KiKi60's Recovery Thread

@zauberflöte Thanks for this good, specific info--I think I will give my self a few more days, and then see about tapering off the Percocet a bit.
The tapering time is very personal, I've seen on here. I went through with somebody who was off ALL pain meds by week three, and squatting down to put shoes on her toddler's and preschooler's little feet! Then there is the other extreme, also. So cut yourself slack and above all don't be a hero, but keep on top of your meds by the clock. Oftentimes people find that they automatically start weaning by forgetting a dose and not noticing! I did some of that, but it was not at 5 days, I can tell you that!
 
Yesterday I had my first visit from home health/PT. He was impressed with my walker skills, and I proudly demonstrated my bathroom trip technique. He also remarked about the low amount of swelling in the op leg: and of course that's because I have been following the BS mantras of icing, elevating, and resting! He gave me a set of the standard exercises, but did not really push me at all; I think he was more interested in getting an idea of my functional status. He talked to me about coordinating my meds schedule with subsequent visits, and icing afterward; I was a bit sore afterward, but another session of icing calmed things down quickly. This morning I received a call from the OS office, and was able to report so far, so good, except for the bowel movement. I'm truly not uncomfortable with that at this time, so she told me to keep pushing the water, and taking the Miralax dose and stool softeners 2x a day, continue with the gentle exercise (i.e. the bathroom trips) and things will most likely sort themselves out.

This morning trying out a slightly reduced narcotics schedule (from 8 pills a day to 6 a day, a 25% reduction) suggested by OS, since I had so much dizziness and nausea in the hospital, and still feeling a bit of both. I'm keeping a log, and timing it with my phone, and if I feel the least bit more pain, up goes the dosage again. Unlike so many folk on these forums, they sent me home with plenty of pain control, so I do not have to hoard them.

Hope others are doing well!
 
@KiKi60 it sounds like you are doing OK. Keep up the great work. I wish you a great recovery. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like your doing well, best wishes for a speedy recovery, keep up the good work
Elaine
 
So glad you are coming along well @KiKi60, what little I have had Anesthia I have never had a problem with that kind of nausea, The only problem I had was this morning when they tried to get me out of bed I was still in too much pain and thought I was going to keel over, finally got the pain meds under control and flipped my feet over the bed jumped up on the walker and off I went, been sitting in the chair most of the day walking the halls I'm determined to make bilateral history LOL, what a difference a day makes tonight I turn down my pain meds and just took Tylenol and Celebrex I will probably pay for that decision


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou Dang, girl, you are attacking your rehab, as the NFL football players say! I'm so glad to read you have turned a corner from your first night!
 
6th Post-op day, which means tomorrow I can remove the dressing, except for the Steri-Strips, and TAKE A SHOWER! PT should come Monday to train me on stairs so I can go up to the shower in the master bedroom. Planning to wash my hair today.
I've been sleeping fairly well in the motorized recliner we bought for this purpose. It keeps me comfortable sleeping on my back and keeping the precautions. The every-4-hour pain med schedule is a bit disruptive, but I'm still getting a solid 6 hours of sleep most nights, and some cat naps during the day.
Still struggling with transient dizziness/nausea/upset stomach. Stomach is worse when it's empty, so I'm sub-dividing meals to coincide with pain meds, and that has helped. Too early to reduce pain meds anymore; I have almost no post-op pain; continuing to ice and elevate, drink lots of water, and round trip walk to the bathroom @ every 90 minutes/2 hours or so.
 
Sorry @KiKo60 you are having queasiness and dizziness, glad u are eating and it's helping, I like u have almost no post op pain, backing off on ice but still using it! Here's hoping you have a peaceful well rested night, I just climbed 13 steps to my real bed and I'm planning to do the same, rest easy


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Decided to try reducing the Percocet (5/325) to one every 6 hours, and that seems to strike the right balance between acceptable pain control and easier on the stomach! :happydance:
I've been at that dosage for several days now, and finally feel pretty good, as long as I have a good sized snack with each dose.
Monday was a big day: I had my first BM, exactly one week post op :egypdance:. I kept up steadily with the stool softener, once daily Miralax dose, and as many fruits and veg as I could stand with my queasy stomach, and that did the trick. Then I had my 2nd home PT visit. She did have me do a few exercises, and showed me how to do a very shallow "squat" while holding on to the kitchen sink. She did not force me, just said to do as many of these as feel comfortable and don't hurt, so that was nice. She also showed me how to go up and down the stairs with my cane. I went up again after my husband came home from work, so I could take a delicious hot shower!

After all that, I was surprised to find my self completely wiped out; I fell asleep in my recliner @8:30, and only woke up when my phone alarm went off at 2 am for my next dose, went right back to sleep.
 
@KiKi60 Wow I just read your whole thread. WTG on the PT, BM and a shower those milestones are so awesome. Keep up the great job
 
Hi @KiKi60
Glad your recovery is going smoothly, I am one week out as well and it is a slow go but getting better. I have no sleep problems and I am quite mobile. One of my dressings came off after the first shower, but the Steri-Strips are holding and it looks good, my other bandage is still good so I have not peeked underneath of it yet but it can come off soon. I have one week from today to get to my two week appointment. Having a few low-grade fevers at night that seem to go away during the day, I called the surgeons office concerned about it, I got a personal call back from my surgeon said not to worry as long as the incisions are not painful and there's no redness



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! I had another PT visit yesterday, and she told me again I am doing very well and suggested I push my self a bit to start building up muscle endurance. So, that means I am to go outside for a brief walk with my walker today. I live at the very back of our complex, so very quiet, almost no traffic; I should be fine to shuffle around for 5-10 minutes or so. She suggested one short, single car trip (as a passenger, since still on the drugs) each day this weekend, too. I am nearly 6 ft tall, with a 35-inch inseam, and it was a project to get into our small SUV without breaking the precautions when I got in for the ride home from the hospital, so I reviewed the technique with her again. I haven't left the house, except to let the dog out on the back patio, since I was discharged last Wednesday afternoon, so I'm looking forward to getting out today.

In retrospect, I'm glad I continued (forced myself!) to go to the gym up until the week before my surgery; I think maintaining some upper body and core strength has been a factor in my good progress.
 
@KiKi60 you are doing so well there! Leaving the house is a wonderful feeling. I was very lucky for my first hip that the whole house was on one level, and going outside to the deck was merely a step through the sunroom door. And only two steps down from the front porch to the sidewalk/driveway/road, all level as level can be. How is your terrain?
That's cool to get advised to go riding in a car. I don't think I could have that early-- I had the narcotic nausea/dizziness that first hip too, and I wound up gaining 14 lbs partly from eating a calorie loaded fatty snack such as nuts and yogurt, or cheese, or.....ice cream (bad me, I know, and I paid for it) with each percocet dose. I also had some revulsion to my usual main dish foods, and craved animal protein. I could not look a bean or rice or quinoa in the face to save my life (or at least my waistline!).

Keep up the good work!
 
Hi @KiKi60
Glad you're feeling more mobile, I have been getting outside very little it's just a couple steps down onto my deck and I walk across the street to my mailbox, usually with a crutch. Today if it's not raining I want to walk the .1 miles down the road to the corner and back. I live on a dirt road but it's hard and smooth and flat I could either take the walker or the crutches, I am trying to walk around the house without anything as much as possible, i'm good in the morning but by afternoon things start to tighten up and I find I'm more comfortable with a little help from my aids. I have been on one outing, four days after my surgery we went out to visit the people where I work. I felt the effects of all the moving around the next day but it wasn't too bad. I will be glad when I can put on my socks without my sock thingy and drive. I am hoping hoping hoping if I can strut into my two week appointment like a champ, that I can get him to lift the restriction. I feel like I can drive, my legs work fine. My surgeon does not start PT until after your two week check up, he may recommend it he may not, he puts it on a case-by-case basis depending on how we are all doing. I think I would like to go to get good range of motion back, and they have a brand-new hydrotherapy pool at my PT it looks like it would be wonderful for this type of rehab. Wishing you continued progress and strength.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great job KiKi60. This is the part where you will want to figure out something More you need to be doing. Except for getting out to improve mental state and gradual more walking... There isn't alot more you need to do. They caused alot of trauma getting that hip fixed so easy easy does it for the first month especially.
Speaking from experience...I was trying way too much by the second week... So please be easy on your body. Once things have a change to settle you will be able to do much more. At this stage, Patience is definitely the hardest part.
Hoping you have a great weekend
 
My trip in the back of the complex was @ 140 yards, so not that far. I'd forgotten that the main drive is concrete, but the "cobblestone" sections were a problem with my walker, so I was extra careful. Plus had my little dog on a leash with me, and she had trouble adjusting to the walker and the slower pace, ("Come ON, mom!!")so the walker didn't work too well.
After that husband and I drove to a local drug store for a few items. My op leg still is a little stiff, so it was a bit of a struggle to lift it into the car, but getting better. I took my cane instead of the walker, and was able to walk in to the store and around to get the items, stand in a short line to pay, and out again. Still waiting for my temp disabled placard, but we were able to park close to the store. Then drove to a lunch place to get take out; I stayed in the car. Spent the rest of the day in the recliner icing. I felt a bit of swelling, but by the time I went to sleep, it was gone.

This morning did another slight longer walk in my complex, with my cane and dog, and that worked much better.
This afternoon we plan to drive to a local place for ice cream; I won't need to walk much at all, so that will be enough for today. Mojo333, you are right; I'm feeling pretty good, as long as I do a lot of resting, so the temptation is strong right now to do too much and I need to guard against that; I was never so happy to go to a drug store in my life!
 
Glad you are doing well. Where is all that hip pain??? Happy that you are making yourself take it easy.
You will look back in amazement in a few short weeks. Hope today is a good day!
 
Back
Top Bottom