THR Laceylake recovery thread - dizzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nana, posterior there's only a few doctors who do anterior, no tables at any hospitals close enough. The rehab was very nice and is well known for their success rate but is known as medical boot camp. In the 2 weeks I was there I saw two back severe back injuries who couldn't stand, bent over, walking almost upright when I left. I heard them say to patients, u hate me now but by the time you leave you will love me.lol I bet they did too.....food was great and healthy but everyone was tucked in bed by 8pm and I am a late owl, I was up with the nurse and techs. Lol.
Hi Hippywoman, wow sorry for all your losses, hard year for you. Sounds like this one is better tho, you go girl.
Hi
 
Hi plum, where do you live, not many around my area in Michigan do anterior. The hana table that needs to be used, I would have thought out university of michigan would have had one but didnt. Surprisingly my young doctor doesn't do them, I would think new young doctors would all be up on it. Just seems like way less stress on a patient. Good for you, running at 68, I'm impressed lol I walked 5 miles every other day but not with any lightning speed.....my doctor said there's usually no reason why people our age can't do what we did before, so that's my plan....
 
I had posterior as well and am doing great. Today is 11 weeks and I'm already back bowling. I still use a pillow to raise the seat in my recliner as the seat kinda sinks down. I also still use my enormous amount of pillows in bed, just because I've become so used to them, I can't sleep without my buddies now. I have another week before my restrictions are lifted but was told by my OS that I must use caution for life. I have no problem with that, as I certainly don't want to go through this again, even though it was far better than the pre op pain.
Yeah...it does sound like a boot camp...mine was a lot more relaxed than that, but they did have specific PT nd OT schedules we had to stick to. A little tense at times, but glad I did the rehab stint. Took all the pressure off my hubby knowing I was under 24/7 medical care. By the time I got home, he didn't have to help me do anything.
 
Just did my first real grocery store trip, seemed a little scarey, am I weird? Felt strange like I was doing a first ever....lol. I felt pretty good before I left, was gone only about 45 minutes but when I got home my stupid knee on both legs hurt..what the!!!##?? Now I'm limping around, another question. Why do the significant others think you're crazy when a new pain pops up, or at least mine does, I swear sometimes he thinks I make things up...lol he looks at me strange and heads for the garage, haha, i h well.
 
@Laceylake, I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.
 
Oh, ok Josephine than I just add any questions to end of original thread? I don't know where I was but t thought it said to start new thread, I do read trying to learn I do have a question, I start feeling pretty good and walk without cane but if I go further I use it but why does my knee hurt, I do ice it after, it feels it swells some too. Do you think that will eventually stop? Thanks
 
Hello @Laceylake I hear you on the knee pain, mine has just started to go away. I think I was tweaking the knee as I was learning to use my new hip. I know my movement is completely different from pre THR. If it doesn't resolve consider a visit to PT so they can watch how you walk. Good luck, feel those healing vibes I'm sending.
 
This might sound petty since so many people are in real pain..but, I will hit 9th week anniversary coming monday. I don't have a lot of pain pain unless I do too much, mostly just the knee and lower back which I've always had. I do get like twinges in groin where the hip is and sometimes the area where most people thought their hip is lol both areas of course where a lot of activity took place, just wonder if normal don't read much about twinges also if I lean forward a little it hurts some as if I push on it. Stupid questions probably, quit pushing???? Just wondered, thanks anyone and everyone
 
Meant always had back pain, not knee, sorry. I know I know, if that's all I have to complain about lol
 
How are you doing? Did you get over the dizziness? I had crystals in my inner ear and had the eppley maneuver after months of having dizziness and testing by ent it was not hip surgery related. I just saw you are in michigan. I am in se Michigan and grew up north of Lansing. Hope you are feeling better
 
Hi doodles, the vertigo is gone but I have felt lightheaded foggy constantly, hard to explain went to doctor today, ears we're clean lol was really hoping they weren't and that was the problem, she's referring me to eyes, nose, ear specialist in Hastings, mi, do you know where that is? I live close to there, grew up in Leslie, small town between Lansing and Jackson.
 
I do get like twinges in groin where the hip is and sometimes the area where most people thought their hip is lol both areas of course where a lot of activity took place, just wonder if normal don't read much about twinges also if I lean forward a little it hurts some as if I push on it.
Good morning @Laceylake .it is 630am here and still dark. The two doggies and my hubby are asleep while I sit in bed propped up with groin and hip twinges.

Not Charley horse cramps just occasional twinges but they are achy. I got up and made an ice pack and some sliced oranges and apples and sitting here til it passes.

I get them at other times and haven't figured out the precursor . maybe it's just healing.

I don't have a pt..my doc just wants me to walk. Did you get any advice about exercises etc to reduce twinges?
Enjoy this Friday.
 
I had pt for 6 weeks, quit last week when time expired and didn't extend. In those weeks I had more pain to notice twinges, my doctor suggested just walking and leg lifts and stretching my leg daily til I can put I foot on my knee so able to tie shoes all after lifting restrictions. I do all but leg lifts thinking that might be making twinges but they still happen peridically. I hoped just a healing feeling. Pt wanted me to do side walks with a band along with pulling against the band with foot in all directions, which I haven't done because it seems to make the knee worse. So I walk, I know my cousins doctor told her to do nothing but walk walk walk, in addition another gal I know doctor said same thing. Still having the dizzy thing going on, wonder sometimes if that is stress related, seems worse at night and I do hate when Sun goes down right now.
 
Walking is the best exercise for new hips. I agree, don't do that band stretching silly stuff. It is probably aggravating your knee.

Please don't worry about the twinges you are feeling. Totally normal. It can take a year to feel totally normal following THR.
 
I have never been to Hastings have heard of it. Is it west of Grand Ledge area ? I grew up in St. Johns and then lived in Dewitt for years. I hope you get your dizziness figured out. It sounds like you are progressing well with the hip
 
I forgot to tell you. Beaumont hospital in Royal Oak does anterior and has the Hana table. I did not have mine done that way because I'm overweight. They are known for osteo surgeries there. At the pre surgery class said that Beaumont was 2nd in US for number of hip/knee surgeries done. #1 was in New York area I think and is an orthopedic hospital that only do ortho surgeries.
 
A bit of interesting info. my surgeon is with the Rothman Institute and is highly regarded in his ability to do the Anterior approach. He doesn't use the Hana table. I was on a regular table with a pillow under my hips.
I just assumed other surgeons did it this way, too?
 
Nice to know thanks, royal oak isn't too far. I was surprised my doctor didn't do anterior being so young but he said he only did it if the need wasn't too bad, if once you got in and things were bad you end up having to go through the back. anyway and mine was bone on bone. My cousin had hers done in Florida, posterior her doctor won't do anterior for whatever reason but d he thinks it's criminal that all doctors aren't trained in it. I know in rehab they said that anterior will put them out of hip business and that it will eventually just be out patient surgery. Interesting :fingersx::yes!::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
 
Posterior? Anterior? Those are two labels but there are more than two approaches using those labels.

For example the posterior approach Dr duwelius and another doc pioneered and research tested the last decade is low invasive with no cutting of muscles etc. They do most of them as out patient these days unless like me there is pain med sensitivity.

I asked him about the different methods and some thoughts he gave me made sense. He said there are skilled docs using various approaches. They key is to look at the doc's outcomes, his skill and the kind of meds, restrictions, recovery requirements to match your needs. Then check the surgery center record.

I had lots of recommendations re duwelius's skill and approach and his research outcomes were awesome. For me it was the best choice.
But there are lots of good choices.

For friends doing hips in future I always say do your research on the doc, the hsptl and the method. All three are important

And after surgery, heaven forbid don't tell them they made a lousy choice!, I have heard people say things like "you should have used this doc". Nothing like making a person fill dumb while they are recovery.... Not needed eh?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom