Kneeling

I couldn't elevate while sleeping - think I pulled every muscle in my body including my hip because things shifted in the night. Now I just elevate during the day and keep one relatively thin pillow up my leg at night. The pillow stack shown here worked but it took a while to find the right combination of pillows to be comfortable
 
I wasn't comfortable elevating in bed, but could do it on the couch or in the recliner.

My husband elevated the foot of the bed itself, by putting house bricks under the legs at the foot end of the bed.
Or you could use bed risers, like the ones in the picture. They are available on Amazon.

[Bonesmart.org] Kneeling
 
Have been doing the elevation with the pillows but it is causing pain and bruising on the left hip.
I very much doubt that elevating is causing bruising! But it might be causing pain. Can you describe how you effect your elevation?
 
Another word in your ear, @dadman35 - it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing!

Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address (like I did above), of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
Im not in pain just uncomfortable. Its like nerves or something.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another word in your ear, @dadman35 - it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing!

Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address (like I did above), of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)

Didnt know I was doing it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Like now, no pain just a there sensation and wide awake.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yesterday was followup over an hour away, pretty uncomfortable ride there. Staple removal was uneventful. Went to lunch and then rode back to my town and the PT office. I really appreciated the ice and elevation last night but sitting up for so long was tiring and had sharper pain as I loosened my knee up. Love that my swelling is down alot.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I remember my first outing. For you to have more pain afterwards is normal. Take a few days and do nothing!
 
At this stage, one extra activity in a day is enough. Just going to your surgeon's office and having your staples removed was plenty. It was probably overkill for your knee to go on to PT afterwards.

As sistersinhim said, take a few days now to rest, ice, and elevate your knee, so that it can recover from your big outing.
 
Yesterdays visit was paperwork, todsy was an hour of gentle massage and evaluation. At the end I was so excited that I was able to lift my leg independent of pain and assistance! Arranged for a neighbour to cook dinner to give my wife a break from dealing with me. She has been such a great help. Slept for 4 hours and am now up watching Star Trek and working on my quads.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A couple of thoughts for you:
re: the pecs--is your walker adjusted to the correct height? Maybe if it's too low you're needing to hunch a bit or something.
re: the elevating & hip. Have you tried starting your pillow "ramp" closer to your butt so it's not so steep?

Do you watch the original Trek or do you like the others too?
 
I am a sci-fi junky from Asimov in jr high. I start with the pillow at my hip but it slides out. I am short so I have gone to two pillows which gives the toes nose issue. I am finding the less I lean on it I have less bee stings.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
At my first op pt he said my quad is not engaging. I am doing the knee press and am hoping it gets better. I was amazed that after pt I could lift my leg and want to get to that normal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you can lift your leg unassisted then your quads are firing. Good job!
 
But it will come back. It's still very early days and you will gradually improve.

Two reasons why straightening your leg is sometimes difficult that have nothing to do with your quads not engaging:
  1. Swelling is preventing full extension.
  2. Before your surgery, the muscles and tendons at the back of your knee had shrunk slightly (especially if you walked with a limp). It takes time and gentle treatment for those soft tissues to stretch again.
 
Up due to intense hip pain. Wondering if my lumbar issues are flaring up. 4-5 ridiculopothy, causes pain in hip and feet if not in check.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom