TKR Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

Thanks, Karri. We'll have to wait a bit longer.

Well, OS office just called. My surgeon's mom died. Surgery is delayed until October 11. I am so sad for him-- he's a dear man, in addition to being a rock star surgeon.

I must say the delay is a big relief. Having another couple of weeks of healing seems awesome to me.

Last night, we saw "Sully". It showed the fortune he kept in his wallet. It was "a delay is better than a disaster". When I saw that, I thought, "hmmm".

I feel like a big weight has been lifted. I've been praying hard about this surgery and the impact on baby knee. Now I can give the baby full attention for a while longer .

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016

I agree, Shelia, it's a blessing. You have a few weeks more to recover from the first TKR. Now you can have a stress free day.

Ahh the irony of life. Sad news for him, good news for you. A bit more time sounds good for you to get a bit stronger on knee #1

I am a firm believer that God's in control and that things happen for a reason! It doesn't help at all to get upset about them, just realize that something better is on the way! And your list is right on for those coming up behind you and what a big help to them!

Ah, you're adjusting well, making the best of it. And perhaps it is truly for the best, for your knees. I LOVE your list!

Interesting the way things work out! Your knee will have time to get stronger, and you can do a little bit of on-line shopping while still in your right mind! Loved the pink halter dress in closet reference. Sorry for the surgeon's news, but it will work out better for you.

• Funny
Reactions: TML
This change of plans worked out well for you! I'm really glad you have more time for baby knee to get stronger.

I love your 'pink halter dress' story. I did a similar online purchase several years ago as I was recovering from neck surgery. Watching QVC at 2am, I used my credit card to purchase a Pilates reformer! I forgot I bought it until this huge heavy box arrived. :rotfl:

My husband finally got over it, but hides my credit cards now when I'm on pain meds! :heehee: It has been one of the best purchases I ever made - my PT was so impressed I owned one. I've made good use of it for rehabbing my knee.

My next surgery will be one week after yours so we can time our '30 minutes of worrying' together.

This gives you a little more healing time, which is good!!!

@Tabbycat
That was quite a drug induced purchase, Tabby. Must have cost a pretty penny. But what a great piece of equipment to own! I used to do Pilates with a private teacher. It was fantastic.

I am rolling about the Pilates machine. I had to google it. My hot pink dress pales in comparison [emoji1].

FG- it is good to know when you could lead stairs with baby knee. Just those three stairs set me back for 2 days. I've been going up and down the 14 stairs since day 2, but until I tried letting new knee be in charge, I didn't realize how much I was depending on old knee. No wonder it hurts. I'm going to do one stair up and down with baby for a few days.

You all are right - the delay is a real blessing. I have almost 3 weeks to eat more healthfully, focus on the baby, and heal. Like Sister, I believe things happen for a reason . I truly believe my prayers about my surgery were answered (not in the death, but in the delay).

Today is my one month anniversary . I am taking a little picnic to the park and sit on a bench and feed the geese at the little lake. It's a glorious blue sky day here, with a nip of fall in the air. My baby knee feels good except for tightness that I attribute to the "too soon" bullying of baby knee on the stairs.

Happy healing day, y'all. May our zigs outweigh the zags!

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016

nip of fall in the air

Ahhh so jealous. Still 90s, muggy, rainy in ever summer Florida. But our time is coming, :)

Your picnic , feeding geese, sounds so nice.

That tightness seems to be a common thing. Wonder how long it takes for that to get better

Enjoy your picnic.

My tightness lasted about 2 months. Every so often My Brat tightens up again when I do too much. But, for the most part it is gone! It sure bugged me when I had it, though!

Shelia, your pink halter dress story and TML's Pilates story made me lol. I always warn people about shopping while on pain meds. I was recovering from infection/washout surgery in December and had to do all my Christmas shopping on line, which I've always been good at. However, when I got myself set up in the family room the week before Christmas with wrapping paper, tape, and my leg propped up in the imbolizer, I began opening packages and realized I hadn't actually bought everything I thought I had. It is not a lot of fun Christmas shopping with an imbolizer during the Polar Vortex, but I was determined to have gifts for everyone. You'll both remember those purchases fondly!

I tried to balance my checkbook and that was a disaster! And remember the problem I had trying to prepare to teach my Sunday School lesson at 5 weeks? I just couldn't do it!

I am living the sisters-in-impaired shopping stories! Karri, I bet you got some cool Christmas gifts. I'll be online shopping this year. I hope everybody likes hot pink[emoji1]

The picnic was nice, although I was alone. I used the cane to navigate across the grassy knoll to the lake-- very careful of holes, rocks, zombie caves.

I'm lonely for my friends and church. We delayed choosing a church home here until after surgery. That is my fault-- I nixed all the ones we visited, I think I was trying to find what we have in Asheville, not taking into account the two decades it took to build that wonderful church home/family. But I'm just plain old lonesome here-- I can go days without talking to anyone in 3D other than my husband. It's not healthy. But I really don't know how to meet new people without the jump-start of work, children or church. I'm a shy person and my limited mobility is not helping things. I am going to try out the little condo gym today. Just a few minutes on the recumbent bike. Maybe I will meet another woman there. :(

On the happy side - my best friend is going to come up for the weekend my husband is away. He didn't want her to come for first knee, wanting to "take care of me himself". I am going to have to put my foot down . I understand him not wanting another person in the small condo. But he's surrounded by people all day at work. He loves to come home and relax. But isolating me from my friends is starting to impact my mental health. It's bad enough not knowing anyone in Columbus, but not having my Asheville friends visit is just not fair (I don't have any extended family).

I must be getting better cause Im complaining about things other than my knee! :)

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16

Loneliness is part of this recovery, unfortunately. People are afraid that you're too tired or that you don't want visitors. Why don't you call some of your friends and tell them you'd like some company. Many will be glad to come see you. People want to help but don't know how. That will be one way they can help you out.

Do some research on churches in Columbus. A friend of mine used to be a pastor at a mega church in Columbus, but I can't remember the name and he's in Akron now. It was a Grace Brethren church if that helps at all.

It can be a lonely recovery, I feel for you being in a strange place with no friends. I looked forward to co-workers visiting, my BFF was at my house every day (we live 3 blocks away from each other) and my favorite times were when my dad would stop by Subway for lunch and we'd watch a sporting event on tv together.

You're well enough now to crave some company. Hav fun with your BFF!

OK - I must be weird! I actually preferred no one around! My daughter in law offered, and I truly intended to have her over, but I just didn't want anyone around. I was so wiped out, I just vegged on the sofa with the tv on. Went on that way for 2 months until I went back to work.

You are such a great person. I bet some of your friends just don't know quite how to respond. Give them a call just to chit-chat. I bet they will be happy to know how you are doing. While talking you can mention how lonely it is to be in a new city. They will be tickled to call you or email you or just keep in touch. Maybe they even think you are out of the country! Sometimes it's hard for us introverts to reach out. My BF doesn't get that. I am trying to be better doing that. You know you have a ton of friends here that will be with you all through the next TKR.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member