Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

I’m glad at least yours comes and goes! I’m losing hope that my issues will change.
 
2 yrs out with my left knee. Finally figured out why this knee gives me so many problems! Knee infection has apparently been festering for a long while. I now have bone loss and will have to have revision after all hardware is removed while I fight the infection. Looks likes weeks and weeks of recovery. Oh boy!
 
So sorry to hear your awful news. You must be feeling pretty devastated that it was not diagnosed before now. Have you found yourself a good surgeon who specializes in this type of revision? Do you have a date for the first part of the procedure. I am sure there are many knowledgeable moderators who can help you prepare yourself for what’s ahead.
Sending healing wishes.
 
I’m so sorry. Wow, after all this time. (Makes me wonder about mine, now!)

Be sure you have an Infectious Disease doctor on the team.
 
I am so sorry to read about your infection. That answers the question of why the knee has bothered you for so long. Hopefully you'll get a surgery date soon and start your recovery.
 
Thanks everyone! I'm having a procedure to culture the infection Friday. This is intended to identify the specific bacteria. The first culture didn't grow anything. I insisted on this procedure. Seems to me an antibiotic specific to the culprit is the way to treat correctly. Throwing the book at the germ seems like overkill to me. My surgeon is head of ortho at a large hospital and specializes in revision.
 
I am sorry to hear about your infection. Hopefully they will be able to identify it. I think having an Infectious Disease Doctor is best to. Mine took care of everything having to do with the infection and then cleared me for the other surgeries.
 
Tomorrow I see Dr. to go over aspiration results done last week. First cultures were negative so deeper more invasive cultures were taken in hospital. If these don't prove infection is present how do I proceed with the 2 step revision? Dr's say taking out all hardware and treating with IV antibiotics is the way to go. After that complete replacement. MRI shows slight bone loss due to infection. Stats show a 30% re-infection with the one step revision where they just clean out and replace in one surgery.

This decision is hard for me. The thought of basically being an invalid for 6-8 wks literally makes me panicky. Be able to do the most basic self care will be a struggle. I'm an independent sort and don't like depending on others.

I'm not asking for help, just venting. It will all work out I'm sure.
 
What a challenge you have ahead. You are one brave bone smarter! What a hard decision to make and only you to make it.
I can only send prayers and wishes for a good recovery.
 
Has your surgeon indicated you will be on bed rest for 6-8 weeks? Normally when the spacer is placed, the patient has some mobility and can get around fairly well until the new prosthesis can be implanted.
 
No @Jamie, I meet with him tomorrow. After researching a bit on my own I discovered like you said I may be more mobile than I thought. I also saw several studies where a one step replacement procedure was as good or better than the two step procedure. They were overseas studies and the two step is the procedure of choice here. A real concern for me is what if my aspiration last Fri shows no growth as the first one did, what then?
 
I don't have the answer to your question and it's one you'll need to discuss with your surgeon. Many times infections are slow growing and low grade, so they don't show up as readily in the cultures. That doesn't mean they are benign and should be ignored, though. Your surgeon will have all the information available to help you weigh your options. I'll be looking forward to hearing how your appointment goes.
 
I'm four and a half weeks out and in the same boat. I think I am just doing too much, even though it's much less than I did after my first TKR.

The therapist told me to just get out and walk but it's all I can do to go around our property once then go back inside and ice up.

My spouse keeps saying "so-and-so said she didn't have hardly any pain at all" after TKR or back surgery or fill in the blank. :what:

I spend most of my time in the bedroom looking at youtube and listening to podcasts.
 
@montanagal, I watched way too much TV with both recoveries. I started watercoloring....making greeting cards etc., I'm still watercoloring and hope to do a lot in the next few months. Something to look forward.

Have you asked your Dr to check for infection? Sure wish I had in the first few months, could have avoided the situation I find myself in now.
 
@Jamie, after seeing Dr. this morning and much discussion we've scheduled surgery for this coming Friday. No cultures grew but an enzyme was present which indicates active infection. Will do 2 step procedure. It's the left knee if you want to add to my info.
 
Thanks.....this sounds like a good decision. I hope you're feeling a bit more at ease about the procedure. It isn't a walk in the park by any means, especially because it stretches out for a while before you can get the actual revision. But the 2-stage revision like this is considered the "gold standard" for fighting an infection and that's a good thing.
 
Surgery to remove implants this morning. Everything went well. Up and walking to bathroom every few hours. I really thought I'd have more trouble since I can only use leg hardware was removed from at 50% weight bearing. Pain is minimal but trying to stay ahead of it. Narco and took tramadol in between. Tramadol actually made me high and slightly nauseous. Both made me sleepy but as we all know there's no sleeping in a hospital!
 
Today was not a good day....problems with veins and strong antibiotics last night. I usually have great veins but one went straight through the veins then finally got the bend in the arm, no a good place. Morning went well untilPT stated she 15min to get me to PT and teach me how to get up and down 2 steps into my house. She decided we needed to use a wheelchair to get across the hall , mind you getting up and down with one leg while other basically is held straight is not easy. I dropped into chair, me using new leg more than I should. While using my arms for strength my IV started bleeding like crazy. Took 3 inexperienced nurses to get it under control. Pt still insisiting our goal must be accomplished today but she would give me a few minutes.... I told her the only accomplishment today would be stopping the bleeding and getting me back to bed and attempt to control the horrible pain I was experiencing! Then occupational nurse bops in for shower, awesomevbut knee is far from happy.

This vein was pronounced no longer viable for administrating antibiotics, they taped it off and scattered. P T said she would see me tomorrow. It was decided by internist to put in PICC line. We were going to do this anyway in a couple of days, so no big deal and nurse was awesome. All went well.

Did I mention my surgeon has not bothered to see me since he took all my implant out yesterday morning? I've basically seen hospital internist, my new infectious disease Dr's and hospital personnel attempting at home help.

Nurses have been behind administrating twice today, here I sit, they are due right now and even mentioning lateness causes me more pain, still no meds. The pain from all the action today is pretty much making me teary and ticked!

Tomorrow is a new day!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom