TKR Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

Ah, I just read Josephine's link for piriformis referenced above by Kerry B, and her recommended stretch is almost the same as the one I described in my post from my pt. I love it when all the medical people agree! So that's probably what I am experiencing too, and I'm going to add the sitting on my gel pack to what I'm doing. Thanks!
 
Karri, thank you. I definitely think it is Piriformis syndrome.

Audrey, the stretch felt good, although I can't get my heel on my knee.

I seem to have lost mobility in the last few days. I'm having pain walking (gets better after I loosen up), and the pain in my hip won't let me lift my leg without assistance. I have sharp pain under kneecap at times.

I can't think of any excess stress I've put on leg except trying to practice coming down stairs (4) with my new knee in charge.

I've cut back to riding a mile on recumbent bike, as that seems to help the pain. I'm a bit discouraged. I was doing so well and now my knee hurts worse that it did pre-op-- the hip is making everything hurt. Of course I worry that I have an infection lurking or have damaged my prosthesis. Something's not right.




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Our minds always goes to the worst explanation possible when a strange pain hits. Do you see a PT? S/he might be able to diagnose the problem and give you some help. I do the piriformis stretch every morning and was amazed the first time I tried it after surgery on how tight I was. As you know heat helps tight muscles and ice helps inflamed tissues. It would be good if somehow you could figure out what is going on and then you use the right approach. It is wise to be backing off the exercise for now.
 
You are so right, Amy Jo! My mind always went to worse case scenario, until it was the worse case and then I refused to accept. I thought I could just take a few pills instead of surgery etc. I've seen Josephine say it's almost impossible to damage the implant. My college roommate fell on hers a a few months ago. She had tons of bruising but an x-ray showed everything was fine.
I will say the weather definitely effects both my TKR and natural knee. Yesterday my knees ached. I got on the bike and could only ride 3-4 miles because my natural knee was sore. Then later in the evening my TKR was sore. This morning all is good with both.
 
@KarriB both my knees were bothering me today and, guess what, the weather just changed to a little cooler. I am convinced that our joints are very sensitive to weather changes.
 
I have had piriformis syndrome a few times what fixed it almost instantly for me was 1 or at most 2 visits to my chiropractor. I'm not a big fan of chiro, but for this it's like magic instant relief.

It's litterally a pain in the butt. Hope you get some relief.
 
It turned cooler and rainy here, so maybe it is the weather.

I've never been to a chiropractor but I'd got to the vet right now if I thought it would help. I keep trying to do Audrey's stretch but it's not happening. I also got a foam elevator pillow thinking maybe my elevation is putting pressure on my hip. And a moist heating pad . The medical supplies continue to mount.

If this is not better by Monday, I'm going to OS. It hurts to bear weight on my new knee leg, more than right after surgery.

I think I'm sitting around ruminating too much. Hopefully husband and I can do something fun this weekend - nothing sounds fun right now, though. I'm tired of this and can't believe I'll have to start all over in 11 days. I am sorry for the negativity. Fact is, I've been very blessed in my recovery and this is nothing compared to real suffering I see some others go thru here.

Here is a pic of my 5 1/2 week scar on my new pillow.
[Bonesmart.org] Knees 1 AND 2 up and running



Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'm worried that the area on left of scar is inflamed-- it seems redder than before. Yep, more obsessing


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Scar looks great to me. I still have a small red area on the scar that I've decided not to worry about. If something is wrong it will get much worse. I tend to obsess too.
 
I understand, I make my pt check my scar every visit because I'm worried I can't tell the difference between normal pink and warm, and abnormal red and hot! I look at it every day with intense scrutiny and even use a flashlight. I think a lot of us get over obsessed, but hey, if we don't watch out for ourselves, who will? And regarding that stretch, when he first had me try it yesterday, I couldn't get my ankle on my knee either. I worked up to it slowly all that one hour session. And the fact that I had difficulty, was what made the PT tell me that that hip tendon, or muscle, or whatever it is, was very tight. So maybe it really is that easy explanation, of very tight things around our hips from years of overcompensating. (He told me a variation on the stretch, where you sit upright on the edge of the PT bench, which started out similarly, with, "first you cross your left ankle over your right knee." I laughed for about two minutes, then asked him, "do you know how many years it's been since I've been able to cross my legs while sitting down?" He said, OK, let's just do the lying on your back one for now.)
 
Oh Audrey!! Thank you for making me laugh-- I was NOT going to admit the flashlight exam! I have a LED one on my bedside table for better viewing [emoji23]. I've got my ankle up to the knee and pulled back toward shoulder a few times. It's like a tight rope back there -- that must be what this is! Im going to moist heat that darn and get on with it! I don't know how y'all stand me -- I annoy my own self. Good grief!!!

I need to get back on my worry-box routine. It's like Floridagal says - it will either get worse or not. I'm driving myself crazy. Husband is bringing home a lovely dinner, then we are going to watch something funny.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Have you tried sitting on an ice pack? Josephine says that's helped her.
 
Karri, I used the ice pack most of day yesterday and this morning.

I'm on a moist heating pad now-- something has helped. I think it was Audrey's stretch that loosened that tight rope up or popped my hip back into joint. I felt a pop and got sudden relief -- it still hurt but not the knife- like pain I had before. I am " double jointed" and my shoulders dislocate pretty often (slip right back in-- it's just genetically loose ligaments). I never had it happen to hip before, but Wowsers that was some agony. Praise God it's over. If it happens again, I'll brave the ED.

Curled up in bed -- pain relief is so wonderful. Again, praise God it's gone.

Night y'all -- thank you for your help in that awful period. I feel like I can breathe for the first time in a couple of days. Whew.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'm glad that pain has eased a bit. Now you know what to do if it makes another visit. That double jointedness is probably why you have a negative extension.
 
Woot! Woot! for relief in the hip. I bet it just keeps getting better now.
 
I'm glad you're getting some pain relief! Isn't piriformis also called sciatica? I got terrible sciatic pain 1 week post-op shooting down the lateral side of my leg towards my ankle. It was more painful than the surgical pain! I iced my derrière and did hamstring stretches frequently. It finally subsided but I feel your pain!
 
If I remember my anatomy correctly the piriformis is a muscle in the butt and the sciatic nerve is a nerve. If the piriformis is tight it can press on the nerve causing the pain that goes down the leg. You might want to google this if you want good information.
 
Yes! Excellent article, Celle. Thank you!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Back
Top Bottom