Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

OMG, what a day you have had! I sure hope tomorrow is better and that they get your pain under control!
 
You've had quite the day. I'm so sorry your hurting. Its disappointing your medication is late. I think the saying over worked and under paid probably applies to these nurses. Do not hesitate to ask a 2nd time for your medication - sometimes the squeaky wheel gets her medication!!!

Tomorrow's a new day and hopefully it will go much smoother than today. Have you asked if / when your surgeon makes rounds?
 
Hi ... I've just been reading your story, sorry you've had so many problems to deal with. I hope this is going to work for you, it's always the 'waiting to see' that gets me. Hopefully this is op is going to help and you will be on the second stage before you know it.
lol Don't worry about venting, its all part of dealing with the things we need to do in order to survive these setbacks. I totally understand...
 
So far today I've had a good day! We got my meds worked out, what a huge difference. Qualified staff is working today also. Dr says my white blood cells are falling, so the antibiotics are doing their job. Tomorrow they make decisions about home care vs rehab. Occupational therapy has released me, PT has not assessed me.

Anyone know how the assessment is made ?
 
@Starsfan22 PT assessment probably is pretty much like when you had the original surgery - can you walk with walker or crutches? Get to the bathroom on your own? Manage getting in and out of bed OK? Maybe doing a short flight of stairs? It should not be too difficult.
 
Interesting, how will I do stairs with 50% weight bearing on operated leg? Guess I'll figure it out
 
I'm home and so happy to be here. Home infusion with PT and home health was a nightmare to set up. Home health nurse was here today and was helpful with antibiotics infusions. I'm doing it all myself. It's not hard. Knee hurts but should be better with my huge knee brace sitting in corner of room. It rubbed all the wrong places and slipped around unless I tightened it to where it was painful. Only being able to put 50% weight on one knee is doable, I'll get use to it. My hubby is helping a lot, since I can't do much for myself currently. Wondering how long that will last. Physical therapy and occupational therapy tomorrow. At least I'm busy!
 
Home sweet home!

Some of our members put some kind of padding inside the brace to help take up space so it won’t slip. I think @sistersinhim did something like that.
 
My skin is very sensitive and things can greatly anger it. I found that foam rubber inside the brace was a huge help. You might want to try that or something similar. I hope you find something that helps.
 
I've dumped the brace. OS said as long as I feel stable without it, go for it. I'm settling into a routine and trying to get pain med timing worked out. Showering while keeping knee and picc line dry and maneuvering a 50% weight bearing knee is a challenge. Any tricks would be appreciated.
 
Do you have a shower chair / bench? That would be very helpful to you. Also a hand held spray would be great for you. Both of those are relatively easy fixes to help your shower routine.

I'm a 2 day shower person (morning and night) and it just wasn't worth the effort to do that while in recovery. I learned very quickly one shower a day is enough, and believe it or not, the world wouldn't stop if I missed a shower!

Only do whatever your comfortable with doing. It is tricky for sure.
 
Hi starsfan. I am in exactly the same boat as you. 14 weeks post op TKR on left knee. Still using a crutch. As soon as I do loosening exercises my knee goes real tight and I can’t do much. I cant walk for more than 5 minutes and now use a stool when I’m cooking. I cant help but wonder if something is wrong?? The inside of my knee feels ok. It is the outside which is swollen ,still warm, and to the left side of my kneecap is sore. Looks bruised if I touch it. It’s really getting me down now. I have 95/100 flexation but still can’t walk more than 30/40 steps. I’ll keep an eye on your thread. Good luck.
 
I think the fact that our doctors release us so quickly sets up in our head that we should be 'better'. That is so untrue. They release us when the primary healing is going well and we are past most of the common complications. There isn't anything they can do to make our legs heal faster.
My spouse was supportive the first few weeks but he believes I should work through the pain and stiffness and just get over it.
Your spouse is dead wrong

I guess it’s kind of human nature for our spouses to get tired of dealing with us after a while. Mine was very supportive for almost 3 weeks. Now she says things like “you have to get up and move more to work through it”. And, your pain should be a lot less by now. She helped me tremendously when I got home from hospital , and I’m thankful for that. I just try to chalk it all up to the fact that they really don’t understand just how invasive this surgery is, and can’t feel what we’re feeling. I’m going on 4 weeks post op, and try to do most things on my own now. The less I ask her to do for me at this point, is better for me, and her. She does still fix my lunch, and dinner. The rest is on me, as it should be. She works.
 
@Ascotgirl , your numbers are good, have you talked to your Dr about your issues? After my expierence I would advise anyone expierencing pain and immobility to ask for a blood test looking for infection....
 
Thankyou. I will do that. I’ll keep you posted
 
Yesterday is gone, thank goodness! I'm working on one day at a time living. Unlike TKR, with stage one of revision, I don't know what to expect. Dr. didn't give me a lot of post op expectations. PT and home health didn't offer much either. I see Drs. week after next, I'm sure they can help. I'm realizing revision is uncommon, thanks goodness. Sleep is OK, I'm not going to complain, it was so much worse with tkr. Antibiotic infusions are going well, just time consuming.. (like I'm going anywhere). Hoping everyone has a great week!
 
Update! I'll be 3 wks this Friday. I'm making progress, less pain and it's easier to use walker while putting only 50% weight on stage 1 revised knee. Sleep is all over the place. Some nights I sleep fairly well but awake easily and get up to go to bathroom. Other nights I struggle with leg spasms. I don't know how else to describe them, it's a grabbing of the quad muscle. I had them with both replacements. I get up, walk around and watch a little TV. Back to bed works after that. I'm almost off the narcotics, rarely use them. They nauseated me big time. I'm still napping and too much activity exhausts me. My numbers as a result of 2 antibiotics twice daily are great! Stitches are out and aspiration in hospital date has been set based on numbers continuing to progress. Best case scenario, I'll have replacement right after Thanksgiving. I feel bad for spouse having to help so much. Being on a walker is very limiting. I have a basket but it's still on him to cook, clean etc. Ever try to carry a dinner plate to table while using a walker? Two years ago when I had this knee replaced I took up watercoloring and have continued to dabble in it to this day. I'm making Halloween cards this week. It helps to have something to do, to be creative and to not feel sorry for myself. My emotions are calmer so I guess I'm getting stronger in many ways. Major surgery sure takes a lot out of you. I've been reading others posting and am so empathic.
Onward and upward, hoping my newest journey goes well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom