TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My non-operated knee (Grindy) has been feeling "catchy" if I walk for more than about 10 minutes. My latest episode with Grindy came this Thursday as I was walking along and I felt something "catch" in the knee. Then I couldn't walk without what felt like something catching inside the knee every time I swung the leg to take a step. It seemed better if I held the leg straight, but any bend lifting the leg was :yikes: ! I iced a few times yesterday and today it feels only like a residual catchy-ness. I'm curious--could this be a meniscus issue? I know my other knee had had several degenerative meniscus tears. Is that pretty common in OA and RA? Orthodoc
I'm hoping the knee will hold out until next summer when I plan to have it go bionic.
 
Kneeper,

While I could not make an actual diagnosis for you over the internet, I will tell you that meniscal tears are frequently associated with catching and mechanical type symptoms. Additionally, they are frequently will cause some swelling (effusion) within the joint. They will usually cause difficulty with deep knee bending and twisting on the knee. Meniscal tears are highly associated with the arthritic process. It is actually rare for me to see an arthritic knee that does not have some level of meniscal damage.

Orthodoc
 
Ok, thinking out loud here. So I'm having one of those days where I'm having pain in my hip (groin area) and in the side of my hip (maybe bursitis) and in the butt and achyness in the operated knee. The hip area pain seems to be worse when I sit for a long time. I'm wondering if my knee is having referred pain. Maybe I should have my rheumy check out my hip when I have my appointment in a few weeks. anyone else have similar symptoms?
 
I can't help you at all medically, kneeper, but I think most of us have/had painful or achey hips associated with our knee problems. All to do with our walking, etc.
 
It's my 2 year Knee-versary today! Overall I've been pleased. Have some knee birthday cake on me! :cheers:
 
Yum yum I enjoyed that cake, kneeper, thanks :heehee: And many congratulations on your two year akneeversary :yay:
 
CONGRATULATIONS on your 2nd kneeversary. Your description on the catchiness in the knee is exactly the symtoms I had with my meniscal tear. Sometimes its excruciating sometimes you can almost shake it out to shift the flap that's catching. Sounds weird but it worked for me til I had the arthroscopy - year later had to have TKR! Good luck. :puppysmooze:
 
Thanks. It does seem like it slips around or something. I can go weeks where it's fine and then it gets an episode that will last several days before it slips back.
Did walking seem to bring on the catchyness? I can't seem to tolerate walking more than about 15 minutes at a time.
 
Yes I found walking did cause the catchiness, but sometimes I'd get up from a sitting position and the flap got caught and I'd hobble about a bit. I don't believe it'll get any better, just worse, so unfortunately you're going to have to have it seen to. :puppysmooze:
 
This sounds like one more reason to go ahead with the tkr next summer--get it all dealt with at once. I do get some exercise using a seated stepper and do some upper body exercises, so I'm not a complete lump. Except for right now b/c I've got a cold. :(
 
I've been a little bummed lately by aching that seems to be in my tkr knee. My xrays have all looked good at my checkups (last one in spring-- ) so I wonder if the fibro is causing a lot of muscle aching that feels like it's in the knee. :scratch:

At my last appointment my OS indicated that they can replace a joint, but the soft tissue issues are another story.

I do definitely have soreness around the quad area still (possibly some tendonitis?) Often when the knee is hurting it feels like the whole leg is also hurting, especially around the outside of the hip area--trochanter? I do know those outside thigh muscles are kind of weak.

I haven't lost any function in the knee and I don't get any sharp pains when walking or anything.
any thoughts?
Orthodoc Josephine :bow:
 
especially around the outside of the hip area--trochanter?

This is a very common place to have pain when part of the leg is not functioning correctly. Yes, the trochanter can be felt on the outside part of the hip. The trochanter acts as an area for tendon attachments. It is common to get a bursitis just over the bony prominence.

Orthodoc
 
Hi Lisa. Sorry I haven't really kept up with your your thread.
Been super busy. Too busy. Cant keep up with my own thread.
But I received your update via email.
Wanted to offer up support, and as Jackie said happy one year Mark.
I can't testify for post op.
But for pre op losing 100 pounds didn't do squat for helping my knee, feels worse than ever.
But hoping that's a diff story post op.
I will venture to say it is. If u read Sonja's story aka rest assured. She has lost close to 200 lbs post op, and I think has helped her tremendously.
So again there still plenty of healing to take place even after a year.
Good luck to you....:)
Take care....Sheryl

U know things can continue to improve.
:angel:
 
Thanks Orthodoc & Josephine. Probably a case of everything's connected. :wink: I will take it a little easy for a day or so. I did do some icing the other night which seemed to help. :whistle:
 
A day or two? How about a week or two? These things didn't get started in hours and they'll not settle in hours!
 
Yes, perhaps I was overdoing a bit...:bicycle2:
 
A day or two? How about a week or two? These things didn't get started in hours and they'll not settle in hours!
Hmm, I took a week off from exercising (partly on purpose and partly due to scheduling) and go figure--the leg felt pretty good this last week. Go figure. :whistle:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom