises, ha!). Keep up the good work!
 
La......it sounds like you are really making some progress. I'm so happy to hear it!!
 
Aaaaahhhhh - SWEATS!!!!

Okay, I know that some people (me included) get these weird periodic sweats after knee replacement, but....any ideas on how to minimize or deal with them? When do they stop?

Desparately,
La
 
Re: Aaaaahhhhh - SWEATS!!!!

La....so sorry about this yukkie side effect that sometimes happens following surgery. I'm not sure there really is anything you can do to stop it. But.....it shouldn't be going on too much longer.

Since it may be a factor of some of the meds you're taking, refresh me on what prescription pain meds you're on and how often.
 
Re: Aaaaahhhhh - SWEATS!!!!

La....so sorry about this yukkie side effect that sometimes happens following surgery. I'm not sure there really is anything you can do to stop it. But.....it shouldn't be going on too much longer.

Since it may be a factor of some of the meds you're taking, refresh me on what prescription pain meds you're on and how often.



Hey, Jamie!

I quit taking Hydrocodone about two weeks ago in hopes of stopping this, but obviously, it didn't work. (Did help with constipation and fuzzy head, though, so no compaints there.) I have a scrip for Tramadol, but I only take one or two a day (one at night so I can sleep, one after PT if needed). No other prescription meds, just tylenol at night and a couple of Ibuprophen in the day.

La
 
Have you tried Oil of Evening Primrose? Might help - might not. Worth a try but get a small bottle to start with!

btw - you might observe that I have put all your threads into one recovery diary. (hint, hint!) :wink1:
 
Thanks For the chuckle about the fine line. I'm off to the Library to look up some other stuff. La: I hope you find an answer to the sweats.
 


btw - you might observe that I have put all your threads into one recovery diary. (hint, hint!) :wink1:

Ummmm, thanks, I think, Josephine. Maybe I didn't understand the rules. I've been posting all of my recovery updates in this thread, but when I have a specific question of general interest (what's it like to fly after knee replacement, how do I handle these crazy sweats) I've been posting them separately because a) I think people who have input are more likely to read them and b) they are easier to find later. But if the rule is that I'm not permitted to start any other new threads, I'll comply.

Best,
La
 
It's not a rule, just my preference for continuity for people reading your story.
They'll still find the topics if they search posts as well as threads.
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) - PT Good, Bad, Ugly

Well, today marked a month of outpatient PT for me, and I'm moved to reflect on the experience so far.

Outpatient PT was a big change from the in-home work I'd been doing since surgery. The home care therapy (excluding my run in with Evil Chester) was mild and gentle, focused on simple things like standing, walking and getting in and out of chairs.

Outpatient PT, on the other hand, was a bit of a workout - kind of like a mild day at the gym. And at first, it was a plain, brute force effort. I struggled to make the motion or haul myself into the position assigned, with no real concern for control or technique - it was all I could do to finish. Over the month, therapists have dropped little hints - don't use your hlp, lift with just the quad, toes straight up, hold for five seconds at the end, etc, so that even though it's hard to say I'm doing better when I'm still doing mostly the same workout, I can certainly say I'm more in control, doing things consistently with some level of form and finesse. That doesn't seem like much of a breakthrough so far, but that's what I have. :) Actually, there are a few advances - added weights on leg raises and such, a few new activities, but...to a large extent it feels like I'm doing the same things I was at the start.

One point of interest is that my right leg seems to be a bit lazy - the toes want to point out to about the 2 o'clock position in stretches and exercises where they should point straight up. The therapists remind me of this a lot, and so does my knee, I think. I have some pains on the interior side of that knee that I think come from the torsion of toeing out. My therapist thinks this is a case of lazy muscles, not some sort of misalignment, and suggested that I do an exercise she calls a "windmill", although it doesn't look like one to me. It consists of turning your toes in, using your whole leg, not just the ankle - it's supposed to strengthen the interior rotation muscles. I'm working on that, will report back on results.

I asked recently if I could get back on the elliptical trainer, and the response was, "Can you do a one-legged calf raise?". (The answer, btw, is "not very well." I'm shaky and have to hold onto something for balance.) The PT says that's a good test for whether you're ready for exercises that put all your weight on one leg. So...I'm working on those, too.

I also just started working on a groovy machine called a balance trainer. You stand on a little platform that has sensors in it, and the machine shows you where your center of gravity is. (Mine tends to the left, probably because I've been favoring my right knee for the past four years.) Then you do different exercises where you shift your weight front to back, side to side or randomly. It has some more challenging programs where the platform moves and you try to stay centered. I'm not doing those yet. In fact, today was the first day they had me close my eyes while standing on the balance balls - makes it MUCH harder.

So today, being my month anniversary, I got my measurements taken, and now I'm not sure they mean anything at all. When I exited in-home PT, TJ measured me at 101 and 103 degrees of flexion respectively. He did it with me sitting in a chair and he pushed my leg into position. Then, when they measured me the first time at outpatient PT, they had me lie flat on my back and actively flex my legs - and I went back to about 92 degrees. BOO! But it was a different technique of measurement, and today was looking forward to seeing how much progress I'd made. But guess what? It was a different therapist, using yet another technique! She had me sit up on a table with my legs out in front and flex my leg actively, but she held my foot and provided an "assist". So I don't know what the heck my readings (102 and 105 degrees for left and right respectively) actually mean. If they won't do them the same way twice, how the the heck can they measure progress????? I have similar issues with every other test they did - each therapist did it differently. I know I'm improving, but I really have no idea how much. BLAH. Anyway, the doc continued my PT through the 23rd so I am going to ask for the same therapist who measured this time to do the next set. We shall see.

Oh, and I start back to work on March 20, but wil work from home for the first month. Wish me luck!

Best to all,
La
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom