Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a perfect example of letting things "play out":

As you know, I am pursuing legal action against Dr. #1 for putting in the components crooked. It has taken well over a year to get ALL the inforamtion, (and then some!) together. Just went I think there isn't anything else they (the attorney) need, I am being asked for more information. The independent Dr. that is in N.H. that is reviewing the case wanted ALL the xrays taken by Dr. #1 (in Bangor)...not just the ones after the surgery. So....the attorney asked for the xrays and the office said they didn't have them. BS!!!! So...I called to make sure they had been returned from Portland, (which they had...about a year ago!) and were in the Bangor office of "Dr. M". So....I called the attorney back, and he said he'd check into it. Well...that might be ok for some people, but not for me. I called the office MYSELF and demanded to know where the xrays were. After being on hold for over 20 minutes, they FINALLY came back and said they were there. So....over 2 months ago, the attorney sent a letter asking for them to be transferred to a disc and to let them know when it was ready and THEY would pick it up. Well...today, I decided to e-mail the attorney to find out where things stood. They e-mailed back saying that they were waiting to hear from Dr. M's office in Bangor to say the xrays were ready. I was NOT happy!!! 2 months?? !!!!! So...I asked the attorney to please research this TODAY, as it was dragging on, and 2 months was waaaay too long to wait for xrays.
I just got home and there was an e-mail waiting for me with an apology. They found a bill from Dr. M for the xrays to CD transfer and were waiting for payment. The bill is over 45 days old!
I really wish I had followed up a couple of weeks after we asked for the xrays, but I didn't. You can NEVER EVER put your faith into somebody elses hands that they will follow-thru and do what needs to be done in a timely manner. You have GOT to follow-up yourself...constantly.

I think we are all afraid that we are going to "bother" somebody or feel like we are being "pushy" and impatient. Well...BE THAT PERSON when it comes to your health and information about. I'm now almost 2 months behind where I should be with this pending lawsuit, and it makes me angry to think that I...and I do mean ME....dropped the ball in following up on progress.
 
Oh that's some battle, Audrey! But I am in total agreement with you - the only way to get some of these things done is to DIY - do it yourself!
 
Wow, Audrey. That is frustrating!

Got some news today that the CT Scan actually showed that the replacement part on my knee cap did not adhere and that it is acting kind of like a springboard every time I stand up or put any force on it- which is what causes the pain.

So I have a lot of decisions to make in the next day or so. Will be spending a lot of time in prayer and with my Bible.

For those who pray, please remember me in your prayers in the thought that I can make the right decision and that things will work out. Thank you!
 
So one of the good things I have been thinking about is that I have dealt with having a loose component on a handful of Tylenol every day (and a lot of complaining!!!) so hopefully that means that once I get details worked out, that I shouldn't have a problem with post-op pain. See? There's a positive in everything! :)
 
I will be praying for you...I am glad that something did show up on the CT scan. You do sound better in your last note. Did they say anything about something stronger for pain? I know you have been dealing with this with Tylenol, but it has been a difficult road.
Take care.
Greda
 
I will be praying for you, too. I hope that you can come to a decision quickly and easily. (((Hugs))))
 
Coachie,

I will definitely put you on my prayer list! Audrey made some excellent points about standing up for yourself though! You are your own best advocate!

Things have not always been easy for me, but I have never given up! I just keep going and trying to strengthen the inner muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and pray that one day soon that the kneecap will stop popping out!:biggrin:

I have found the best specialists, the best PT, the best massage therapist, and have had the support of friends and family to keep me motivated!

The biggest part has been that I have wanted to do this for Me! I want to live a life free of pain. I had to give up teaching, but I have no regrets.

Check into a short term policy and see if you could go on FMLA. Your health is more important than any job. I learned that the hard way! Please take care of yourself. We care about you!:friends:
 
Got some news today that the CT Scan actually showed that the replacement part on my knee cap did not adhere and that it is acting kind of like a springboard every time I stand up or put any force on it- which is what causes the pain.
Oh my goodness - that's little more than bad technique and even worse that they didn't check that out at the beginning. As I recall I think I said something about a loosening right at the start.

Only one answer for this, Coachie, I'm afraid, and that's to have the button re-cemented in place. I know you feel your surgeons are good doctors but this is a case for a revision surgeon. I wouldn't want the original one to touch it again if it was me.
 
Hi Coachie! I totally agree with Jo....you have no choice but to get a revision. Now...you have to find the BEST one who has done these before. darn those non-cemented knees. For all of us who have been through this type of pain, it really did seem "obvious" that something was loose. I will pray that you will make the decision to have this revised and that you find the right surgeon to do it. I don't know how many Dr. W has done, but that is DEFINETLY something to ask. Now that you have the diagnosis, it doesn't matter how old or young you are.....a refereral for diagnosed problem that requires a revison WILL get you into OA.
I will tell you...the best time for a revision is now....not in the later part of the year when it is getting colder. Try to have this done in Sept. or October at the latest!
The only thing you have to think about is (1) - do I live with it being loose and stay in pain or (2) get a revision. I think the choice is obvious.
 
I have decided to go with the surgery. I will not be having my original orthopedic as he has stated that he is not comfortable with doing revisions, nor is he qualified to do so.
Dr. W told me he does 75-100 revisions a year and I was doing the math in my head last night and considering he only does surgery 2x a week, that is pretty good. My nephew is an x-ray technologist and said that he has met several people who have flown from California or other states just to have Dr. W perform their revision. He has spoken at several Orthopedic conferences about revisions and options for patients. Orthopedics who do 500 revisions a year must be doing surgery pretty much every minute of every day, so when do they see their patients? There are only 260 working days in a year (not counting weekends) and then take out holidays and vacations, that makes like 240 days or so... (I'm definitely a math teacher- always doing math!)
Jo- I wish my Dr's had agreed with you in the beginning! I remember when you told me you thought it was loose and I tried and tried to get a Dr to agree.
But, at this point I need to look forward and get this done and then I can deal with all the anger and negativity from this past year.
 
Coachie,
It sounds like you are coming up with a plan. My revision on 6/21 was because the part on my femur was loose. I could tell a difference almost right away. Plus for me anyway the recovery has been quicker...I know everyone is different but you deserve some kind of break. So I will be praying for a successful surgery and quick recovery.
Greda
 
Half the battle is finding the right surgeon that you are comfortable with. I checked with my PT lady and she has a lot of confidence in Dr. W...however, you are the one who has to be 100% sure. There isn't any "going back" at this point.
It would be a good question to ask how many of "these types" of revisions Dr. W has done. There are a lot of questions to ask him before the surgery to be sure you completely understand what he has to do in order to get your femur bone "cut at the correct angle". Also, is your kneecap going to be set "where it's supposed to be normally", or will he need to set it a bit lower? As you know, my kneecap had to be set lower than "normal" in order for all the other components to fit correctly and for my knee to move....all because more bone had to be removed to make the new implants align correctly.
I'm not trying to be a "Debbie Downer"...I'm just making sure that you ask, ask and ASK because now is the time to do so...not afterwards! Apparently, this is more than just a kneecap revision, as the femur is also involved. I'll be interested to know exactly what he is going to do....and WHY!
 
Coachie.....did I miss something? I thought the surgery to be performed was just to recement the patellar button. What is the surgeon proposing to do to the femur?
 
He mentioned that my femur could be set at the incorrect angle and that he might have to set it- but might not.
I didn't fully understand what he was saying, but he said he would explain it all to me when I go and see him as well as answer the 1043 questions that I have.
Thank you all for your support this past 5 months or so. It's been a long haul and I am really hoping that this can turn into a positive.
 
Me too, hon.....me too! I'm happy to see you at this point as it does appear that you are finally going to get things fixed.
 
Coachie,

I'm so glad that Mr Walsh has found out what is wrong with you and there is a plan for fixing it. Wow! :thumb:

When do you next see him to find out more?

If it is just cementing the button is that a much smaller op than a revision, with a quicker recovery?
 
My surgery is set for Sept 27th. Dr. W wanted it earlier, but it couldn't work out that way. Because I am on Cymbalta right now and since that interferes with the only pain medications I have been able to take, my family Dr wants to wean me slowly off the Cymbalta before I have surgery so I will be able to take pain medications after my surgery. The weaning will take about 3 weeks- and this will help me to not feel sick and tired like I would if I just stopped taking it. Then I asked if we could avoid the first couple of weeks of school since I would really like to be there as I missed it last year due to my MUA, so the 27th it is.
It works out good for me overall because then I can still coach most of the soccer season (I'll only miss 2 1/2 weeks of the regular season) and will be close to ready come basketball season!
I will be talking with Dr. W in two weeks about more details.
 
Coachie,

I am so excited for you! Getting your knee fixed will help you out so much! :biggrin:

Hopefully, it won't take long for you to get back on your feet and out of pain!:yes 4:


 
Yay! I'm glad you have a date! That's wonderful! Where is the surgery going to be? EMMC or St. Joes? Get your questions ready for your next "date" with Dr. W! Asking about recovery time is a good place to start. Can they do the patella revision as out-patient? I'm sure you will find out more info. at the next appt. Ask, ask, ASK those questions!!!
 
Coachie - I am so very happy for you! I know how it feels to have the problem identified at last, and to have a surgery date to get that knee fixed! I will be thinking of you as the date gets closer. I have been so nervous and dreading my own revision in the past few weeks - UGH. But now that it is only 3 days away, I am suddenly calm and focused on just moving forward (thank goodness - I much prefer the calmness LOL). Anyway, make that list of questions for the doc - I had a ton of questions for my doc, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom