THR LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread

You have put into words the exact feelings, with the ups and downs, so eloquently.
I'm sure you do indeed feel blue with your Mom returning home. But you are recovering well enough to allow her to do so! :egypdance:

Seriously, aren't our bodies just amazing? I am in wonderment of this constantly.
I would study my physiology lessons and be in disbelief of what our bodies can do. Just as your body is currently doing. And it's only 3 weeks.. how cool is that?
 
Our bodies are truly incredible @CricketHip. I am amazed at the fact that I can walk even though my incision site is still scabby in places. Seeing it is a good guide, because it reminds me to understand how much healing is happening underneath it, where I can’t see. Trying to incorporate the scabby scar as a meditation on how much my body is doing right now to try to make us whole again.

Incidentally, I started down a research path of trying to understand NERVES and… hooboy. They. Are. Complicated. I don’t think Google is the right teacher and not even sure I have the capacity to go to Nerve School. I did find one reference that said motor nerves (vs sensory nerves) do seem to have a stopping point at which additional healing is not possible, but it’s at least a year and even then, there are huge spaces in estimates about what that timeframe is. Also learned that a damaged nerve has a “rest” period for growth of about one month before it will start growing again (very slowly), which makes nerves truly their own special class inside our anatomy. Fascinating and also so much detail underneath the broad strokes that my brain said NOT TODAY! and I had to concede defeat. I do not understand nerves and maybe never will, lol. If anyone in my sphere of influence has nerve injury though, I am definitely seeking out a nerve specialist because… hooboyyyyy. Brain explosion.
 
Yes, it’s a complicated system(our nerves).
It makes sense about the motor nerves and I think, if I recall correctly- those are more affected by things like a stroke, or say, a spinal cord injury. There is a time limit with those for sure.
Luckily our joint replacements are not that type of nerve injury or actually, what we usually experience are more like nerve irritations.
I know what you mean about brain explosion! Especially after major surgery. I couldn’t do simple tasks much less figure out our central nervous system.
Your walks sound so therapeutic.
Keep up your good work!
 
after major surgery. I couldn’t do simple tasks much less figure out our central nervous system.

Right why did I even start to try to figure out nerves three weeks into healing from major surgery?! Lmao my brain has better things to do, like watch The Hangover with my 17 YO son.

:giggle:
 
It’s been a while but I remember not being a fan. Let me know what you think. Nothing beats the Mike Tyson scene in the first one ;)
 
Unpopular opinion: I hated The Hangover. I truly did not understand why it was so popular and I like crude and/or goofball comedy. All Quiet on the Western Front sounds up my alley. Which version did you watch?

ETA: “Hated” is probably an overstatement, but I didn’t think it was that funny although it has some hilarious parts.
 
Last edited:
All Quiet on the Western Front sounds up my alley. Which version did you watch?

The new one (new as of 2022 which is new to me since last year was a blur of pain and confusion).

Make sure you change the language from English (default) to German with Subtitles!

It is gorgeously shot and scored and absolutely gutting.
 
@LaKarune so glad I read your diary here. It's tricky to know how much we should be doing at 1 point. Reading your 11 trips to the kitchen for food made me laugh
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, LaKarune!
I hope you have a beautiful blue skies / sunshine kind of weekend! :SUNsmile:
@LaKarune
 
Thanks @Layla! No sun or blue skies, sadly, as we are deep in the May Grey part of the year here on LA's coast. Lack of sunshine is definitely affecting my mood...been feeling pretty blue these past couple of weeks. I'm a month out from surgery, and frustrated at how slowly this healing process feels like it's going. My incision isn't fully healed, and in fact looks to have a ways to go, still. I have three big scabs that appear (to me) to be sinking, and they're giving me a lot of anxiety. The skin directly around those scabbed areas is very bright pink, which I assume is normal histamine response involved in healing, but I'd love some reassurance about the process. I'm very tempted to pull the scabs off, but since they aren't budging when I (gently) nudge them with my washcloth during showers, I'm resisting that temptation.

I still have swelling around my greater trochanter, deep beneath my incision. I'm still icing a fair amount. This is also frustrating me, because I feel it when I walk/move, and it feels weird. It's like it's constantly reminding me that it's not healed yet, and therefore this state of being nowhere is just going to continue in perpetuity.

Tomorrow is the day that I put on the books before surgery as a return to work, but I really don't want to. I co-own my company and can technically do what I want to do with my return to the grind, but I have low confidence about the team's ability to keep going much longer without my leadership. Also annoying! I know there's going to be a bit of a mess to clean up when I open myself back up to engaging with work, and I just don't have the energy to do it right. I want to feel more confident with my healing process first.

Positives: moving a bit better, walking fairly well, clocking a good number of steps each day, able to dress, shower, tie shoes, etc, which I know many struggle with post-surgery. PT has been good for me so far. All of this would feel like much more of an achievement if I were out of the woods with my incision healing and infection risk. Instead it all just feels like plodding forward through a void. I want OUT of the void!

That's where I am on this one month post-surgical milestone. I'm between weeks 4-5; hopefully I'm somewhere in the vicinity of "normal" for this time in the healing process.
 
Hi @LaKarune :wave:
Sounds normal to me comparing it to my experience... including the month-out feelings of post-op blues and cabin fever:blackcloud:

I think you are wise not to help those scabs out, and the bright pink will eventually fade out to pale pink lines...at least that is how mine progressed.

I was a prolific icer - for the first 3 months especially- I think it was very beneficial.:ice:

I felt much the same way as you about work, as I oversee an organization and I knew that things were getting slightly chaotic...I went back at six weeks 1/2 days and it was exhausting. Those 1/2 days quickly turned into 3/4 days and it was hard to back off. If I had a do-over, I would have given myself more time if possible.
Keep the faith... all temporary and You WILL get there.:tada:
 
In case you are interested, I looked up my post at 5 weeks on my recovery thread...you can see it here
 
I think you are wise not to help those scabs out, and the bright pink will eventually fade out to pale pink lines...
What I mean is, the skin around the incision (not incision itself) is bright pink and irritated looking. No streaking, not wet, but I know many incisions are closed by this point, so I’m a little scared and probably will be until these scabs come off.
 
My incision isn't fully healed, and in fact looks to have a ways to go, still. I have three big scabs that appear (to me) to be sinking, and they're giving me a lot of anxiety. The skin directly around those scabbed areas is very bright pink, which I assume is normal histamine response involved in healing, but I'd love some reassurance about the process. I'm very tempted to pull the scabs off, but since they aren't budging when I (gently) nudge them with my washcloth during showers, I'm resisting that temptation.
Good! Keep resisting as that is a way to break the skin and invite the germs in. I know you understand this. Wondering if you're taking any supplements? I realize many people aren't into them and that's fine, it's personal.

For one month post op I took and injury and support formula, which was in the $30 range six years ago, but I felt it was worth it. Thankfully my wound closed without incident and I don't know if that supplement helped, just something to consider. I do know it was heavy on Vitamin C which is important in the healing of wounds. Good sources to consider Citrus, Tomatoes, Red and Green Peppers, Kiwi, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Kale, Strawberries to name a few.

As far as the swelling, it can last for months and I was an icing fanatic also, just as, Mojo.
You did list a lot of good progress and this does take time, so hold on, brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
 
For one month post op I took and injury and support formula

I’ll look into this. I’ve been drinking a ton of this stuff (image), which is supposedly anti inflammatory.

Thanks for the link to the antimicrobial spray. My PA told me not to put anything on the wound, but I’ve been sneaking some vitamin D oil on the skin adjacent to the incision bc it has been SO dry. I have some strong antibacterial ointment that I also haven’t used bc she said I should leave it to dry out. Not sure what direction others have got about incision treatment? I don’t think my PA is the brightest bulb in the house and there’s a lot of conflicting info online about what best practices are.

I have some strawberries and cherries from the farmer’s market that I’ll indulge in today and ate kale salad last night, so I think I’m doing pretty well on the Vitamin C front.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread
    DD1087EF-0797-45CC-BD62-423DF17B94C6.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 70
Not sure what direction others have got about incision treatment? I don’t think my PA is the brightest bulb in the house and there’s a lot of conflicting info online about what best practices are.
Some may be a repeat of what I already shared above. I did some research on these topics awhile back and here's what I found -

What Can I Do To Help My Wound Heal Faster?

Follow your surgeon’s direction in regard to treating the wound area with care, changing any dressings as recommended.

Sleep is important. Lack of sleep can lead to higher levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines delaying healing time. Aim to boost your immune response with adequate restorative rest.

Diet can make a difference. Fuel your body with healthy foods to speed wound healing. Fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and protein assist in the reduction of inflammation while improving wound function, which promotes healing. Some examples: Berries, Leafy Greens, Cruciferous Vegetables, Salmon, Nuts and Seeds. Protein sources such as Meat, Poultry, Eggs and Dairy help with muscle repair, tissue mending and collagen formation.

Hydration is also important for healing in recovery. Among the benefit of lessening the chance of complication from a blood clot, remaining adequately hydrated helps your body get rid of toxins from the anesthesia. Drinking water post surgery can be beneficial in all aspects of recovery.

In an effort to promote optimal healing, limit refined sugars which cause inflammation and avoid alcohol and smoking.


Why Does My Incision Itch?

Itching normally occurs during the second phase of healing referred to as the Rebuilding or Granulation and Proliferation stage. While itching is an uncomfortable distraction, it is considered normal.

During this phase new skin tissue is formed to replace the damaged tissue. Histamine, a chemical released by the body as a protective barrier for the newly enclosed wound site, is what causes the itching sensation beneath the skin around the wound. The itching can last for as long as the chemical is released for wound healing, which can amount to several weeks.

Follow your surgeon's protocol for wound care. If the itching becomes severe, you may obtain relief through the use of a frozen gel pack (cold compress) which helps by numbing the area, reducing the itching sensation. Do not use topical agents close to, or on the incision without the approval of your surgeon for risk of infection before the wound is fully closed, which normally occurs between 4-6 weeks post op.

When Can I Safely Put Lotions And Creams On My Incision?

Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

The one exception to the guidance in regard to applying products topically over your incision is a product called ACTIVE AntiMicrobial Hydrogel Spray. This product contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. Discuss its use with your surgeon before using it. You will find a link at the top right of the page in a sidebar ad you can click on.
 
Hello Bonesmart friends! I'm overdue for an update, and since 6/20/23 is officially my 2 month anniversary since my surgery, this feels like a good time to check in.

I've been healing pretty steadily, but still feel like I'm in a timewarp in which all my days feel the same. I sleep late, I move a little, I walk and walk and walk, I ice, do some PT, rinse, repeat. It's rather dull, but I still find work and socializing outside of my family pretty exhausting, so I know I still have recovery ahead of me.

On the positive end of things, my stability and endurance have hugely improved since my surgery. I walk a lot -- around 4 miles per day for the last 3 or so weeks. I'm aiming to continue to increase my mileage in very small increments for the next month. I can take stairs now, though I do get tired out on them and take them at a very moderate pace. I've been working on single-leg balance, and while I have a ways to go in terms of muscle recovery, my improvement has been creeping ahead with very little in terms of setbacks.

My PT continues to be brilliant and super-helpful in my recovery. I saw my surgeon for my 8 week visit last week, and the x-ray reveals a perfectly-placed implant that appears to be integrating well into my hip capsule and femur. He lifted my posterior restrictions, with the caveat of common sense and no knee-to-chin twisting. He won't lift all restrictions until after my 3 month mark, assuming I'm continuing to improve. So on I plod.

I have complaints, naturally. My incision still isn't fully healed. I have a few scabs that slough off then regrow, and one old scab I keep pushing back into place, because it's covering a tiny and deeper unhealed corner of skin. My surgeon is not concerned, and said something I didn't fully understand about stitches underneath the skin not pushing up, or maybe not dissolving yet. He predicted it will fully seal within the next two weeks, so I'm watching and waiting. My PT liked how it looked today well enough to use her infrared laser over the bits that are still scabbed, so I'm trying to take that as a sign of progress.

I still get a grisly rubby-clicky sensation on and off when I move my hip. Both my surgeon and PT say it's soft tissue, though they disagree on whether it's scar tissue or just soft tissue trying to adjust to having more volume to accommodate (since I no longer have dysplasia, there's a bit more volume in my hip capsule, which my PT thinks is causing a rub on my trochanter). She works on the healing tissues with various instruments and I always feel a ton better after our sessions. Hoping the gristle feeling dissipates with more time.

And my goodness, I have a lot of muscle loss that I hope to gain back. Once I have more stability, I'll be allowed to do harder exercises (jumping, weights), and that will be exciting indeed. But I'm not there yet.

I'm still in the rental house that I moved into due to storm damage to my home, and there is finally some progress towards fixing the many things at home that were broken in late February. Insurance has been a nightmare to deal with (I've been leaving it to my hubs, poor guy), so that process has felt a bit like my healing journey, which multiplies this weird restless feeling of nowhereness I've had for a last two months. It's not forever; I just have to keep reminding myself that all of this is temporary.

In the meantime, I seek joy from the experience of seeing the ocean every day on my walks, and from duckling watching, as my rental house is near the Venice canals. I have never been so worried as when I see a baby duckling separated from it's mother and siblings, squeaking for help, and have a new hatred for Night Herons, who I'm convinced have eaten some of the baby ducks. The dark side of nature aside, it is delightful to go duckling-spotting, and it just doesn't feel like a good day until I've verified the well-being of several of the little ducky families in the neighborhood. Am I going slowly insane? Maybe.

They are cute though.

[Bonesmart.org] LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread


[Bonesmart.org] LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread


[Bonesmart.org] LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom