TKR Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

My husband sent out emails in the first few weeks to update friends and family on my progress. After I felt good enough, he turned communication over to me. Everyone said it helped to know my progress; once I felt ready, I asked friends to give me a call and then, finally, to visit. I also did FaceTime with out-of-towners (after pre-arranged times, so I could primp a bit).

I'm sure your friends are worried and miss you more than you know! Don't be afraid to reach out to them now when you need them.
 
I can relate. When I moved to Victoria from NY I knew no one except my daughter and her family. It was hard to meet people and 12 years later it's still a challenge! People are NOT open and welcoming here. Luckily I started working and at least had people to interact with, along with choruses that I joined. But friends? Few. I treasured my trips back to New York, to see my old friends. I do tend to be introverted, but the few people I have connected with here (all come from elsewhere) all agree that this is not a friendly town. And don't ask about who, of those few, were helpful afterward!
 
When I first moved to Gainesville I felt very alone and lonely. Then I found a church to go to and that led me to wonderful group of friends and even a great reading group. Don't give up hope. I bet there are nice folks out there that would love to get to know you.
 
Thank y'all. I know there are wonderful people here. But I'm not going to meet them without some effort. I do talk to my NC friends a lot and that is a blessing. I haven't skyped yet ( that would require makeup :)).

I used the condo gym yesterday-- rode the bike for 10 minutes and walked on treadmill for 10 minutes. Some light arm weights and upper body stretches. No increase in pain or swelling today, so I think that that is OK. I walk to and from the gym - trying to get in 3,000 steps a day now. It tires me more to walk outside than on the treadmill. I think my fear of tripping on my new knee is what is causing that, as it is flat and paved.

Tonight is my last dose of gabapentin -- it will be interesting to see if my zingers increase. I had one yesterday that took my breath away. It felt exactly like a strong electric shock right under my kneecap. It lasted only a split second, but Wowsers!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Like you, I find it easier to walk on the treadmill. We don't have to work quite as hard and no sudden obstacles. I hope the zingers don't get worse off the gabapentin. I still have them on occasion and strange pains that come and go in minutes. These new knees are a mystery.
 
Great job at the gym, and no swelling or discomfort! Yippee! Another step taken is another step conquered!
 
Wow, great day at the gym! My surgeon only had me on gab for five days. I can't say I noticed any difference when I stopped.
 
Good for you at the gym. Everything takes time - there's that word 'patience' again. :flwrysmile:
 
Morning y'all. Suzi, thanks - surgery was rescheduled for 10/11 due to OS having a death in his family.

I just woke up at 9 AM after going to sleep at 11. I'm so thankful that I'm blessed with good sleep but am beginning to worry about my enjoying being sedentary too much. It's 4.5 weeks and I still sleep 10-11 hours a night, ice and elevate at least 3 times a day, and spend about 1/2 the day on the couch (for every two hours light housework/activity, I ice 20 minutes). I checked BS activity progression chart and I think I'm on target, but it feels decadent. I guess my fear is that I will slip into this lifestyle and never get back to my "other" life.

My hip joint (operative side) started hurting last evening and still hurts today. I think it was the treadmill? I don't have arthritis in either hip. I'm going to try the elliptical (slow and short) today-- I'm thinking the jarring from treadmill might have done it.

Happy news about meeting people - the condo association has several activities (sip n paint, chili dinner, etc) planned for fall. I know husband won't go -- he thinks those are for "old people". . So, I've signed up to go alone. Time to take responsibility for my own well-being, and let husband do what he wants.




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I worry too about getting back into shape. I'm determined to make a chart and gradually increase how far I walk so that by the end of May I will be ready to tromp all over Scotland. It really helps to have a goal. I hope you meet some nice folks your age at the condo's activities.
 
Morning y'all. Suzi, thanks - surgery was rescheduled for 10/11 due to OS having a death in his family.

I just woke up at 9 AM after going to sleep at 11. I'm so thankful that I'm blessed with good sleep but am beginning to worry about my enjoying being sedentary too much. It's 4.5 weeks and I still sleep 10-11 hours a night, ice and elevate at least 3 times a day, and spend about 1/2 the day on the couch (for every two hours light housework/activity, I ice 20 minutes). I checked BS activity progression chart and I think I'm on target, but it feels decadent. I guess my fear is that I will slip into this lifestyle and never get back to my "other" life.

My hip joint (operative side) started hurting last evening and still hurts today. I think it was the treadmill? I don't have arthritis in either hip. I'm going to try the elliptical (slow and short) today-- I'm thinking the jarring from treadmill might have done it.

Happy news about meeting people - the condo association has several activities (sip n paint, chili dinner, etc) planned for fall. I know husband won't go -- he thinks those are for "old people". . So, I've signed up to go alone. Time to take responsibility for my own well-being, and let husband do what he wants.



Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16


You can only do what you're able to do. I tried doing light arm exercises from a chair quite early on. I wish I could have slept as well as you are at 4.5 weeks! My hip is really sore sometimes, but chances are your muscles are very tight, and you're likely rotating your leg out, no? That's my "comfy" knee position. When you're able, try sitting on a tennis ball on the floor, rolling a bit until you hit the sweet spots...might help those glutes and hips relax a bit.
 
Sheila, once you start to feel better you will automatically start doing more things. You don't have to worry about being sedentary. You'll get up when you feel confident enough!
 
When you've always been busy, it's extremely difficult to be in recovery mode from MAJOR surgery like a TKR and, having your second knee bad enough that it's also scheduled for a TKR. If ever there was a time to slow down, rest, ice, elevate, hydrate, and eat a healthy diet, it's NOW! (I know this because I'm going through it now too and this is my self-talk.)

I actually had my primary care doctor do bloodwork a few weeks ago because I still have no stamina. It was normal and he also said that I am still in major recovery. My OS said Wednesday that I am still in major recovery. I put a sticky note on my bathroom mirror this morning that says, 'You're still in major recovery.' :rotfl:

Soon, there will be a time for us to be active.
 
I was one who couldn't sleep at night, just couldn't get comfortable, so I ended up napping often through the day even though I'm not a typical napper. You are sleeping and resting often because your body is still recovering from the surgery. I found that I followed the activity progression chart even though I wasn't on BS at the time, but went back to work part time at 12 weeks and I was exhausted after a morning of first grade. You've gone to the gym, rode the bike, signed up for activities, that's the beginning. I believe if you were active before TKR you will be again. My dad fell 10 months ago (off a ladder at the age of 84) , broke his hip and needed a THR, but at about 6 weeks he got busy. He began to take back all his jobs from his family. It'll come, but it'll be a it longer with your second knee coming up.
 
@TML


I actually had my primary care doctor do bloodwork a few weeks ago because I still have no stamina. It was normal and he also said that I am still in major recovery. My OS said Wednesday that I am still in major recovery. I put a sticky note on my bathroom mirror this morning that says, 'You're still in major recovery.' :rotfl:

Soon, there will be a time for us to be active.[/QUOTE]

I so agree and I think I'll hang a note up on my bathroom mirror that says the same thing:heehee:
 
Shelia,
Don't worry about sleeping too much.... most likely your body needs it.:sleep: You are in the early stages of recovery yet! ....I have to remind myself all the time with that little voice "slow down, so you can heal"
It took almost 5 months before I felt like things were" somewhat" returning to normal after my first TKR, and now I'm back to square one my other knee...we should all get medals for our bravery right?:yes!:
 
@TML I love your sticky note reminder! It's a good one.

Sheila, I'm glad to hear you are going to the condo events. You may meet some interesting people and it starts with that.

I was also one who could sleep well early on, thankfully. I was in pain for a long time, and immobile, basically, for several months. But, once I could drive, and get into the car without grimacing, I felt FREE as if I'd just been released from supervised probation. Every outing was thrilling, even if it was only to Walmart. Everything was new again. I would venture to guess that with your past experiences working in Africa and being so caring and wanting to return to that world, your time of decadence will lose its appeal! You'll want to be back in the world.
Maybe your body is messaging you to rest a bit before the next big adventure.
 
Please define "Woot!" for me. I never heard or read it. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom