Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR La's new knees (recovery diary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) 28 days

So, four weeks ago today, I had bilateral TKR. I think it's worth taking stock of where I am right now.

What I can do:

I am walking around the house comfortably without support. When I go out, I take a cane, but it's not because I require it to move, it's more like a precaution against falling. My knees still feel a bit stiff and clumsy, and I am not sure I could recover my balance if I slipped or somthing, so I use the cane for that. I can pedal a stationary bike (no resistance) both forward and backward without discomfort. My ROM is from about 2 degrees extension to 100 degrees flexion. Yesterday, I was coming up the steps into my house and noticed that I was steping foot over foot instead of bridal style. I can walk a few blocks, or take a trip to the grocercy store. At the end I'm exhausted and want to ice my knees, but I don't have a lot of pain. Just today I managed to get up out of a chair with no hand assist for the first time. YAY!

Things I can't do (yet)

I still have some challenges getting up and down using my quads. I am not confident I could get up from a really low chair without some kind of support, and I am not at ALL convinced I could get up off the floor if I fell. I'm also not pleased with the idea of kneeling or pushing off on my knees. I've tried that on the bed a couple of times and it doesn't feel very good, so I put that in the "try later" bin. I am not ready to try to step over the side of my bathtub (it's 20 inches high) to stand in the shower, and I'm DEFINITELY not clear I could get back out if I sat down in the bathtub. (I'm very motivated to get past that, btw, I want a good long soak!)

Overall, I feel really good about the surgery. Compared to my "before" status, I have practically zero pain in my knees, and the pain in my quads is of a different sort - I can't really articulate it well, but it feels like the kind of pain that can heal and go away. My knees are also astonishingly stable compared to before the surgery. They never lock (which happened to me several times a week before) and they don't "waver" as I walk, so I don't have that fear of of them letting me down in the middle of a step. A few days ago, for the first time, I forgot to take my narco. It's like others have said - one day you just forget. And that's how you know it's time to cut back. :)

Bonesmart forum has been a real asset for me during my recovery, and I would absolutely recocommend this place to anyone having joint problems or surgery. I have benefitted so much from the good advice and support here! As I finish up my "four week retrospective", I'd like to share some the lessons that have been most helpful to me.

- Surgery isn't just a physical challlenge, it's a mental and emotional one as well. Don't expect to exit the operating room as your normal self with sore knees. You're going to be sleepy, and scatterbrained and not feel like doing much. Don't let that worry you. It's all good. What your body is doing is healing and it really doesn't need a lot of help from your brain. In fact, your brain can get in the way when you start fretting about how fast you "should" be progressing, or how much stuff is not getting done. Let all of that go.

- Think carefully about your diet (before surgery if you can) and avoid empty calories. There are a lot of things you'll need to eat - protien for muscle building, fresh fruits and veggies for vitamins, yoghurt and fiber for digestive health, but you may not be as hungry as usual due to anesthesia after effects, medications and inactivity. Make what you eat count.

- Embrace the nap! Healing requires lots of sleep, and chances are, you aren't going to lie down and get a good eight hours for a while. It's hard to find a comfy position, you may wake up for pain meds, you will tire out with effort and need a quick catnap - there are million reasons why your schedule is going to be a mess. Don't worry about it There will be time later to get back on a normal schedule. Rest whenever you're tired, and if that means taking a two hour nap several times a day, so be it.

For anyone who is thinking about undergoing a TKR, I'd say that if your knee pain is interfering with your daily activities, it's definitely worth a thought. In my case, the restrictions kind of crept up bit by bit, and I had to sort of step back to see how much I'd given up, not just in terms of athletics but in everyday activities. That's really what pushes me forward. It's not easy, it's not quick, but I can tell already that it's worth it.

Best
La
 
La, absolutely nothing in your story to disagree with, looks like you're progressing at full speed!
 
Hi Larosser, glad to hear that you are doing so well. I had my 2week check up and staple removal yesterday. Range of motion was great as well. Waiting for my PTLady to arrive and I wanted to say hello for the day and let you know how proud I am for you. I want to follow in your foot steps. Something funny happened to me this morning. It is a sign that your pain meds are working well when you have your "ah bra" on backwards on don't know it. Have a great day, G
 
Great report, La! :yes 4: It will be very encouraging to the newbies. I know what you mean about using the cane for balance. Extra security at this point is definitely not a bad thing.
 
Hi Larosser, glad to hear that you are doing so well. I had my 2week check up and staple removal yesterday. Range of motion was great as well. Waiting for my PTLady to arrive and I wanted to say hello for the day and let you know how proud I am for you. I want to follow in your foot steps. Something funny happened to me this morning. It is a sign that your pain meds are working well when you have your "ah bra" on backwards on don't know it. Have a great day, G

Hey, Mamag! Good luck with your PT. :) I go to the outpatient PT place for the first time this afternoon. Will definitely make sure my bra's on right way round before I leave the house!

La
 
How about when you leave the house without doing up your shirt..I did that at 2 weeks post-op !
 
Well La,

You're doing much better than I did when I went for my post op exam. I didn't bother wearing a bra that day.. I didn't see the point and all things considered, it just seemed like more work that it was worth...it was all I could do to just get my clothes on and make the long drive into the city for the check up.
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) Outpatient PT

Well, my first outpatient PT session is behind me now, and I can say for certain that it's MUCH more taxing than the in-home version. I talked to the nurse this morning and she advised me to take a pain pill before I went. So glad she did. I also took one a few hours after the session. First time I've taken narcotics during the day for about a week. Oh, well. That's why I have 'em, to take when there's pain.

The outpatient therapist definitely challenged me more than TJ, the in-home guy, but she's not a troll. When she was doing passive manipulation, she would always encourage me to let her know if it was too much, and a couple of times she backed me down on the active work. "That's too much, La," she would say. "I don't want to see that expression on your face."

It's just that the outpatient clinic has so much more equipment - stationary bikes with resistance, squat sleds, balls, weights, etc. She also had me do familiar exercises in different ways. For example, for heel slides, they put a slick board under your foot for better movement, and have you assist yourself with a cord looped around the ball of your foot.

It was interesting, and a little strenuous. I really felt like I had a workout. Now, let's see how I feel tomorrow. :)

La
 
La,

Out PT can really take a toll in the beginning. If you are feeling sore or pain tomorrow take the day off and rest, ice and elevate. One or two days off doesn't hurt anything. There have been many of us who have had to rest for a day after a PT session. Try again on a different day.
 
La,

Out PT can really take a toll in the beginning. If you are feeling sore or pain tomorrow take the day off and rest, ice and elevate. One or two days off doesn't hurt anything. There have been many of us who have had to rest for a day after a PT session. Try again on a different day.


Thanks, Rose. I'm kind of expecting tomorrow to be a "rest" day. :)

La
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) My first bad mistake

Larosser, I too had a nightmare first night experience in the hospital and in fact the whole hospital stay on round one was a nightmare. Before having the left knee done 8 weeks later, we talked to our Dr. who talked to the administrator, who called my husband to get first hand what had gone wrong and how to fix it should we decide to return for round two.
I couldn't have made it without my husband but I am glad to say that round two went without a hitch. Well except I ended up taking my own foley out, *refer to my post) .
Now 7 weeks out from LTKR and 15 weeks out from RTKR, I am getting better, but with very little patience. Hang in there and thanks for sharing.
Keep on trucking......
 
I have to say I may be one of a few but I really enjoyed outpatient PT. Yes,it's strenuous and you do have to factor in rest time the next day but it feels good to see your progress .Sound s like you found a good one . Keep it up !
 
Wonderful posts! I had bilateral TKR on October 31, 2011, and roughly 3 months out, am walking my dog around the block with only minor stiffness in one leg...fantastic!. I wanted to say that there is a new lower daily maximum of tylenol, 3,000 mg, to prevent accidental overdoses.
Link: broken link removed: https://news.consumerreports.org/health/2011/07/tylenols-maximum-dose-reduced-to-help-prevent-overdoses.html
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) Eight weeks? Seriously?

Well, I had my second outpatient PT session yesterday. Again, it was somewhat strenuous but it felt good to be active again. I actually broke a sweat! Towards the end, they had me do some passive extension exercises that weren't fun. Phelicia could tell it was tough on me and terminated it. Thank goodness she will do to. It's hard for me to decide when something is uncomfortable enough to call a halt so I appreciate her doing it for me.

Overall, I think my recovery is going well. My one concern is this: everyone (doc, therapists, bonesmarties) say I'm healing fast and doing well. The insurance company seems to think that "doing well" means "ready for work eight weeks post surgery". REALLY? I know four weeks can make a big difference, but right now I can't imagine that. I have no energy. After any kind of activity (cooking, walk, visit to the store) I need a nap. After PT, I need a SERIOUS nap. I still need painkillers to sleep, and ice several times a day. It' hard to believe that a month from now I'll be ready to resume a normal schedule. It just doesn't seem likely at all. I guess time will tell...

La
 
La....YOU know your body. Don't let anyone hustle you back to work before you're ready. You shouldn't have any problem with either your surgeon or your GP certifying that you need additional time at home if you tell them you do. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself. After all....who looks after you better than...YOU!
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) Walking!

Well, I had PT on Friday and rested yesterday, and today I found myself feeling just a little bit froggy. Since the weather is pretty chilly today in Texas (sleet and snow!) I got McQ to take me to the mall, and I walked pretty much from one end of it to the other and back without stopping. I'm still trying to figure out how far that really is, but it was a pretty good stretch for me. I'm a bit sore but definitely not in dreadful pain. A good sign, I hope.

La
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) Eight weeks? Seriously?

Overall, I think my recovery is going well. My one concern is this: everyone (doc, therapists, bonesmarties) say I'm healing fast and doing well. The insurance company seems to think that "doing well" means "ready for work eight weeks post surgery". REALLY? I know four weeks can make a big difference, but right now I can't imagine that. I have no energy. After any kind of activity (cooking, walk, visit to the store) I need a nap. After PT, I need a SERIOUS nap. I still need painkillers to sleep, and ice several times a day. It' hard to believe that a month from now I'll be ready to resume a normal schedule. It just doesn't seem likely at all. I guess time will tell...

La

La-

I'm going in on Monday for BKTR (they will do them 7 days apart) anyhoo, I quit my job two weeks ago because it was a nasty, oppressive place to work. We immediately went to see the surgeon to move my surgery date up from the end of March.

One of the most important things I've learned here is that you cannot rush this recovery process. If you read enough (I think I've read everything! LOL) you also figure out that on average, you need at least 12 weeks. I hate managed care in the USA, the doctors are second guessed, the nurses have a strict protocol that ties their hands. It's big business at it's worst without regard for the patient.

I would have a long hard discussion with my surgeon to make certain that you are covered to remain out of work. The insurance company doesn't care so it's important to make certain your surgeon builds the case for you to remain home.

Good luck!!
 
Hi La- I'm a great advocate of mall walking.It's warm, flat and has good coffee ! Hope you are proud of yourself and not too sore today..but remember one step at a time.I have had a quick and good recovery but not without its up and downs-and I really believe that not having the pressure of going back to work too quick is why I've been able to recover with so little stress. Take care..:yes 4:
 
Hi La,
Glad to hear that you are doing well and like your outpatient PT. My PT was in a group "class" with up to 6 people at any one time. Usually someone rotated in and out about every 1/2 hour after finishing up an exercise.

In my case after 7-8 weeks, I was released from going to the PT because I was trying to get to the gym as well (with my wonderful retired brother-in-law who shuffled me all around). They told me to come back at 10 weeks (a couple of weeks before my 12 week surgeons visit) to make sure that I was still doing well. At the 10 week PT visit, I was doing well and came back one more time the day before my Dr's appointment and "graduated" from class.

I started working from home part-time for a couple of weeks, then a couple of part time weeks at the office and finally full time at 12 weeks. Just don't try and push it before you are ready (and your body will tell you when you are ready!).

Ed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom