Guest viewing is limited

MUA knee so stiff<<

My heart goes out to both of you. I know this has been a long difficult journey. I'm truly sorry. Know that we're here for support when you're in need. Wishing you the best.
@bland9
 
A wheelchair would be quite helpful, I'm sure. I'm sorry that you have found no other solution. I pray the wheelchair will become a reality.
 
Certainly not the news we had hoped for, but I must say that you both have been very thorough in pursuing any available options. I’m so sorry it turned out this way. I believe the referrals you can obtain for aids will help make things easier for both of you. Don’t hesitate to push for that help.
 
OH received phone call today for him to be referred to the NNUH - problematic Knee clinic - never heard of this clinic - guess so we can discuss with another consultant how to manage his knee disabilities/pain
 
That sounds potentially promising. Good luck!
 
This sounds like your headed in the right direction. Remember to write down your questions and to also write down the sequence of events that has gotten you referred to this clinic. Its always easier to look on a sheet of paper (or your phone) rather than trying to recall something. When is your appointment?
 
How wonderful that the healthcare system is still willing to consider some “new eyes” and hopefully some options for your husband. What a tortured path you’ve traveled. You’ve never given up hope and I admire that. Perhaps this is the answer for you. I hope so!!!
 
OH appointment is Friday the 12th August 2026= so its soon . though must stress they have ruled out completely any further knee surgery- so guess its about pain management etc but mean while his GP has given him a new prescription Duloxetine Im very weary he takes this has I read that its not a very good medication to take, he suffer now from sundowning and Duloxetine does cause insomnia has a side effect never mind the bad nausea it also causes= has anyone got advice about this-medication
 
I am glad the appointment is soon, and there are some good answers above particularly the list of questions. Please also ask for Occupational Therapy help and hopefully the Dr’s will also be able explain about this new medication. We will be thinking of you and wait to hear how you get on. Please keep us posted.
 
Great news that he has an appointment in a week. :thumb: I'm sorry he's not doing well with the medication.
I think your best resource for learning more about the medication, possible side effects or any interactions with additional medications, will be from the GP who prescribed it, or your pharmacist. You're a great partner advocating for him. I'll bet he really appreciates you. :) Happy Thursday!
@bland9
 
Received phone call - nice people who contacted us but unfortunately cannot do much apart from attending group taking about managing pain ' they advises us to talk again to GP about Duloxetine and asking for another medication- but has for the group meetings with his illness he got this wont be suitable- but strange after all these time we were inform that he got severe Arthrofibrosis in his knee and it was good for then to tell us it was not due to lack of exercises but to how the body reacts
 
I’m so sorry to read this as I think you were hoping for more, especially after so long. At last you have what sounds like a definitive diagnosis and they offered a plan even if it’s not going to work in practice in your situation.
I know someone who was referred to The Liverpool Pain Clinic from another health area, with all accommodation covered, and it has had great results for them so it sounds like the group they’ve offered could have included some of the same approaches, although I’m just guessing here.
I hope the GP is helpful too, and yes we never know quite how the body will react to every situation. Thinking of you both.
I hope the Occupational Therapist is helpful and you get the adaptations and aids that he needs. Please push for this if you haven’t already. I posted all the numbers for Norfolk earlier in this tread.
 
Wishing you both the best as you continue to forge ahead. It's inspiring how you continue to endure the hardship alongside him. I'm sure your husband appreciates how attentive you are to his needs and cherishes your ongoing love and support when there are no easy answers. My heart goes out to you as a couple. :console2:
@bland9
 
Taking my OH to doctors tomorrow for chronic pain relief medication tablets , he was give Duloxetine 60mg - This I believe is not the type for his condition and it has very bad reviews , so I advise for him not to take it- though I like to ask if any recommendations on this forum for chronic pain relief I can ask the Doctor for -UK only rec
 
According to my research, one of the major prescribed uses of Duloxetine is to treat chronic pain of the muscles and bones.

Can you tell us why you don't think this is appropriate for him?
 
Although Duloxetene is a type of antidepressant- it does have some evidence for use in chronic pain. I would consider trying it to see if it helps.
 
Spoke to Another GP at practice about that duloxetine medication and he stated that he should not had been prescribed it and better to keep on his current meds also he got a wheelchair assessment tomorrow -it be fun has he cannot bend his right leg or straighten it - anyone been given wheelchair assessment and to give advice
 
There are so many options out there for wheelchairs these days! I don’t know what the rules are for obtaining one through the NHS, so that will be your first thing to check. See if you can arrange a “test drive” with whatever is proposed for him. It will need to something he can safely operate. Some of the motorized ones can be a little tricky, especially if he’s dealing with any cognitive issues. You may want to keep it manually operated instead. Also, wheelchairs can be quite bulky and cumbersome to use indoors in your home. There are smaller, lighter weight transport wheelchairs that might be better. Many are reasonably light and a caregiver can fold them up and put them in the car if needed. The only downside to a transport wheelchair is that the patient sometimes cannot move it easily themselves. This is the reason it would be helpful to try them out first. Find out who is going to be ordering the wheelchair for you and tell them you want to be involved in the selection.
 
Been told OH can have a electric wheelchair through NHS - he got to take a test to see if he can operate it and not get overwhelmed by it Cognition wise - who would had guessed that he end up in a wheelchair after knee replacements- but its the least of his problems
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom