Guest viewing is limited

TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I went in for a massage focused on the knee area at an office with my health system (rather than a spa type place). The tightness felt a bit better afterward. I may try it again in a few weeks. In the meantime I'm keeping up with the heel slides, leg lifts & daily life (such as :snowplough:
 
You know me and my "stairs are still a problem" "will I ever get there?" complaining?:redface: Well, I can definitely tell there's been an improvement this week! I think I'm just a turtle in this regard.
 
Kneeper,
How are your orthotics for your Plantar Fasciitis?
Long recoveries are a challenge.
 
They took some getting used to but they seem fine now. I only get the occasional twinge now. That reminds me to use my roller in the morning.
 
Thanks, I will be using orthotics soon. Going to break them in slowly.
 
Glad you have a handle on the plantars. It can be such a nuisance. Hang in there! Glad you are reaching new goals. Ann
 
Another sign of progress.
I have a stool in my classroom to use if I need it. (and boy did I need it before the tkr & in the early days back at work)
I was able to be on my feet for a whole class this week and afterward realized I hadn't used it once for a "break."

And I have noticed that if I do sit on it I can put my right foot on the rung (it's sort of a bar stool type stool). I couldn't do that a month ago.

It's a small thing compared to ROM etc that others have, but it's progress for me and I've learned not to measure against others--so I'm kind of :yes 4:
 
I notice little things like this too. It does make you feel good, and like some control is returning. I can walk easy between desks now. I did put a larger big office type chair in my classroom. It has seemed to take away some of the knee tightness too. I just can't sit too long, it is too comfortable!!! It also seems to make my back feel better too. Progression is great isn't it? Even if it is small, keep the hope!
 
Kneeper, It is a great feeling making progress with all the little things in life that sometimes can be a huge obstacle for us folks with bad knees. I walked down a small slope in the road yesterday - I could not have done that last week. Good for you :wink1:
 
We're having May/June weather here and I had today off work, so I got out in the garden to do some cleanup of leaves etc. before it rained. I was so excited that the new knee felt fine. I can't quite squat yet (and of course old grindy--the left knee-- doesn't like that motion) but I can foresee some good weeding in my future. Who would have thought I'd be glad to do weeding? :snork:
 
Well, I'm coming up on my year check-up in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what the PA says. I think I still need to work on those muscles around the knee. But on a good note, on the bike this week I think I've noticed a slight improvement. I still wish I had more bend, but it is functional for me.
 
Hi Kneeper

One year is quite milestone for a new knee and my OS has told me on more than one occasion that it can take a good year or more for everything to settle for a replacement. It could be your bend could still improve. Good luck!
 
thanks PooShay & Jazyb!
 
Well, it’s now been a year since I got my new knee. Where has the time gone?

Had my checkup with the PA and the xrays look good. The bone has grown in nicely (I had the cementless) and things are positioned well. I have one issue with scar tissue or a tight muscle right above the knee but she’s sending me for some PT work on it. I am basically quite pleased with my results. I had hoped for a bit more bend, but considering where I was pre-op I think it’s ok. And I do have ok function--certainly better than I've had in many years. My extension is 0. And the knee doesn’t hurt!


I will definitely feel comfortable with having old “Grindy” (left knee) dealt with when the time comes. (Though of course no one *wants* surgery.) Hopefully it will be in a holding pattern for at least another year so I can schedule things over a summer break again. My OS & PA are of the approach that I’ll know when it’s time.
 
Congrats on your one year anniversary! :yahoo:

Time does fly when we're having fun (and even if we're not). It's wonderful that you are basically satisfied with your knee and that it continues to be pain free (the main thing, I think).
 
So great to hear that things are going well for you!!!!! Whoop! Whoop!!!!
 
Now I think I'm also getting a hip problem on the left side. I've noticed a problem for several months. I asked the PA when I went in for my knee check & she moved the leg around and said the symptoms were consistent with arthritis. Not sure if it's the RA or if I'm also developing osteo there.:sigh: It's really been aching the last few days. I guess I'll have to check in with my rheumy at my regular appointment in July.
Just had to vent.
​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom