TKR Lacy21's Recovery Thread^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats sad you dont want to ask the nurses for anything. Thats there job. You had a big surgery.the nurse should get another job. You will get stronger everyday in your time. Listen to your knee. Lots of hugs you way.take care your in my prayers.
.
 
@Lacy21 It is expected that you should get your needs met. Nurses are just like everyone else in the world....some are nicer than others. At some point the next shift will come on and hopfully be more attentive to your needs. You should however, continue to communicate with her about your pain and perhap's why you feel you are not able to do this or that. :) :) Tommorrow is always a new day!! And you are on your road to recovery!! :)
 
I'm doing everything I'm asked to do.. I do elevate and ice alot. However, I have never refused to do pt or ot. I will not be bothering staff anymore.
 
@Lacy21 Oh Lacy.....I am so hoping you are feeling better soon. Try to remember that all of the pain medication can definitely impact your mood, feelings. Plus I am sure it doesn't help to be hurting all of the time and most likely not getting enough sleep. We are all rooting for you Lacy!! :)
 
Maybe you should talk to someone in charge. Im sure you have done nothing wrong. Some nurses think they are god and no whats best. It will be ok hang in there a solution will come soon. Take care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear @Lacy21 -- It's so hard to advocate for ourselves especially when we're not feeling well, but this is your recovery and your body, and you get to ask for what you need. Wishing you a comfortable recovery.
 
Lacy, are you in a hospital or a rehab facility? Please tell us more about what is going on so we can help you.
 
Lacy21,
The staff is there to help you, you should not feel like you cannot ask for help. Is there someway your son can help advocate for you?
 
Lacy, I noticed you had two recovery threads going. I have merged them now under your latest thread title. This way it is easier for us to know what has gone on with your recovery. So please post in this thread with updates, questions or concerns.

It would be helpful to know if you are in a hospital setting or in a rehab facility. Nursing is different in each of those and we can better advise you if we know where you are. At any rate, you may need to serve as your own advocate to get proper pain management and not so much PT that you are hurting. After all, this is YOUR recovery, not any of the nurses'. You are paying for the care you're receiving and you are entitled to it. Please don't let someone intimidate you. There is always a solution so you can get the care you need.
 
Lacy21,

So sorry to hear about the nurse's remarks; that is not acceptable. You have the right to ask she/he not take care of you. I recommend asking to speak to the charge nurse and share your concerns. It's not up to the nurses or aides to tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing! That's what the PT/OT is for.

I spent 14 days in rehab and had to "adjust" a couple of things with the charge nurse.

BTW, you are not bothering the nursing staff. They are there to help you get better and if needed, you can ask for different carers.

Good Luck
 
@Lacy21 So sorry to hear that you're having problems. Please speak to the charge nurse (as suggested above), this needs to be sorted. You're less than a week out and that knee needs to be rested and nurtured not tormented.
 
I had my TKR on July 14. I was sent to sub-acute care on July 17. I'm still in sub-acute care. I will see my surgeon on July 29 to have my staples removed. My current unassisted ROM is 75, my therapist has pushed it to 85. The therapist feel I'm not progressing fast enough and my ROM should be at 90. My entire experience in sub-acute care has been disheartening. If I ask for assistance with anything I'm made to feel bad,being told O won't have anyone at home to help me so basically get it done.
 
I'd be asking why I was paying them and heading for home. You're there because you don't have anyone at home to help you. What is wrong with these people?


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Boy, that makes me mad. Isn't the whole purpose to have help when needed? When I went to transitional unit (right down the hall from my hospital room) I wasn't allowed to get out of bed without help, walk the hallway without a caregiver, or go anywhere alone. There was a system that allowed you to earn some freedom depending on how you did in PT/OT with getting out of bed etc. OT made sure I could wash and dress the first full day I was there. Someone came to pick me up and wheel me to OT/PT. I did find there wasn't enough icing and elevating going on though.

I guess there are good and bad rehabs. What kinds of things won't they do for you?
 
Really, that place is worse than being home alone!!! At least there you would know that you had no one to help you and maybe ask a friend to stop by. Here you are paying for help and not getting it!!!

I will give you the recovery articles that we recommend to those who are post op. I hope you find some info that helps.

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Also, it is obvious that you are not getting great care there--- so, first do not allow the therapist to push your leg to get more rom. That makes the leg swell and guess what, then you have less rom!! You should be doing gentle heel slides and quad sets. I used to rock in a chair and allow my knee to gently bend. My pt never hurt at all---and I do not think that taking pain meds before pt is a good idea. You could hurt yourself without knowing it.

So, tell the therapist to back off---you have plenty of time to gain rom and it is much easier after week three when you have less swelling in the knee since you have been elevating, icing and resting for two weeks.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
 
Have you had a care plan meeting? Be sure you attend, otherwise you will be working towards their goals, when you should be working towards your goals.
We have members who have gone home alone, and they did just fine. Home health will come in and help you get set up at home. If you live in a populated area you can have groceries delivered.
Rather than working on ROM they should be working on walking, up and down stairs, in and out of the shower, in and out of bed, simple meal prep, and dressing, all functional activities you need to return home.
Here are some gentle exercises you can do:
Heel slides and how to do them
and if you knee does not lay flat in bed,
Extension: exercises for improvement

Be sure to read the recovery articles, great information, you will be able to turn your rehab program into one that fits you, not a cookie cutter approach.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's right @Pumpkln ! I forgot about the meetings! I went to care plan meetings during both my stays.
 
Please don't worry about your ROM at this stage - I was also at 75 at about 10 days out. My PT said that was fine for then. I'm guessing I'm at about 90-100 now, will know after PT tomorrow. All I've done is gentle sitting heel slides, started at 5 slides, 3 times a day and now progressed to 10-12 slides, 3 times a day. Rest, ice and elevate to get the swelling down and you'll see an improvement without really pushing it or forcing it, it will just slowly get better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom