Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coachie.....you are still in recovery. Plus you are heading back to a demanding job. It's certainly just fine if you take some pain medication to help you sleep. You need the rest! Icing and elevating when you come home each night is smart too. You must be gentle and forgiving of yourself for a while longer. You've been through a lot since your first surgery and it may require a bit longer for you to feel completely normal again. Hang in there, though....it's coming!
 
Coachie,
I think you are doing great considering everything you have been through. But I can't believe you have to do stairs at school. I thought all schools had to be ADA compliant. Even my son's school that is over 100 years old has an elevator. Will another teacher switch rooms with you so you don't have to do stairs.

Kathleen
 
Coachie, I'm responding to your query about pain management. I'm now 9 weeks out from BTKR and am still taking 15-20 mg of oxycodone every four hours. Until this week, I've been asking them every four hours around the clock. Twice this week, though, I've actually slept for over six hours straight, which feels like a fantastic gift! I

I had been taking the oxycodone for two years prior to my knee surgery for chronic pain in my chest wall, however. This has resulted in a higher tolerance level for the drug, and, possibly, more sensitivity to pain in general (according to pain mgmt doc). I am hoping to reduce the amount of pain meds to at least hat I was taking before knee surgery (5-0 mg every four hours), but I keep finding myself overdoing it and being in a lot of pain.

I would describe my pain as deep aching, but it is an ache that hurts enough to keep me in bed if I overdo it! I've not had sharp, stabbing pains at all since the surgery, but I've had aches that would bring down the best of 'em!

I'm also certain that I have a physical dependency on the narcotic after all this time and I couldn't even dream of going through withdrawal while recovering from the surgery. My chest pain has been worse during recovery, too, because I have had to use my upper body more to get out of chairs, bathtubs, etc.

I don't know where the end of the road is for me when it comes to pain medication. I know that without it, I have a very tough time moving, teaching and breathing because of the pain in my chest. It's hard to differentiate the need for meds for my knee and for my chest. Sigh. I would love to be done with the lot of it!

Teaching, which requires that I talk a lot, and project my voice, really has aggravated my chest in the past, but I can't imagine doing something else for a living.
 
There is a way to overcome the stairs. I've been taking "one step at a time" now for over 2 years. Yup...it's a pain, but it's all I can do. So...I do it! If you can't "climb" stairs, then you need to adjust...even if it's temporary. Sure...it's easier to take the elevator or a ramp, but as long as it's no more than 2 sets of stairs, I'm taking the stairs! I bring my good leg up to the step, and then follow with the bad leg.
Would I like to climb stairs again? Heck yes! However....I'm not able to, so I do what I can. Going down the stairs, it's the same way. I don't care what other people think, or if they look at me funny. I'm doing what I CAN do!
Knee surgery recovery of any kind can take up to a year. It took me a long time to realize that, and once I did, I relaxed and stopped focusing on what I couldn't do....rather, what I COULD do. And...when I relax, I do better!
 
Coachie I can feel the stress and effort it takes to go back to school. There is so much more to it than "stairs." Do take care and listen to your body. Here I am at 5 months and I still feel progress. My whole attitude this time has been to listen to my body. Take it easy. Remember what they have said here about pain and progression. I know there have been times when I have really cut back and then made big progress. It feels so good to get back to some of the routine. I know what you mean about needing to work. Make it simple for now and take it step by step. (Elevators ARE our friends.) Hugs, Ann
 
Coachie,

Tried to catch up with your story going over some of your recent posts. Are you happy with the results of your last surgery?

Re: pain management -- I find that if I'm busy I can deal with a certain level of pain OK, but, like you, night time is a different story. Especially when there's work the next day.

Are you able to take NSAIDs? Anti-inflammatories can help a lot plus the act of calming inflammation aids healing.

Best of luck starting up at school again.
 
I actually started back last Monday. I'm currently going 1/2 days until I see my Orthopedist on Friday. I also started my basketball season on Monday, so I've been pretty busy.

Things are going okay. The kiddos have been very receptive to me being back, and I have jumped right back into the swing of things. I'm pretty tired by the time I get home every day, but have been putting my leg up and icing it. My students and other teachers in the building are very supportive of me and help out as much as possible. The lift in our school is currently broken, so once I am upstairs in my classroom, that's where I stay for the day. I don't want to move my classroom downstairs as I would lose my Smartboard and other pieces of technology that are not able to be moved at this time due to a cut in maintenance staff (which is why the lift is still broken too!)

I wanted to post tonight because of some things I wanted to say. Last Wednesday, I went to school for the morning, went to physical therapy and then had basketball practice. I paid for it both Thursday and Friday as my knee hurt horribly and was incredibly stiff. I realized that I am doing way too much, so made the decision to drop physical therapy. I know that if I continue to go that I will continue to push and push and push and that I could end up sliding backwards.

I am so grateful for this site, as there are things that have been said by many posters and Jo and Jamie about overdoing it and knowing how to slow down- and that is why I made the decision to stop going to pt. So, thank you all for all the help and kind thoughts and words!
 
Coachie,

The way I see it is you got to go for what is right for you. As long as you are not hurting yourself or prohibiting your progress any I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. Just rest relax ice elevate and do your exercises on your own in your own time and things should work out okay.
 
You are your own best therapist! It sounds like you are doing well, if you do not push too hard. Sending good thoughts your way that you will be able to avoid overdoing as you ease your way back into work and your very active life!
 
Coachie....believe me, you are doing all the therapy you need with your work and extra activities. You no longer need formal PT. Good decision!!!
 
I agree, Coachie! You know what to do now...and with all the activity you are doing during the day, it's not like you are "slacking"! Do you remember when I posted "slow and steady wins the race"? I am a firm believer in that now. PT has a goal, and that is to get you going quickly and with vigor. Your body is saying "slow down". Glad you are doing sooo much better! Relax at night and keep on with the progress...no matter how fast, or how slow. (((BIG HUG)))
 
O Coachie, I have a white board too. I LOVE IT!!! I can see why you would not move your room! I voted no for a 3rd round of PT myself when the doctor suggested it. I still have some very slow days but I am so glad I did not do that. Take it easy as you can. Ice during the day as you can, that will help some too. Hugs, Ann
 
Coachie:
All your activities of the day more than compensate for PT!!!Glad to hear you are back at school and doing well.
Sandy
 
Had an appointment with my orthopedist this morning (7 weeks post-op.) He is very pleased with my progress and told me that I am his first patient he has cleared to go back to work full time + some (full day of teaching and then coaching basketball after school) at just 7 weeks! I am pretty proud of that.

I have around 110-115 degrees bend without any force (just simple bending sitting in a chair) and am only lacking a couple of degrees for full extension. I can go up stairs foot over foot, and sometimes can go down that way too. I still have moments of pain and stiffness, but it gets a little better each day.

I'm not saying that my recovery has been easy- as it hasn't, but I'm pushing through and doing what I need to to get stronger each day. I am glad I had this revision surgery and thankful that I had a good doctor too.
 
Coachie, that is GREAT news!!! You must be flying high today!:yahoo:
Just remember when you go back that you may experience some additional stiffness since you will be on your feet most of the day. Don't forget about icing and elevating.
 
Excellent report, Coachie. You deserve to be proud of what you have accomplished already and....more to come!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom