TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm hoping to hold off for at least another year. As long as it doesn't feel too bad I'd like to hold off a bit. I'm hoping to teach in the summer session this year and maybe aim for summer 2013? I also think my insurance company will want to see that I've exhausted other options before they'll pay for a tkr.
My right knee was a no brainer. I had tried synvisc (successfully at first), other meds, but then I was bone on bone with a shredded meniscus.

I remember the report said something like an "amputated" tear in addition to other tears. Jo--would that mean completed ripped off or something? :scratch:
 
Just feeling a little needy today. The knee itself seems to be pretty good. It handled a 1 1/2 hour shopping trip, up and down the mall quite well. (The other knee needed a break though.)

It seems to be the muscles right above the knee--as far up as the scar goes--that still protest on stairs (up and down). If i knead the area its a bit sore.
So is this just part of the healing still going on at 6 months?:skeptical:
 
HI Kneeper, I think what you are feeling is normal and I think we can expect to feel these kinds of things for many more months to come. I went out shopping as well, knee is sore, for me on either side of the knee just above the mid point of my knee. Had a few shooting pains and did a little massage, seems to have gone away. Maybe some ice is in order for both of us!

Take care, Dawn
 
Those surgical muscles will take some time to completely heal---and they tend to tighten up faster than normal until they are completely healed. Gentle stretching and icing/elevating/resting after exercise (or shopping) will be beneficial.

I am not sure about the six month window, but the muscles were cut, and they are still mending. As time goes on, your knee and the surrounding muscles will rebel less and less about the over-exertion.
 
Yep....you sure can have pains 6 months out.....1 year out....sometimes even longer. Many times the pains will come and go. They may move around. You have lots of soft tissue in there that can hurt as you slowly get back to your normal active life. Remember, these muscles and ligaments took a long time to adjust to your declining joint. Now they need time to do the same for your new, straight and strong one.
 
Yep....you sure can have pains 6 months out.....1 year out....sometimes even longer. Many times the pains will come and go. They may move around. You have lots of soft tissue in there that can hurt as you slowly get back to your normal active life. Remember, these muscles and ligaments took a long time to adjust to your declining joint. Now they need time to do the same for your new, straight and strong one.

Good point. and one I should know.:redface: I guess I just needed the reassurance.
Thanks everyone.
 
Well, I did some errands yesterday, such as hiking around Menards and did fine. But my knee was feeling achy last night and a bit today. It feels more like it's in the knee itself rather than the quad muscle area. This is not usual for me. Do you think it's just the rainy weather? I've never had weather sensitivity before--am I becoming a barometer? :snork:

I also had the thought that I've had the new foot orthotics (after the plantar fasciitis) for a week. could they be affecting my walking in such a way to aggravate the knee?
 
It could be either or both. You may have used some muscles a bit more that might result in some strain and/or swelling that would affect your knee. And, walking a lot with new orthotics can do the same. It takes your body some time to make the adjustment.

Remember....you just had your knee joint replaced. There is still plenty of soft tissue in there to complain when you do something different. It would likely be the same even if you had a natural knee. When this happens, take some Tylenol or ibuprofen for a few days and it should be fine.
 
Thanks so much for your answer. It does feel less achy today. I take tylenol every day anyway for the rest of my arthritis pain.
At the same time as I know it hasn't been a year yet and I shouldn't expect everything to be "normal" part of me still thinks "jeepers hasn't it been long enough?" or I get hyperaware of every ache (is it failing? is it ok?)
do as I say not as I do. :DOH:
 
We all feel like that in recovery. It's a pretty common thing....honest!
 
Now that my plantar fasciitis seems to be healed (or at least I'm able to walk again--I hate to jinx things) I've been getting out for about 20 minute walks every day. I'm taking advantage of there being no snow and ice at the moment--strange January weather here. Definitely not:snowplough:
The new knee handles the walking quite well.
" Grindy" protests a bit by 20 minutes and I don't want to push the foot so I haven't tried for longer. but gosh, I really haven't gotten out for regular walks (which I enjoy) since way before the surgery. It's a good feeling. So I just had to share. :redface:
 
So glad to hear you are doing better. Here's hoping that pesky plantar fasciitis takes a hike of its own and NEVER darkens your door again!
 
It occurred to me that I'm at 8 months this week. I've noticed over the last week just a hair more bend--maybe one or two degrees. So I'm a believer that the "window" for ROM is a myth.
 
That's good news. I've read it on here so many times about this "window" and then so many folks say it can take a good year. I'm trying not to think about ROM just yet (it's hard though!). :thumb:
 
Hmm, I'm on my feet a lot during the week and Saturday is my errands & up & down the stairs laundry day. The knee was kind of achy Saturday. Yesterday, I mostly laid around once I finished grading papers. The knee felt pretty good. Gee, could there be a connection? :DOH::th_heehee:

Maybe I'm still working on finding that balance between working that pesky quad area muscle (things like going down stairs or attempting to squat are still tender) and not overdoing. I know I do way less than most people here seem to, but perhaps since I'm coming from behind others in activity level I feel it more? Or should I be doing more exercises despite the soreness?

It is frustrating when you basically feel good except for one lingering issue:skeptical:. I have to keep telling myself "it's not a year yet."
 
Hi Kneeper

I'm not long enough into this knee business to advise but I'm sure you will get some good responses and I shall be keeping tabs on this one. Keeping note for the future :thumb:
 
Hi Kneeper

I'm not long enough into this knee business to advise but I'm sure you will get some good responses and I shall be keeping tabs on this one. Keeping note for the future :thumb:
 
See a chiropractor. You could use some really good acupressure treatment on those muscles.
 
Hi Kneeper,
I haven't been on here for a long time, but your post came up on my email, so I thought I'd toss in my views. I am 10 months out of TKR, and still have to be some issues. My knee swells after a busy day, and after lots of stairs, and the stiffness is always there, especially after sitting for awhile. Still taking ibuprofen or aleve nearly every day. The good thing is I can do stairs now like a regular person, with no fear of falling. Sometimes my leg aches, esp the area above the knee. However, I can see how much more I can do this year as opposed to a year ago. My knee feels good most of the time, just achy now and then. So I guess we have to be patient and accept it for what it is.
My left knee is deteriorating more quickly than I expected, and is causing me more trouble than the new one. Not sure I will go through this again, not unless I cannot get around at all.
My advice is to do what exercises PT gave you, and keep that knee moving. I know somedays it seems easier to do nothing, but try to walk or do easy stretches, etc. I envy the folks who have a new knee and tell me how they were running races or riding bikes after a few months. Well, I didn't do those things before, so I sure won't be doing them now!
Take care, things will improve.
Jeanne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom