Guest viewing is limited

Knee Replacement with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ready or Not, Just to give you my experience, I did have an MRI but the doctors who I interviewed were only interested in my x-rays. They set the MRI report and CD aside and just looked at my x-rays. I guess like what Josephine says, x-rays give them what they need to make a decision.
Best of Luck!
Pam
 
Things are getting closer. Pre-op Wed. Doctors nurse called surgery upped, I have to be at hospital next Monday at 6 AM instead of 8:30 AM. Watch cartoon video of tkr surgery. Enjoyed if very much.
 
I'm so glad you are calm about your upcoming surgery. You may find a device like this helpful on your toilet:

[Bonesmart.org] Knee Replacement with diabetes
You can order it on Amazon.com. There are other styles of arms for safety without the raised seat. You'll be putting a lot of pressure on those handles you installed. Unless they are bolted into the wall, they are not completely safe and can give way. I'm assuming you've put up the suction cup ones and that's what I'm referring to that are not so good.
 
No toilet is in a cubby hole by it's self. You sit and have wall on both sides of you. Installed real good grab bars that are bolted into wall on each side of wall. They very strong and secure.
 
How about one of those stand things that fit around the toilet? You can hold onto that for support in standing up. I believe social services supply them in this country, so that is what I am expecting to have. There is a picture of what I mean in the info reading pack we all get when we join Bonesmarties. Perhaps your Orthopaedic dept lend them out?
 
Anti-inflamatories and multi-vitamins stopped on Monday. I miss my celebrex and naproxen, I have pre-op this afternoom. I am in a lot of pain, icing both knees. :groan: Hope they don't take me off my tramadol.
 
Doctor reorder celebrex. :yes!:but I am not allowed to have any till after surgery. :no-fin: Boy you don't know how much you need it till you are without it. I can still take my tramadol .
 
I am frustrated got call from hospital :gaah: . Have an abnormal EKG so tomorrow I have to call my doctor (he is not an internist) and see if he can set me up with an internist the same day and have a stress test. :beg: I also have cardiomegaly ( an enlarged heart ). :yikes: They said if I pass my stress test my surgery is good to go on Monday. They have to get information right away. I don't see how I can get this done tomorrow. I am trying to stay positive and not get upset . :scare: I have not eaten anything since 8 Pm in case I have to be fasting.
 
Oh I am so sorry, Ready or Not, what a setback and a panic for you!! I do hope your doctor will come through for you and manage to arrange for this stress test today! If not and your surgery has to be delayed, will it set it back by much? Perhaps your surgeon maybe able to reschedule for a week or two later? Frustrating when you are all hyped up to go forward...but in the long run may be looked back on as a little delay? Far better to be safe than sorry! Is this the first time you, or your doctor have become aware of your enlarged heart? have you had a stress test ever before? Good luck with it all, and hope that you pass the stress test with flying colours!!:ok:
 
Set back. Surgery being postponed until I get clearance from cardiologist. Enlarged heart dates back to 1994. Have appointment for Cardiologist on August 22nd. EKG in July.was ok when I had my colonoscopy. I will reschedule again surgery after I am clear to go. I would want everything done this year.
 
I know it's disappointing for you, but how much better NOT to go into surgery not knowing about this?
 
Of course you do! A big shock to have this postponement at the last minute. Good that you have your cardiologist appt fixed, plenty of time to get the stress test in now. Hopefully you will get the all clear on the 22nd, and then it won't be too long before you can reschedule the surgery again. Good luck!:ok:
 
Thank you Josephine and ditzy. It is better to have all facts up front no surprises. My niece loaned me her (DONJOY ICEMAN) so I can ice my knees. Won't have to use ice packs and I can keep it as long as I need too.
 
That's great Ready, I am glad that you are reconciled to waiting a little longer, and being thoroughly checked out beforehand. I too have just got a cooler for my knees...an Aircast Cryo Cuff from ebay! it came with the knee wrap. Just need to get another knee wrap now, as I am having both knees done. I think getting hold of this has been my biggest priority, icing certainly seems to bring folk the greatest relief, and when you think of all the inflammation surgery will cause, it makes perfect sense...I didn't want to be having to get up frequently to replace ice packs or to be keep asking my long suffering husband to do it for me!!
 
While I am waiting for Cardiology appt. I am going to the dentist. Exam, X-Ray and Cleaning. Doctor didn't say I had to. I have a tooth ache and don't want anything else to lengthen my waiting time. I don't like having to go to dentist, it just makes all my teeth hurt thinking about it. How long after dentist can you schedule knee surgery.
 
Went to dentist today. Had teeth cleaned and had a tooth pulled. Very bad experience :groan: tooth had cavity under the crown and an infection. It really hurt :boohoo: and broke when being taken out. My face and jaw bone is bruised and sore. :yikes: Well I don't have to worry about a tooth problem cancelling my surgery. Now all I have is Cardio clearance, then ready to go. Got to get it all done this year.
 
Have to be on antibiotics for 7 days. ( Clindamycin HCL ) I am sick to my stomach and woozie. Have to be careful that I don't fall. Will have to tell OS about dentist. Josephine How long after dentist do they usually do knee surgery?
 
As it differs from surgeon to surgeon, it's best you ask your surgeon what he prefers.
 
Well I went to cardiologist today. Did another EKG. I have abnormal heart rhythms :scare: extra strokes going down. Also had an ultra sound done. I am schedule to for a stress test without tread mill :eeeuw: on Sept. 5th. Doctor was very nice and knows my OS. Just hope they don't find anything super bad. :scratch: Got to take care of this before surgery. :umm: He gives me the impression that he would do everything to get me ready for a safe surgery. :thumb: They need to be aware of any heart conditions that I may have. Will keep everyone updated to when things get better and I am able to have my knees taken care off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom