Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR KNEE, KNEE, HOORAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that if you don't have a bunch of bruising by now, you may not get a whole lot. I bruised badly on the back/side of my thigh and knee. Sort of medium on my kneecap plus the area where I am sure I was bashed with a mallet on my shin! Now the bruises have migrated down the leg and have the lovely green/yellow hue. And itching!! I never knew a bruise could itch so. Pain front of knee, itching like crazy on the back. Ice everywhere!
Right now it is 9:30pm Wed nite. By my drug addled brain you must be 17 (?) hrs ahead of here....don't hold me to that calculation. :scratch: Maybe someone who can still do basic math will chime in. I am in Pacific Time Zone.
We are headed into summer, hot hot miserable summer. At least in my new little apartment I have air conditioning and can actually afford to run it. Doesn't take much to cool 645 sq feet and I am on the 1st floor. And there is a pool here, which I cannot wait to use!
I am hoping to go to the lab in the morning for my blood test, I was not signed up for home nursing so I have to go to them. I am about 50/50 that my ex husb will take me, he has to be out and about early and he said he would call me in the morning. So time for my last pain pill and glass of milk and hopefully dreamland.

Have a wonderful afternoon and evening! hugs to you and chat soon! :friends:
 
Shelly, good luck with tomorrow I will be thinking of you, hope your bloods come back with nothing to show or maybe just something simple and easily fixed.
Your apartment sound lovely and what a bonus to have a pool, I guess it will get lots of use soon.
Sleep tight,:sleep: hope your milk chaser goes down well.:loll:
I will talk tomorrow once home.
Hugs to you
Lee:friends:
 
I'm interested on how you got home, and what equipment they gave you,
Hello Lee! WOW...I miss a day on Bonesmart and so much has gone on for you!! Thank goodness you got some decent medication to keep your pain under control. It's so amazing how having your pain under control can just lift your spirits and make all seem well in the world. I sure hope you are home by now!! I got home in our family van. It was so nice to be home!!! And how wonderful for you to get your staples out before you leave the hospital! Because I was home on post-op day 4 my staples were still in...and I sure didn't like them...so pokey at times. The hospital gave me a walker to take home, a "grabber" stick for picking up things (which I never used in the early days, but just used yesterday to retrieve a cord that fell behind a desk :heehee:), and both of my ice machines. I DID use those ice machines for the first few days at home and they were so wonderful. You are far enough along that you might find it easier to use a frozen bag of peas. I found it was great physical therapy to walk to the freezer to get my peas...sit for awhile with them...then walk them back to the freezer. And Shellebelle...YES...I think your dizzy problems were due to Percocet!! If you alternate taking the Tramadol and Percocet...then you are only taking the Percocet every 8 hours. Just a warning...Percocet and Tramadol each can cause constipation. So taken together, they can be VERY constipating! :yikes: By three weeks post op I stopped taking the Percocet and just took Tramadol every 6 hours...and three hours after taking the Tramadol would take 600mg Motrin (Ibuprofen)...so I was alternating the two of them every 3 hours...but not through the night. I would keep a Tramadol by the bed and take it as needed. Within a few weeks I was able to do what I do now...take a Tramadol every 8 hours, and maybe 400 mg of Motrin as needed in between. I don't need to take anything during the middle of the night. Lee, can't wait to hear how you're doing at home!! Take care!! Pam
 
Pam....I have been doing alternating doses of Tramadol and Percocet now for a full 18 hrs and already feel much better. Still was a bit yucky this morning in the kitchen waiting for coffee and my piece of toast but not nearly as bad as yesterday. Progress there. As soon as I can stop the Lovanex injections I can start ibuprofen and doing the Bonesmart cocktail. Ibu has always worked well for me. And Colace is working...or trying to work at any rate. When the Great Wall of Poop is being built in your colon it is definitely a chore keeping ahead of it! :snork:

:flwrysmile:
 
When the Great Wall of Poop is being built in your colon it is definitely a chore keeping ahead of it! :snork:
HAHAHA Shellbelle...you are so funny!:goodpost:You are right too!! It was one of the reasons why I wanted to eventually get off the Percocet. Also...I wanted to drive! At 3 1/2 weeks my car needed moving over to the other side of the garage. I decided if I could actually get in the car...I was going to move it! I moved the seat back all the way, and was able to get in the car. It was a big YAHOO moment. :egypdance: I felt fine backing my car out of the garage, and moving it forward again. By 4 weeks I just didn't want to take the Percocet anymore...it was a choice between the pain control it provides vs the side effects that I didn't want to experience anymore (besides constipation, I was tired of mild nausea, and how Percocet actually gave me insomnia!).
 
Hi everyone:friends: , just popped on the say I made it home, long day and very tiring, had a little sleep this afternoon on the lounge.
Hubby cooked a lovely meal and I had my pain meds, and now thinking of bed so won't be long away.
It's great to be home I didn't sleep that well last night in Hospital:zzz:

so glad Shelly that you now have your pain meds under control, I'm sure the yukky feeling will be gone soon.
Take care all
I will talk again tomorrow
Lee:puppysmooze:
 
Glad to see you home Lee I hope you get a good night sleep tonight and let that hubby spoil you :happydance:
 
Hello Lee! So glad you are home!! It's a HUGE effort to get home and settled...but I'm sure you'll be so glad to be home. You'll start to settle into a routine...rest/elevation/ice...exercises...shower...nap(s)...eating. And just when you start to get into a rhythm you'll find you are getting better so maybe you don't need one of those naps...and maybe you'll get up just to take a walk around the house...or get your own snack. You'll see...you'll have progress. Sometimes you don't see it daily, but when you look back to a few days before, you'll be saying..."Wow, look what I can do now!" :egypdance:
 
Hi Shelly, hoping you are feeling alot better today, and have had some good sleep.:sleep: My sleeping patterns are still not good as I wake with leg aches, I think it's mainly by muscles. I'm getting around the house really well, and just using my crutches, I have a small seat in the shower and can exit without help or crutches.
Every now and then I do get a few twinges of pain and clicking feeling in my knees, but I guess its just the healing process.:yikes:
Mothers Day here today and my husband is cooking a roast lamb lunch, my eldest son is also visiting for lunch, my youngest son is now in heaven, he would be looking down on his old mum..:angel:

Take care, talk soon
Hugs from Lee:friends:
 
Hello Pamx2, yes it's great to be home, nothing like your own surroundings, I'm managing rather well, but alittle tired, did overdo it yesterday, but had lots of icing last night.
Yes I guess everyday I will notice little improvements, at the moment I have lots of muscle tightness, but have been getting lots of rubs from Hubby:groan:
How are you doing at nearly 3 mths out?
Take care
Lee
 
Happy Mother's Day Lee I hope you enjoyed that lamb roast yummo! Rest up! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Welcome home and Happy Belated Mother's Day!!
You sound like you are doing just grand!! I send a big congrats on that shower you took!! I still have to have someone here with me because of the blood pressure or whatever is going on. But at least today I got in AND out by myself and also managed to mow my legs! Had to sit a while on the shower seat with the towel wrapped around me while the head spun around, but the walker handles have been handy for putting my head on when I need to!
Be careful not to do too much in your zest and enthusiasm for being home! Have a wonderful Monday.78/

Hugs and love to you :friends:
 
Hi Lee, so good to see you progressing so well. Glad you had a nice Mothers Day. I am certain your departed son is with you, helping you along. Big hugs to you from a miserable Brisbane. :friends:
 
Many thanks all for the good wishes:friends: , my Mother's Day was sometimes sad:angel: , but good, lamb roast was exceptional.:thumb: Still going along nicely, with some pain occassionally, mainly in my shins and calf muscles, I am taking Targin (slow release) every 8 hrs and Panadol Oesto 4hourly + Celebrex 100mg x2, sometimes it's not quite enough but can't tolerate the others.
Hugs to all
L:flwrysmile:
 
Hello Lee! So glad you are doing well. I'm doing fine here at almost 3 months. I would say 75% of the time I am amazed at how well I'm coming along...and 25% of the time I can't believe this recovery is taking so long! Still have stiffness...still can over do it...but can do quite a lot these days. I had physical therapy today for two hours...and had a great workout. Did all kind of exercises...and I even ride the stationary bike for 15 minutes pedaling forward at a slow pace. After I grocery shopped for an hour or so. Got home, had lunch, then naptime for a few hours...an absolute necessity still which is fine. Was able to walk my dogs with my daughter this evening for about 15 minutes, and my neighbor commented how I seem to walk normally now! So progress comes slowly but surely. Don't overdo it...enjoy resting and relaxing!! Take care...Pam
 
Hi Pam, well done:dancy: you are doing so well, I will be estatic if I am doing all things you do at 3 mths.
I'm happy with my progresss and it's only 2 weeks tomorrow which is my Birthday.
My darling husband has just left me, to go and do some shopping, but all is good, I can now get up off the lounge (which has been risen to a height which is manageable for me), and Scott is taking back the frame as I don't need it any more, which is great, I just get around with my crutches, and even can walk without them, but I still won't go far from a bench top just in case.
How long have you been using the bike? just interested as I have mine set up on a fixed wheel just waiting....:bicycle1:

Take care
Bye for now Lee
 
Hello Lee! With the time change between the Philadelphia area in the U.S. and you in Australia....maybe it's your birthday now?? So HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :cheers: I hope you really have a great day! Of course, it's already great because you have those new knees...yay!! You'll think back on your next birthday when you are perfectly fine and be shocked out how far you've come. Sounds like you are already progressing nicely! I was doing the same thing as you. I was supposed to be using a cane...and I did for the most part...but I would leave the cane hanging from a chair and walk around the kitchen just holding on to chairs or the counter just fine. But sometimes I would head back to my recliner chair and realize that ooops...left the cane in the kitchen and I did quite a bit of walking without holding on to anything! :heehee: I think I started to use the bike at physical therapy around 4 weeks. I would "ride" it for about 10 minutes first thing to warm up. I really didn't ride it...I would move the pedals one inch forward...one inch backwards. That's all I could do. I thought I could jump on that bike and just start riding it like a normal person. Now at 11 weeks I get on the bike...and it takes a few minutes of pedaling half a rotation forward...then backwards...just to stretch the knees out a bit. Then pretty soon I can make it all the way around in a full rotation. It's quite exciting!! I pedal slowly...I'm not aiming for cardio...just to get a nice stretch with the knees. So don't go jumping on your bike too soon. Rest, elevate, ice...and enjoy some birthday cake!! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lee..nice to hear you are home and beginning to manage a little better. It is early days and you sees till lots of rest so your legs can heal...time and patience mixed with your exercise routine as you progress will see it all come together for you. :egypdance:

Nice to her about husbands who are doing the cooking...it was a real first for my husband and he also cooked a lamb roast which was lovely...I'm sure you enjoyed yours too :yay: . I think my husband surprised himself...but he said it wasn't a occupation he was the least bit comfortable in and he was very relieved when the kitchen became my domain again. However I now know he has hidden talent which every now and then when I over do things he is called upon to use. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Seems like Tassie is copping a blast of Antarctic air...keep warm, keep smiling...life is getting better each day.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Gami
Many thanks for the encouragement:friends: , Yes our Hubby's are a godsend, I'm lucky mine is a good cook, although cleaning up after cooking..... hmm:mcoffee:

Yes we are in for some cold weather, the black cockatoo's have been flying around for a few days now, it's a good sign bad weather is on it's way.
Hugs to you
Lee:console2:
 
Happy Birthday Lee!! I hope you have a great day and your hubby spoils you today! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom