Knee Infection* Knee #2 Vent

As the now registered carer of my husband, I want to get back to relying on myself and not my wonderful family and amazing friends.
When you're used to being a giver, it's mentally ruddy hard to be a taker.
 
Last edited:
I want to be able to bend my knee without pain, at least as much as I could bend it prior to surgery.

I want to be able to go on an outing with my friends, knowing there is no time limit because of my knee.

I want to be able to again help others do little jobs around their homes when they can’t do it themselves.
 
I want to be able to work in the garden. Getting up without it being so very painful.

I want to approach stairs and not panic because I have to do onez's.

I would love love love to be able to take a walk without stiffness in the knee and back.

I want to get out of a chair without it looking so very awkward. (I'm embarrassed by it)

I want to bend beyond 95 degrees - which is key and why I have so many 'I want's.'

I want to wear jeans more than an hour before the constriction from swelling really bothers me.

I want to realize that if this is the 'best me' that I accept it and keep living my blessed life.
 
I'm just now able to sleep on side and soon will have to start over! Side sleep is the best sleep. I see many here who can't stand clothing on their knee, that must be awful
 
Oh goodness @doopy. I am so sorry! Do you have your own recovery thread? In fact, I think you may need a new thread referring to your infection. I will report this and one of our moderators will get you on the right path.

Praying for you that everything begins to calm down and heal. You have been through so much in a short time. :console2:
 
Oh bless your heart. I so emphasize with your issues. I was told when a infection is in a replaced knee there is no remedy but to remove hardware because infection grows topically on metal and antibiotics will not phase them. They cleaned out the area put in antibiotic cement and put in a spacer. I don't have advice, I don't know enough about this process to advise. You've been through so much trauma in the last yr it sounds like your reserves are depleted. In your position I would be on a good diet and supplement with vitamins and extra C and B. I'm a big supplemented. Mentally all any of can do is hang in there and don't beat up on yourself for hopeless or crying. I've been there and here I am a few weeks later feeling hopeful. That hopeful feeling comes from rest, time and healing, hopefully you'll get there soon. Let me know how your doing, I'll pray for you.
 
Chipped a tooth this morning. Ever just think......what's next? On a positive note, today is my last day of antibiotics! I will wait one week, have a knee aspiration. Wait a week hoping culture doesn't grow, then on to replacement. Praying all goes well.
 
I'm rooting for you!
 
@Starsfan22 I just now read up on things in this thread. Hang in there. You are inspiring.

I am 4 1/2 months post TKA and am still trying to figure out if I have a disaster or if I am doing well. I have a lot of function but have a fair amount of weight bearing pain and fear/suspect infection because of the increasing pain. So, reading your updates give me hope either way.

Keep the updates coming so you know you aren't going through this alone. As you know there are wonderful people here ready to encourage, give good advice, and basically root for you. They have been so kind to me and my worries.
 
@HokieGCC, thanks, I feel far from inspiring. Tomorrow I have OP aspiration to check for lingering infection. Fingers crossed that it's clear. Living with a spacer for 6+ weeks is not fun so I'm eager for the replacement. Sure, it's starting over but it's also a giant step towards healing!
 
@Starsfan22 good luck! If you don't mind me asking how did they administer the IV antibiotic. Is it a needle in your arm or do they do something special near the knee?
 
Everyone on this blog feels and understands your pain, don’t let others judge you and maybe let your spouse know that unless he changes his attitude, you might do a number on his leg to help him better understand! LOL
I am going through my second TKR, and I can assure you that this is a long process….your knee and body will heal when it is good and ready! Don’t get discouraged!
 
@HokieGCC, antibiotics administered through a pic line in upper arm, very easy, pain free process. Well except for the horrible reaction to the vacomyacin.

@Corvetteman2021 , my spouse is in the doghouse tonight, don't even ask. I wish he could just switch places with me for one day, just one. Good luck on your second.

After Doc aspirated my knee in hospital this morning he scheduled my replacement! Of course it depends on a clear culture but I have a date! Let the healing begin
 
Sending healing positive thoughts to you. Hope you turn that major corner towards the light at the end of the tunnel - pain free walking!! :walking:
 
Thank you @Starsfan22. You are indeed getting there if you have a surgery date then you are rid of that infection. Keep us posted. We pray for and think about each other as we are going through all of this.

I know what you mean about others not quite grasping the situation we are in. I know my family tires of me talking about my knee. They just don't understand that it SCREAMS at us all day and it is awfully hard to ignore ... not the pain necessarily but just how it is and all the things we need to do.
 
Your journey is longer than some but you will get there and you will have hours, then , days, then weeks where your knee and how it feels is not constantly on your mind. I am 5 months out and still at the hour-day stage. My knee is not painful, it is sore after walking and staying on my feet or sitting for long periods at the computer but I can just accept that and carry on. It is much improved on pre surgery so I’m happy and I’m sure you will be too. You’ve been amazing through all this. An inspiration to so many.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom