Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR La's new knees (recovery diary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post, La.....don't let the "variety" of your therapists get to you. The important thing is that you're moving and gaining in strength and flexibility. That's what it's really all about.
 
La, I am impressed that you are getting good therapy. Learning how to do the exercises properly is really a lifelong help since you will need to keep them up to maintain your leg strength.

Also, the first month or so is really all about waking up lazy muscles and then getting them to the point that you can train. I spent 3 months with a pt and then an additional 3 months with a trainer. It takes a long time to get that muscle action first back and then trained.

Remember it is six months of rehab--you are just taking the first few steps. it sounds like you have good help, that is a real plus. Kelly
 
La, I too noticed that different therapists have different way of measuring. I wonder if there is a right way.

Good luck about work. Glad you're starting out from home.
 
Pooshay,

I don't think there really is a right or wrong way to measure. What I did was ask to have it done the same way every time, that way I was getting a more true reading. You know the old saying measure apples to apples.

Rose
 
Re: La's new knees (recovery diary) - Sleep brace to custion knee!

Hi, all! Things are going pretty well for me, PT three days a week, working out on my own three days per week (stationary bike, walking, water work). I start back to work from home next week - I think (hope) I'm ready. :)

I wanted to give you an update on the sleeping brace I ordered to help with side sleeping. It's essentially a neoprene wrap with a little pillow built for the inside of your knee where it would press on the other knee or the bed when you sleep on your side. I've attached a pic of it.

I'm kind of surprised at how well it works. First off, it's quite comfy - doesn't pinch, bind or roll up at all. It's a one-size-fits most affair, and it it fits me fine, even with a bit of swelling still in the knee. The little C-shaped pillow part is full of some kind of smushy little beads that do a good job of cushioning the insides of both knees when I'm lying on my side with my knees together, and of cushioning the top knee where it presses against the bed when my knees are separated.

I bought two (since both of my knees were done) but I find it's better if I only use one - usually the right knee, since I sleep mostly on my left side. The reason for that is that if I have one on each knee, the two pillows together between my knees are a little too fat for for comfort.

One other aspect of these devices is that they provide a little stability support for the knee, and as I flop around a lot at night, that's welcome. I find that using this reduces the number of night time wakeups to readjust my "knee pillow". I'd recommend this for side sleepers who want to protect their knees.

The model I got is called "Futuro Night Knee Sleep Support"

My free opinion, your milage may vary.

Best
La
 
Hi, All!

It's been three months since my BTKR. I've been back at work about three weeks, and between a full work day (albeit at home), PT, household chores and getting ready to walk a 5K on April 21, I've been too busy for the internet - big surprise.

Mostly good news here - full extension on both legs, flexion at 105L / 110 R, less pain, more strength. Still can't get my duff out of a chair without using my hands (*sigh), but my knees work and I'm happy.

Best to all
La
 
Good to hear from you, La. I was just thinking of you several days ago and wondering where you were. So happy that things are going well such a short time out.

Your ROM is great and will continue to improve with time. I'm about 5 1/2 months and can get up without hands most of the time but with some effort.
Those quads just like giving us a hard time.

Try not to be a stranger. We miss you when you're gone and wonder about you.

Take care of yourself and post once in a while. We care. Judy
 
Thanks La, for your recovery journal. I just read it all from the beginning. SO helpful! I hate to say that I was entertained by your struggles and pain, but it is infinitely hopeful that even in this, it is possible to keep a sense of humor!
 
Hi La
Good to hear from you. It sounds like you are doing really well. You are just three days ahead of me so I have missed your posts! Good luck with the 5k. That will be a great milestone.
 
Judy, Diane, great to hear from you! Glad to hear you're both still improving, even if there have been a few bumps.

Welcome, Janet! Please feel free to laugh at me, everyone else does. Maybe next time, I'll recount my first couple of falls - one ended up in a frozen foods bin at the grocery. :hysterical:


Best
La
 
Hi La,
Thank you so much for sharing! Your post are very helpful to me since soon I will be facing the same situation. I do look forward to getting them both done at the same time!
Wishing you continued success in you recovery!

Best regards'
Jacky
 
Hey, Jacky, good luck to you!

If it's any consolation, looking back I am glad I did them both at once, since I had to do them both. If I could have done a single knee and waited a couple of years, that might have been better, but if you REALLY need both done, I still think the best thing is to bite the bullet and do them both.

The big thing to remember for the first couple of weeks post-op is that you really DON'T have a leg to stand on. :) Use your walker. Let people help you in and out of bed. Stick with high seats and seats with arms because they are easy to get out of. Wear socks with sticky soles so you don't slip. And every time you stand, remind yourself that it will hurt less next time. You won't be lying. It does get better quickly and you'll be astonished at how your knees don't hurt. Take all the bonesmarties advice and recover slowly, exercise gently, ice frequently and rest whenever you feel the need. You'll be just fine.

Luck,
La
 
If it's any consolation, looking back I am glad I did them both at once, since I had to do them both. If I could have done a single knee and waited a couple of years, that might have been better, but if you REALLY need both done, I still think the best thing is to bite the bullet and do them both.


I feel the same way; I knew that I was going to need to have both done, so I asked my OS if he would do both---he readily agreed. Recovery at times was very challenging, as I di not have a good leg, but I am glad that it was done, as Macduff said in Macbeth, ...in one fell swoop" One surgery, one recovery, on hospital stay, and no waiting from one procedure to the other. I think that it also meant less nervousness and anxiety for me, too.

It is important to remember that the recovery can be slow, so just be patient and work your way through it---it was for me a roller coaster ride and my recovery had its ups and its downs.

When, as Josephine says, everything is "done and dusted", you will be amazed at how great you feel and how much more you can enjoy your life.
 
La, Speaking of high seats, how high, in relation to the bend in your knee? At? 4 inches above? Higher? What would have been the ideal height during your first weeks home, if you recall?
 
Hey, Janet.

That's a good question and a great way to measure it. When I got home, my bed was fairly easy to get up off of. It's 27 1/2 inches off the ground, which is between 4 and 5 inches above the bend in my knee. The seat of my office chair when raised to its highest is about 2 inches above my knee, and that was do-able as well because it has nice high arms to lever up on. McQ also took my lounge chair and mounted it on a 4 inch high platform, which took the seat up from 17 1/2 inches (a little below my knee, and impossible) to about even with the bend in my knee, which was possible with a hand.

Hope that helps.

La
 
Thanks La! Very useful information! I do look forward to getting both done at once since I don't have a good leg to support the other now anyway, so they will have to support each other as I coach them!:th_heehee: I hope they can deal with me!:hysterical:
 
Wonderful, La!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom