THR Laceylake recovery thread - dizzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herbal teas are fine. They aren't "medication". If you are still on any post op meds the herbal medication could interfere or react. Just best to check first.
 
Update on vertigo/lightheadedness, saw ENT today all checked out. However learned after this type of surgery this reaction can happen. Your brain, eyes and legs all talk in order for you to stay steady. Example, if you lean forward your stance/legs and eyes will tell your brain that you are getting ready to take a step. I have not had any problems lately and this may because my legs is stronger and I am walking better so I am equalizing my brain with eyes and legs. Just thought I would pass this on......
 
Makes sense..glad you are doing better. Had the first snow yesterday.It was just an inch but slippery. Glad my hip is steady.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your ENT's input is very interesting. I had major balance problems following my LTHR. Some of this was due to a reaction to the blood thinning meds I was taking. But what your ENT said makes sense. I was very weak as I had limped around for literally years.

Thanks for the info!
 
13 weeks now, doing okay still the thigh pain. I use to get notifications on my email from here but haven't lately although it says I am following the discussion. Hmmmm. So how are you? Saw the Thanksgiving picture on facebook, are you crawling in and out of the igloo? That's impressive....lol
 
@Laceylake if you haven't posted on the forum for awhile the notifications stop.

Had an interesting discussion with a physio as well as my podiatrist about balance issues. Physio has diagnosed my bad gait following RTHR as a balance issue. She said the same thing as your ENT - connections are sometimes broken or confused post op. She gave me some balance exercises that are quite difficult for me - further confirming the issue. I also had my podiatrist check my shoe inserts and gait and he said the same thing. The good news is that "lost connection" can be corrected with work on the balance exercises. I am crossing my fingers as I really hate this feeling of being so clumsy!
 
@Laceylake good morning gal! Yup if I do go in and out of that funny looking sweatlodge but it took some preplanning so i would not get stuck on my knees. I was wandering why it was so quiet too. Now I know. Glad you are okay



Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
@Jaycey what type of exercise has he suggested? The lightheadedness went away for about a week and came back, strange but maybe not. I was walking pretty good for a while with a little discomfort with thigh muscle but out of nowhere, that has now extended down the side of the knee. Now I limp more and the head thing is back....any suggestion, is that the same muscle? Thanks, 14 weeks monday have os appointment Wednesday affraid he might think I shouldn't be hobbling tell??:sorry:
 
@hippywoman guess we need to check in more often to get notifications. Yeah, don't think I'd do well in that little dwelling even before surgery haha. So how have you been doing hip wise, last you said you were walking 5 miles? I thought I was doing pretty good not walking that far, :sneaker:a little trouble with thigh muscle have faithfully done leg lifts and stairs but the pain is now running down the far side of knee. I hadn't used the Cane for some time but am using again recently which bugs me, I am 14 weeks Monday and feel I shouldn't be using it at all by now..:sneaker:
 
@Jaycey what type of exercise has he suggested?
Several exercises. Standing on tip toes and balancing. Rocking back on heels and balancing. Standing one foot directly in front of the other (back foot toe touching heel of front foot) and balancing - then switch feet. Finally what she called the Michael Jackson lean - lean forward at an a angle and shift your weight to your toes, sideways and shift weight to side, back and shift weight to heels and then other side - working in a very slow and balanced circle. I have been doing these exercises for about 5 days and have already started to notice a slight improvement. I don't feel light headed but I physically grab (claw) the toes on my right foot with each step in an attempt to stay balanced.
have faithfully done leg lifts and stairs but the pain is now running down the far side of knee.
I would stop any "additional" exercises and just focus on walking and regaining that good gait. Use a cane as long as you need to. Ice and elevate if you have pain. Some of us take a bit longer getting back to "normal".
 
Had my last appointment with surgeon for a year, yeah....he is sending me back to therapy for the IT band, he said he cut through it and it runs from hip to just below knee. My thigh isn't too bad my pain is down by the knee and lower thigh, he is suggesting rolling it out. I have used a tennis ball which does seem to work some so hope this works. If I could get that in control and the gerd I'd be doing well. I can get both shoes and socks on, takes a little time but I get it done. He did say my thigh muscles are tight, I know that always have been, need to stretch those I guess. The final thing he said was after I hit the 18 month point, wherever I am is where I will always be.:egypdance:
 
Oh and antibiotics before teeth cleaning, colonoscopies etc for lifetime..only had to take one before the cleaning. Small price to pay I think.....
 
Hi, been gone a bit but I am now at 5 months and have a question. At my last appointment with surgeon we discussed the thigh pain. He said it was the T band he had cut through this and suggested therapy to roll it since I can't really get to it properly. I spent 6 weeks stretching, rolling and taping. In the end it was no better. It hurts all the time but worse after sleeping or sitting, once I get going it's not as bad but never goes away. Therapy said my strength is fine just need to use it more. I do the excercises they gave me daily but those make the groin area hurt in addition. Its winter and road is snow covered and narrow for walking, I go into town to walk every so often and have ordered a stationary bike. Is there any other suggestions, this pain makes me limp pretty bad at first, therapy said the band is like a bumpy gravel road but it's $20 each time they use the tool to smooth it out, three times per week, pretty expensive for 15 minutes. I am not yet at the point where I can say I am glad I had this done...thanks for any suggestions. Oh, and I have been having a lot of problems with severe heartburn brought on by all the ibprophren I have used, ppi and antacids of no help acetaminophen doesn't seem to help at all, now have appointment with gastrologist. Thanks
 
@Jaycey I have a question about the IT band. I have a lot of pain with this, not continual but often, went to therapy where they rolled it and used deep tissue instruments along with stretching. When I do have pain it is hard to walk. I am 6 months this month, they gave me stretching which I do but seem to be pretty well stretched out. I lay flat with ankle across opposite knee pulling knee towards shoulder but seems I have done so long there's not much stretch anymore. Do you have any ideas on other stretched we hipsters can do for that band? Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom