Guest viewing is limited

TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the knee getting stiff. After I'm on my feet for about an hour, my replaced knee feels really stiff. Once I walk around or sit down and bend it, it goes back to feeling fine. I have no weird pains or loss of bend. Is this a soft tissue thing to be expected? Is there something I should be doing to counteract it? I don't mean sitting down :wink: --muscle work or something? Any tips or thoughts would be welcome.
Josephine Orthodoc
 
Kneeper,

This is not an uncommon occurrence. Typically this feeling fades away by a year from surgery (or earlier). Unfortunately, you are much past that time. It is good to continue to to keep the knee moving with simple ROM and strengthening exercises (quad sets, straight leg raises, etc...). I see you are considering having the other knee done in the summer of 2014. Keep in mind that this results may or may not be present in the left knee. One side does not predict the other other.

Orthdoc
 
kneeper - I have the same stiffness regardless of what I do if I am in one position - it can be standing or sitting.
 
Thanks Orthodoc , puffin and Dhare63. I do some basic ROM most mornings and continue to work on the quads. Good to know I'm doing the right things. I'll continue.
Since I stand quite a bit at work the stiffness an everyday thing:sad: --luckily it loosens up quite quickly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that knee # 2 will be less pesky.
I am still glad I had the knee done, though.
I do know that knee #1 was quite a mess for a long time. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Of course knee #2 has been shot for a long time too. I'm going to see about getting the ball rolling for summer soon.
 
Kneeper I am 14 mos out from my LTKR and I still get stiff all the time. At my recent 1 year re check I was told this was just going to part of my life. So while some might lose the stiffness, I haven't, and I guess I won't. I can live with the stiffness as its not painful. Just makes my start ups a little slower. Hugs!
 
My left knee was much worse than my right knee. The left knee starts to feel stiff sometimes---I am not always sure what causes it!! The right knee which was in better shape, does not get stiff----so, part of it is the pre surgery condition, at least that is what i think!! I forget about my right knee---but my left reminds me of its faux condition often!!
 
Well, I've started making the appropriate calls to get referrals and appointments with my OS for "Grindy" to be replaced this summer. Of course some of the people I need to talk to aren't in:doh: , but I should be able to find something out next week. fingers crossed.
 
kneeper good luck with that---my second knee was a piece of cake compared to the first---here's hoping for you too.
 
My rheumy ordered xrays last week and the report said "moderate" to severe narrowing in patellofemoral joint space and on the medial side. It sure feels worse than "moderate" and I have that intermittent catching and "going out" in the knee. The Oxford Knee quiz shows me just a point away from the "may indicate severe knee arthritis." We'll see what the OS says. Maybe it's like what Josephine has said, sometimes the xrays don't match totally with your symptoms.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'm mostly 3s with a couple of 2s and a bunch of 4s in there. All the sports/activities other than swimming are in the impossible category.
 
I have an appointment with my OS in January. It's not that I "want" surgery, but I do feel so limited in my daily activities I'm hoping he says "yes, we can fix this."
 
Thanks @Pumpkin. Cute icon! :)
 
Kneeper, I too have fibromyalgia. I've had it a long time but was only confirmed in 2010/11. Last test I had 18 out of the 18 trigger points. I wonder how much having it interferes with our recovery? I noticed that you have a Rheumy looking after you. Mine has been wonderful and very considerate. It was him that was very concerned about my knee and ordered further tests when my Ortho signed me off in February this year and told me to live with my knee, the pain and inflammation. Try some more physio.
 
I haven't had that aching soft tissue pain around the operated knee in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the fibro makes the tissues post surgery even angrier (or louder complainers :wink: ) than they would be otherwise. I also wonder in retrospect if I was pushed a bit hard in the PT early on. the new knee (not so new now--2 years+ ) itself is luckily fine.
I think that's why I'm willing to do it again for the other knee. Between the RA and the fibro, I know I might just have a slower recovery than "regular" OA people.
 
Well, just a couple more weeks until my OS appointment. I'm going to have a list when I go in of all the symptoms, such as how often the knee gives way, limitations in my daily life etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom