• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral TKR KNEE, KNEE, HOORAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lee, well, surgery is done, and I pray that everything went well. Now comes the fun part-but you'll do great. Take it slow and easy and let us hear from you when you can.:dancy: :happydance: :yay:

Hi All:friends: , it's one week today...I'm still in hospital, but doing well, can get myself to the toilet now, although I do feel a little nervous about it. Having trouble with pain meds just can't seem to get a good one, Enderol, tramadol just don't like me, just manage with Panadol, but at times just not enough, Nursing staff talking with OS today.
My only problem is get up from the sitting position, pain wise, not good.:hairpulling:
Walking really well with big walker, going down to smaller one today, then crutches bit unsure about that:gaah: I guess if I don't feel easy I will stay in hospital, there's no rush can't go on holiday:dancy:

Bye for now
L:puppysmooze:

Hello Lee! So wonderful to hear from you!! :happydance: Congrats to your knee baby knees...one week old already!! So sorry that you're having trouble with pain meds. Hope you find something that helps ASAP....and then take it religiously! Yes, getting to that standing position...and back to sitting can be tough at first. But it gets better! Slow and steady...don't overdo it. And remember...you and those knees are in charge! So if you're not ready to shift from the walker to crutches (I never used crutches...used a cane)...then shift only when YOU feel comfortable. One and done girl...you did it!! :cheers:

hello Pamx2:thankyou: , thank you for your post.
I just had the PT here and she was trying to get me to move onto the small frame, but I just found it too hard, I did manage to get onto it but was a struggle (I'm also just taking Panadol at the moment so pain was quite severe). I think they now want me to go to the Rehab section of the hospital, I don't know if I am keen about this, as my OS does not agree with physio at this stage, I now feel deflated,:sad: I know it's early days, and our home is set up for me, so not sure how I should be thinking.

How did you manage?:hairpulling:
L:friends:

Hello Lee....Oh, you poor thing! I looked up Panadol...and found out you are only taking acetamenophen. Here in the U.S. that's known as Tylenol. No wonder you are in severe pain!!! :boohoo: For my first few weeks I was taking Tramadol...then four hours later Percocet...then 4 hours later Tramadol...ect. And I took that around the clock...even during the night. I wouldn't be 100% pain free, but I was comfortable...a 1 or 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 for pain. By the end of week 3 I was able to drop the Percocet and just take the Tramadol every 6 hours with Ibuprofen thrown in once in a while. I now take the Tramadol every 8 hours, and take a couple of Motrin in between, especially before or after PT. What I'm trying to say is that I was on much stronger meds right out. So see if your OS can figure out what you can take besides just Panadol, because you really need something stronger, especially since you are in severe pain! That is just not right!!! Also, I was supposed to go to a Rehab facility, but they closed admissions the day before I was supposed to go because they had a Norovirus outbreak. This nasty virus causes vomiting & diarrhea. No thanks!! So I actually went home late in the afternoon on Day 4 post-op. Thank goodness I had everything ready for my homecoming before I left for surgery. If you decide to go home, you'll need someone to help watch you during the day/night. I can remember only needing some help for the first few nights getting up to use the bathroom so my husband or daughter would sleep on the couch to watch out for me. After a few nights I could get up and lay down on my own, so I sent everyone off to sleep in their own beds. I needed family to make me meals for the first week or so, but then I started heading into the kitchen with my walker and getting things myself. I wrote down when I took meds so I wouldn't forget, and I followed Bonesmart's advice of what I should be doing those first few weeks...basically lots of rest, elevation, ice, and pain meds. And I did just fine!!!:egypdance: Looking back, I'm glad I went home early. It took 5 days or so for home PT to get started, and it was nice to have that break. Your OS is so right...physio is not your top priority at this early stage of the game. I've been really bad about saying NO if physio is too painful, and every time I let the physio go a little crazy my knees get very upset! I'm learning to take things slow and steady. Bend through the stretch, and when you start to feel pain ease up. You'll stretch farther and farther soon enough, but progress is SLOW. And that's normal! I know this is just a ton of information...so sorry to ramble. Wish I could be there to give you a hug and tell you to cheer up!!!:flwrysmile:

Hi Lee I wrote a few things about Rehab for you on my thread so won't repeat myself there.

You need to get on something more than panadol that's for headaches! Gosh I'm not sure exactly what I am taking but will get the nurse to write it down for me next time I see her. What I know I'm taking is 200g Celebrex morning and night. I take one Nexium which helps to settle your stomach early in the morning. Panadol Osteo 2 tablets 3 times a day (slow release). I am also 300g of a nerve pain tablet at night. I am then on another slow release pain tablet which I will find out the name and I take that twice a day. And then if I need anything in between I can take the endone or another new tablet that isn't as strong.

You also want to set an alarm and make sure you take them at night if you need them. I've found I don't need to do that now. I have never been in any pain it's always been managed. If they make you feel sick you can try something for nausea.

You will find it a lot easier if you can get the pain managed.

All the best Lee! :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Hi Kathy
Many thanks for that, I spoken with my surgeon this morning and he has put me on a slow release pain killer twice a day that now is working well, + 2 Panadol every 4 hrs, I also take Celebrex but only 100mg once a day, + Nexium, I'm alot better this afternoon:happydance: , even did toilet and shower by myself:yay: , but still on the big frame, just can't manage the smaller one yet!! I suppose it will take time.....just wish I would have had a good leg, would make it so much easier.
Hope your progressing well:puppysmooze: , many thanks for your help, so much appreciated.:thankyou:
L:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Hello Pamx2
Thank you so much for your help:thankyou: , I was on a good percentage of those Meds just after surgery but they made me so sick and I just couldn't stay awake, my surgeon ordered the Panadol every 4 hours and also the other horrible meds, so now I taking a slow release pain med and it has just started to kick in this afternoon, I'm actually feeling good, as I said to Kathy I went to the toilet and also showered myself, but I am worn out now:sleep:
I'm interested on how you got home, and what equipment they gave you, I'm just thinking now that maybe I could order a Private Ambo and hirer the taller frame, just until I can get a bit ahead:dancy: I'm just a bit behind the eight ball because I had a scopy last October, I will have my husband to help at home and our home is nearly wheelchair friendly so I will be able to scoot around on the walker. I'm just so looking forward to getting out in the sunshine:SUNsmile: and seeing my (Spoodle) Mollie:puppysmooze:.

Take care and will talk soon
L:flwrysmile:

Hi Lee, just found your recovery thread! You did it and are now on the road to recovering!
I honestly cannot imagine having both knees done at the same time, so kudos to you and everyone who does that! :thumb: I am also glad you are getting some pain control added into the mix. It is so very important and pain just wipes us out, makes even the most optimistic and sunny people just wilt and come apart at the seams.

Pam--I just saw my OS today, and we are going to try to go to the percocet/tramadol/percocet combo you described. The percocet is working great, but i am having a bit of a problem with dizziness and getting all sweaty and feeling yucky when I stand for more than a few minutes. It is happening even on the toilet--I use my walker arm to rest my head on. Maybe that will help some.

Lee, be sure to follow Pam's advice and have a little notebook with a pen that you can make note of every dose of medication you take! I would forget 5 minutes later, and a couple of times if it had not been for someone being here that I could ask, I honestly did not know if I did or didn't take something!

Hang in there, and I am sending love and hugs to you and your knees! :friends:

Shelly hi:flwrysmile: , how are you going? I'm just starting to feel a bit more normal again this afternoon:happydance: , thank goodness, it's a trial and error thing I think. Yes I have felt tons of time like wilting, I just need a few hugs as we all do.

love & hugs too you too

Hi Lee!! Is is 11pm here, so just getting settled in my recliner (God Bless my Recliner) for the night. Will take a pain pill in about a 1/2 hour and that should do me until my middle of the night bladder wake up call! :heehee:
I usually fall asleep to a mindless tv show then change it to a soft music channel for the rest of the night. I don't have anybody else here to worry about disturbing with the tv, lights etc. But that means nobody here to get me a glass of milk in the middle of the night either! Life is a trade-off.

Once I get to the bottom of my dizziness and sweats and generally feeling like YUCK every time I stand up for more than 2 minutes will be so great. It just started day before yesterday, there have been no medication changes so getting my blood drawn tomorrow to check my iron levels. Apparently my hemoglobin dropped from mid 13 to 9 after surgery and doc thinks that may be a contributing factor. We shall see.

Hang in there my friend, every day will be different but I hope you conquer the pain/nausea cycle soon. It makes such a big difference!

:puppysmooze: :friends:

I felt a bit funny/giddy last night before going to bed I thought maybe they had given me an extra pain killer but checked this morning and they hadn't just had the same I had every night. I just popped myself in bed and didn't wake up to 5 am which is very good for me. Felt a bit giggy and nausea until lunchtime just about normal tonight. So maybe just taking all these meds do your head in sometimes! I know I feel like I'm rattling with pills! I usually feel nausea in the mornings I take my nexium and a cracker early in the morning to try to help settle the something before taking all the other pills with breakfast. Good luck with it Lee and I'm glad your doctor has given you some more meds. You should try the panadol osteo it is a slow release as well.

Hi Girls:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: , so sorry you both feel dizzy, maybe we have some little gremlin luking in our shiny new knees, I hope he settles down soon.:yikes: I hope they find out what's causing it with your blood tests.
Shelly do you find sleeping in your recliner better than the bed? I sometimes wish I had one, would make it a whole lot easier to get onto my feet.

How do you both measure your improvement is it week by week or.......:what:

Kathy I to take Panadol osteo at home but they only have the panadol here, but will certainly be back on mine soon.

7:00pm here Shelly on Wednesday.

Sleep tight

Good Morning Lee,
So happy you have your pain under control :) it really makes a differance.
Continued success on your recovery.

Shelly,
I believe it is the percocet that is making you dizzy & sweaty. My whole head gets hot & I have to
lay down from the dizzies. Best of luck to you with your recovery ! :SUNsmile:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:

Hi Lee...good to hear your pain has settled just wanted to share I couldn't handled anything much stronger than Panadol after my RTKR. In hospital which was only a couple of days I had a line into the wound which was pumping in a local like (lignocaine) and a Norspatch which came off after 5days. When I came home they gave me Panadeine Forte to take for 5days then it was just Panadol Osteo.

It worked well for a while then I changed to the Bonesmart cocktail which for me was 2 x panadol 4times a day (every 4 hours) and 2 x Ibruprofen (not Nurofen) 3times a day (every 6 hours). I kept a strict schedule of when to take what and marked it off a little chart....iced, elevated and it worked. :ok: For me sleep was an issue and it took quite while before I was able to sleep right through...frustrating, tiring, but it came good after a few weeks.

Please don't get too hung up on numbers, you WILL progress as your body heals...it takes time and patience, it's good to have something that occupies your mind, knitting seems to be a popular thing to do. Whatever you choose it doesn't matter just helps to pass time. Early days yet but you will get to a place where you think, hey I couldn't do that last week...and you'll smile. :egypdance:

One of the best things to do for yourself is come and chat to your friends here....it always helps. :spin:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much Gami,:thankyou: that's what I love about this website so much help and friendly people:friends: , I'm so glad I found it.
I go home tomorrow:thumb: , so glad, just can't wait to get fresh air and sun, my OS is very happy with me and my progress and that's what matters to me the most.

Take care
Lee:puppysmooze:

Hi Lee, I hope you are having a good sleep, or a least are relative pain-free if you are not sleeping well! We are working on getting my dizziness and yucky feeling under control. So far, BP is ok. Occupational Health was here this morning for more than an hour, and at one point I felt YUCKY, so she sat me down and took the BP. It was fine. I begain doing alternating doses of Percocet with Tramadol one time yesterday, and today with with every dose. Tomorrow should start to show some improvement. I believe it is the Percocet myself, as I was taking it every 3-4 hours.
I know I am sleeping better in my recliner right now than in my bed. I can elevate my leg, keep ice on it plus put the back in various positions so my back does not ache and talk back to me as it did the one night I tried sleeping in the bed. I just nap in the bed while on the CPM machine. That is heavenly and I don't know when I will transition back to the bed. I am sure it will just happen! Like everything else
Physical Therapy was here this afternoon and we were doing my exercises, the one thing I absolutely have not been able to do is raising my leg even with a towel under my knee. Today I could raise it about 2 inches!!! AND let it back down! That is how I measure progress. The little things I can do, the days I feel well. I don't take a shower every day because the energy still is tremendous for me, so when I feel like I can shower every day without needing to recover for a full day, that will be progress! :yay:
Gami, thank for your kind words. :SUNsmile:

Hugs from California!! :friends:

Hi Shelley, I hope you are able to get that horrible feeling under control soon, I just hated feeling like that.
I didn't have the best nights sleep, my right knee and shin pained most of the early hours, called for some relief and put on the ice machine and went back to sleep, it's amazing how pain keeps you awake.

I'm going home tomorrow so I'm hoping thing will just improve each day or days.:yay:
Yes showering does takes it's toll, I have been able to shower myself for a few days now which has been great, but totally exausted by the end of it and just fall back into bed.

You take care and take it slow, you will feel so much better when those feelings have gone.:happydance:

Hugs to you from rainy Hobart:flwrysmile:

Hi Lee!
I am so happy you will be going home!:yay: There are challenges but just being home was so nice. Especially having my cat with me. And I know your pup will be so happy to see you!
I remember when my shin started to hurt, it was about 7-8 days post op. It hurt there as much as my knee did to stand up. And a big big bruise blossomed, was so tender it hurt to set a baby ice pack on it! I swear the doc missed with one of his hammers or mallets and just bashed it in. I forgot to ask him about that! At his point in time at 12 day post op, just yellow/green bruising and barely tender. It did give me some grief though!
All in all today was a good day. Had good visits with both OT and PT, took a short walk outside with PT and only one yucky feeling happened. :happydance: I managed to unload and then reload the dishwasher and change laundry from washer to the dryer. AND I even microwaved a dinner.

Hugs, and have a wonderful day...once you get home! That will exhaust you and a nap will be in order. :SUNsmile:

Well done Shelly, you go girl..... :) so good you are feeling a little more human, What is your time in California at the moment it's 2:00pm on Thursday here, looks like a drab day think it has been raining and it's cold, winter will be soon here, snow, ice, wind and rain, yuck:sleep: think I might turn into a bear and hibernate then maybe my knees will be as good as gold, dreaming I think..
I don't have any bruising that I can see maybe it's still coming, my scars look good, my staples come out tomorrow before I go home.

Talk soon
Hugs:console2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks