TKR Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

I can picture you husband trying to chew quietly, lol...I hope you feel better soon!
 
Shelia, I hope you continue to feel better. Your next surgery is only a few weeks away. Perhaps you could maintain what you were doing before entering the ODIC and rest. Go into the next surgery without new pains.
Remember this isn't a horse race. :fasthorse:
 
Puréed foods. :) Or earplugs for me. Amazing how pain amplifies everything.

TML, I'm getting out of that club ASAP. I think I read that "20 minutes of activity" on progression chart wrong. I won't be using treadmill anymore for a long while. I'll do the bike and take my walks outside. That pounding on treadmill doesn't agree with me.

The hip and groin pain are almost gone. I slept on my side and stomach last night. Woke up several times with bad pain in OLD knee, but went right back to sleep. Baby steps!! Woot for tummy sleeping!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Tummy sleeping, wow! I haven't been able to do that yet. I guess it's because my extension is still at +5. Enjoy that tummy sleeping!
 
Today is my 5 week anniversary. I continue to say grateful prayers that my surgery scheduled for last week was rescheduled. I already feel a little stronger.

Physically, I seem to be in a holding pattern - 10 minutes on bike, upper arm exercises, stretches, 20 minute walk outside (NO more treadmill), light housework, grocery shopping and making dinner. I can now do 4 steps up leading with new knee. Going down with that knee as the strong one is painful. I go up and down 15 stairs about 4-5 times a day, leading with old knee. My knee is finally not hot or swollen unless I overdo. I ice 20 minutes three- four times a day, using gel packs. Taking ibuprofen for pain at night. The big milestone is being able to sleep on side and tummy-- that feels amazing. I'm not doing PT-- just didn't reschedule after I was discharged prior to knee 2. I did stop in and get measured and I'm at 122 and -2. He wanted to schedule me for this week but I declined, using insurance as an excuse.

This seems to be a more emotionally trying week. It has become very obvious to me that I won't be ready to go back to Salone in March. Also daily Progesd is not as visible, and overdoing it is easy to do. I've had a lot more zingers and was alarmed about that until I remembered I stopped the gabapentin -it worked.

I'm trying to stay focused on my blessings and want to start being more supportive to people here, and focus less on myself. It's way too easy for me to slip into being self-centered. Good news is that I can change that!

Gorgeous fall day here. Time to open the windows and let the sun shine in!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
You are doing amazing, unfortunately recovery for TKR is a long, slow process, but it seems to me that you are having a great recovery in spite of some rough days, as time passes there will be more good days than bad, but part of the problem is that when we have a couple of good days, we over do it and end up with a setback.

You have the right attitude, count your blessings each day!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE fall! Finally, we just might be getting rid of that terrible heat and humidity. And Sheila, it sounds like you are making really good progress. Your new knee will be ready to take over when you pick up your newborn! This rescheduling has been a huge blessing for you! God is so good!
 
Yes! God is good. All the time!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
You are really doing fantastic. Look at all you are doing every day ago 5 weeks out. Most of us were still having difficulty walking at all and lots of pain and swelling. The amount of stairs you are doing is quite a lot. I could just barely make one trip up and back at 5 weeks. Your ROM is very good. I still haven't made it to 0 extension never mind -2. Think of where you were when you came home from the hospital. You will then see how much you have progressed.
 
This second month of recovery can be difficult because although you're making progress it isn't as noticeable as month one. In another few weeks you'll have a hard time doing the things you mentioned because of knee #2, so bask in your achievements for now. I'm sorry you may have to change your plans for Africa. I remember how much I looked forward to returning to my classroom and how concerned I was about my students. Does your husband go to Salone with you?
 
Karri,
My husband isn't able to go to Salone to work (he works here in Columbus). My first deployment he couldn't visit due to outbreak but the last stint, he visited for 10 days. It was wonderful. He was a real trooper-- I was worried as this was his first trip to a resource scarce country -- and Salone is not a good choice for a first trip. But he loved it and jumped right in and worked. I had to pull him away from Kono (I needed some R & R at a place with electricity and a real shower). During next deployment we plan to meet in Paris and Brussels at intervals, in addition to his 10 day visit to Salone. I am hoping that when he retires we both can work there with Partners-in-Health. And with my new knees, it's certainly possible :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I think you are having a very good recovery too, I can only dream about the things you are doing already. I hope your second goes as well as the first. Sounds as if you'll be much more ready by October.
All the best.
Tabby xxx
 
You'll be amazed at what you can do when you're fully recovered. Today I swam a mile and rode 4 miles on my bike. The TKR isn't sore, but I'm tired!
 
My hip is very painful, from hip joint to mid hip, even down to back of leg. I thought it was treadmill, and stopped that, but the pain came back last night and is about a 7 or 8 today, when I walk . I found a post by J. and it seems like I have Piriformis syndrome. I'm sitting on ice.

I don't want to call OS. I'm going to see if icing helps. Taking ibuprofen, Tylenol and oxy . Doesn't seem to help at all-- just makes me foggy brained. My hip joint is making a clicking when I walk -- I don't have arthritis in my hip.

I'm wondering if moist heat will help or harm. It seems like my hip joint is damaged it hurts so badly.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Hi shelia,
This might be something completely different from your hip pain, but I'll throw it out here. I was having a lot of left hip pain before the operation, and my OS said it wasn't arthritis but rather straining everything in and around my hip in order to walk with a knee that was both completely stiff and very bowlegged. The hip pain just started returning the last couple days, as I've been walking more on my new knee. Along with being very careful about my gait, I talked to my therapist about it today, and he suggested a hip stretch which really felt good and already seems to be working for me. (And by the way, the therapist said I was right, that hip is extraordinarily tight.) The exercise is to lie on my back and put my left ankle on my right knee, then hold my left knee in both hands, and pull gently towards my right shoulder and hold when I get a good stretch. So you are gently pulling both upwards and to the right. The first time I did it, I could barely get my ankle on my right knee. But I've done it a few times now and it's already loosening up just a slight bit. Anyway, if this stretch is any good for you, help yourself!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom