Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lacy21's Recovery Thread^

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lacy21 hi lacy. I'm out just about 6 weeks like you. All including my os and pt say swelling is normal. The more you use it it will swell. I've been back to work 3 weeks now and ice lunch and after work. By am it's minimal And of course after pt it swells. My os says this will not hurt knee. You just have to continue the Flexion exercises so you don't loose it

How
Is your pt going??
 
@Dearjr, Pt is good, I've only had one problem and I let that particular therapist know what I would and would not stand for.
 
@Lacy21 thats the best thing you did with your therapist. I have a brand new one fresh out of school. Very nice and knowledgable but the first time bent my knee to get a few degrees and it was painful. I told her don't cause anyone pain and she will do fine
 
@
Dearjr, sorry, how long have you been in physical therapy?
 
@Lacy21 i had 2 weeks home therapy and then have had almost 4 weeks of out patient therapy. Each week slowly adding new things and stepping up on bigger steps....lol. I go 3 x week and one of those is pool therapy. Since I am working I do "heel slides" during the day on the stool at work. At night do some flexing on stairs and then heel slides and quad sets and extension stuff at night before bed

How is your pain level or discomfort now?
 
@Dearjr, I really have to get better at doing my exercises at home. I cancelled my session today just not feeling well. My pain is managed. I get this painful burning sensation, ouch, My nights are still difficult.
 
@Lacy21 - I read your recent posts on Rob's thread about your limited range, and that you my have scar tissue. I had both my knees done the day after you. For the past 10 weeks, my right side only had about 100 degrees ROM (we got to 108 with both me and therapist pushing). It was significantly different than my left. If I hadn't had both done at once, I would not have had the basis for comparison.

My doctor wanted to do the MUA (manipulation under anesthesia) on the right. I had heard some bad things / scary things about that, and I didn't want to do it. However, if there was a chance to get to better range on the right, I felt I had to take it.

I had the MUA yesterday, and it was totally no big deal. My doc says he broke some adhesions and that I am going to get to 130 on the right now. I have some swelling (not bad) so I'm icing, but I can already tell a difference. That spot on the inside of my right knee when I could feel a "catching" sensation is gone!

I will check in with you as my recovery from MUA moves forward. I have PT tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. But, based on what you said on Rob's thread, this might be something you want to consider. Has your doctor mentioned it to you?
 
Just be careful after the MUA, you still need to heal from it as well. My doc urged me not to aggressively exercise a swollen, hot knee. You do not need to "push" the knee---in fact that makes things worse since it causes swelling.
 
Just be careful after the MUA, you still need to heal from it as well. My doc urged me not to aggressively exercise a swollen, hot knee. You do not need to "push" the knee---in fact that makes things worse since it causes swelling.
Agreed. My points are simply 1) MUA is something that Lacy might want to investigate - especially since her doctor released her and doesn't expect to see her for months. The guidance I was given is that sooner is better than later for dealing with scar tissue. She may want to schedule with her doc to re-evaluate sometime soon.
2) Although much scary is written about the MUA, it really was no big deal (in my case). Swelling and pain are minimal, and I'd like to keep it that way.
 
I am only five days behind you because I had my right knee replaced on Sept. 2. It's been rough for me, but things a smoothing out a bit. Today is my 5 week point. My knee is swollen. Is it okay to do heel slides and extensions with a swollen knee?
 
The knee will be swollen for a while, but the more you elevate and ice the less swelling you'll have. Somewhere on BS there's a link for doing gentle heel slides. I did heel slides almost every day, a few times a day, but didn't push to the point of pain and iced/elevated afterward.
 
I've been more active today and feel better. Now I need to elevate and ice this afternoon.
 
@RunwithSmoke hi. I'm almost 12 weeks out and still have swelling. But it is less than at 9 weeks. And more flexible
 
I went to see my surgeon today for a shot of cortisone on my non-surgical knee. However, when I told my surgeon that I was still in therapy after six months and dealing with swelling in my quad's he wanted to schedule a mua because my rom is between 90 and 100. Also, my extension is -5. My physical therapist feels it is a waist of time. HELP
 
Hi! One of the moderators will be along soon to give you a list of articles to read. In the meantime you can look in the library for different subjects. I am 5 months out and I'm at 110 and I know I'm not 0 yet but I'm not sure of the numbers. I recently just went back to PT because of pain in my quads, calves, hamstrings and some tendinitis. I haven't had a MUA so I can't answer any questions about that but there are a lot of members here who have undergone the procedure. I know that there is at least one article that says you can still gain ROM even up to a year.
 
I merged your two recovery threads as per forum protocol. It is very, very important that we all be able to see not only your present situation and concerns---as well as where you have been, when you have had your surgery, and what other issues, concerns, or questions that you may have had---it helps us to quickly advise you and it also prevents duplicate posts.

Thanks,

Tim C.
 
It is rather unusual to do a MUA on a knee that is over 90 degrees. This decision is really yours. Do you have time for the extended recovery? I do think that your PT is correct, some knees take longer to get to 105, 110, 120.
For the swelling, I found that support hose helped. Also, I went to see a Lymphatic massage therapist. She was able to teach me to do a few helpful things, and her wraps worked way better than I thought they would.

I would try both of these before I went in for me trauma to the knee.
 
I have been in physical therapy since July of this year. We have tried a brace at night to get better extension. I see an OT for the swelling and she gives me Lymphatic massage one a week. I continue to walk with a cane and I have major stiffness and a limp. I'm feeling hopeless as everyone I was in rehabilitation and therapy are all doing fine.
 
Maybe I just need to accept that 90 is all I'm gonna to get and the leg is not going to extend pass -5
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom