KiKi60's Recovery Thread

Dear Diary: :heehee:

Had my first outpatient PT visit on Friday. No big deal, mostly an assessment visit. I now feel quite comfortable with just the cane, even out in public. The PT watched me walk with the cane and go up and down stairs, and asked me about what else I was doing at home. She had me use an exercise machine which was a cross between a recumbent bike and an elliptical. I used that for 15 minutes with no problem. Asked her about my schedule, as husband will need to drive me and visits must be scheduled around his work schedule. She said 2x a week, at least 4 visits, but it depends on my progress. She told me I am already doing well and will probably not need additional visits, so hurray for that! I definitely iced after that activity, but had expected additional soreness, nothing serious. I've also started doing a couple of walks with my cane around the entire driveway around our complex, about 15-20 minutes 2x a day.

I've been taking Percocet at the same dosage for 2 weeks now, so decided yesterday to reduce it to 1 pill every 8 hours, down from one every 6. I'd really like to get rid of that middle of the night dose! If this doesn't work with increased activity schedule, I know I can either return to the higher dosage or add in some Tylenol. I'm surprised and grateful that right from the surgery my pain has been well controlled, especially when reading so many folks here are struggling with pain control. Yesterday I did have one moment of truth when I thought I heard the dog getting into mischief upstairs (she's always looking for ways to sneak around the barrier to the cat food, little stinker!) and rushed to go up the stairs. I put my full weight on my op leg without thinking, and it said "WHOA lady! we are not ready for that!!" Whew! but the pain subsided immediately and no aftereffects, just a zinger.

Yesterday was a low day mentally--I think I did not get enough activity yesterday, just sitting around watching TV, and felt kind of out of sorts all day yesterday, and a bit of a depressed mood. Today I will run a couple of short errands with the husband and make sure I get my 2 little walks in, hoping that will help.
 
You are certainly doing well. We have all these revelations at first and then things seem to level off and it triggers some kind of post-op blues, I think.
Not really okay enough to do what we want yet, but not in distress enough to feel like need all that extra TLC???
Getting out and about should help...
You are really doing well. Keep on keeping on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing great, keep listening to your body @KiKi60 there is nothing out of the ordinary in the Blues you have been experiencing either, it's all part of the recovery. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, both! I think yesterday I started thinking, "Ugh, I am not even half way through my time off and I'm already BORED". I don't mind my job, but I'm surprised I feel as though I miss it already! I haven't had this much time off work since college, so I need to re-group and find ways to stay busy--should be easier as I can move around more. :thumb:
 
Also try to enjoy this time to let yourself heal. I'm not good at sitting and being patient but now that I'm back to work I am so tired and miss my time to ice and elevate.
 
Hi @KiKi60
Sounds like you are progressing well, I hear you about the boredom, missing work? I just wish I could do fun stuff like ride horses and bicycle. It is in my future, I have actually started driving back-and-forth to my work running some errands while a coworker is on vacation. Not sure if I miss it all that much. I have been a bartender for 100 years and I'm on the brink of retirement and I'm trying to decide if I am going to go back one or two days a week or just give it up. I think I am finally in a position where I have that option. Lots of changes in my life that started with a broken ankle, continued with bilateral hip replacement, and now what to do with the rest of my life that I'm all repaired and back on the go. Wishing you continued and speedy recovering !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey there @KiKi60 .
Hope you are not letting yourself get bogged down in those post-op blues.
I'm rooting for you.
Tomorrow is gonna be a good day!
 
Well, Mojo, you were right. Gave myself a talking to, and realized I could change a couple of things which were dragging me down. I suddenly began feeling claustrophobic sleeping in my very comfy recliner, so I decided to sleep in my bed last night for the first time in nearly a month. It took the construction of an elaborate pillow fort, but I was able to sleep in bed without violating my restrictions. Slept for a full blissful 8 hours!:sleep: Went to outpatient PT yesterday and the young man gave me only 3 exercises to do, but I told him one I will not be able to do because it hurts my knees, which are the next 2 joints which will need replacing. He gave it to me anyway, so I guess I....won't do that one, sorry! He said I will most likely need to go through the end of August, yuk. Guess I don't have to go. The good thing was that I learned I can actually do more than I have been without pain, so that gave me some inspiration and I felt better about the progress I've made so far.

Today I decided to try a longer walk, so went on a route through our neighborhood I have not done in at least a year. It's 1.5 miles! I did ice and elevate for the rest of the day, so no real after effects. I know part of my low mood was due to not getting much exercise, so now that I know I can walk a decent amount, that helps a lot.
 
Cabin fever is a reality too plus when we are used to working full-time and we all of a sudden we are home full-time it can hit us with being bored silly. I've had a few episodes too then focused on keeping my mind busy. And @GrannyC gave me some ideas too to occupy my time. This is you time now, dig deep down and think about trying new things. Maybe in the craft area or wherever you might like to develop new interests. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
You are right about the PT @KiKi60. If it hurts, don't do it. When I went for my 8 wk check, I was feeling a bit stiff after sitting so I asked my OS if he thought it was from PT or just part of healing. He said it was part of healing and he told me I didn't need PT so I just stopped going. I really never did a lot of PT anyhow except when I was at their facility. From all I read on here plus even before my surgery my OS said hips don't need PT (so why did he give me a script?? I suppose maybe for my own peace of mind??), I really never pushed it. I did the toe wiggles when I came home from hospital plus a few heel slides once I could move my leg but not much else.

It sounds like you are recovering very well. The boredom is real for many. I was truly blessed that I had more projects lined up than I had recovery time so I never really got bored. I do a lot of sewing and since that is definitely not strenuous, I was able to get back to my machine for short periods after about a week I think.. I also had books although it was probably close to 2 weeks before I could concentrate well enough to read a book.

Enjoy this time to let your body keep healing!! :yes!:
 
Thanks, Cheryl,
I wish i were crafty! A co-worker gave me some puzzle books and a coloring book, so I may try those. Also work on re-organizing my music library on iTunes, and my Kindle books--I guess that's my version of crafts, Ha!
Both of my sisters-in-law are accomplished seamstresses and crafters, so I do feel inadequate in that area compared to them; that comes from me, neither of them have ever commented.

This weekend it turns out I will be alone; my 95 year old mother in law's health is suddenly deteriorating, so my husband just left for what will most likely be a final visit after receiving an urgent call from his sister Thursday.
I am not quite at one month from surgery, so I don't think I could handle the multi-hour car ride (she is in another state), and worried about movement restrictions, so I told him to go without me; I felt I would be more of a distraction than a support. He will be home Monday afternoon. I have not been cleared to drive myself, and my husband specifically asked me not to drive while he was gone, so he wouldn't worry about me, but he left the taller car here so if there was an emergency, I could get in and out without worrying about the movement precautions.

We bought groceries this morning before he left, so I have plenty of food and sundries; I told him I feel as though we prepared for a blizzard, not just 2 days alone! I have the pets, and neighbors close by, so I'm sure I will be fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So happy when I read your post. You deserve to be happy and feel like all is moving ahead. Good for you for asserting yourself with PT. I know I have felt conflicted about what I should be doing but if it is causing distress...my body doesn't need it right now.
You are a bright light...it's just an up and down journey, and the down doesn't always mean bad...it means take a breath...reset. keep it going:yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KiKi60 go you!!! You've come a long way while I've had my back turned! I think you will be fine all on your ownie-oh. (and @Mojo333 you are a super-coach!!! :friends:) I am sorry to hear about hubby's mother. I hope he and his sister can hold each other together through this. My in-town m-i-l passed away about 6 weeks pre-op. I was relieved, as I couldn't have borne not being able to be there with her.

I told hubby to commute the 100 (overnight) miles to his office for one overnight 8 days post-op, and from the next week on, he was gone Wed-Fri. As you say, pets, neighbors, I was fine. (also Netflix, to which I developed quite an addiction, and my 5-month collection of three SF magazines for light reading...and here, to which I developed quite an addiction also!)

Don't feel bad about not crafting!! Some love it, others turn to them when they want something :wink: I think reorganizing your music and reading libraries is something that has to be done, and will have lasting results-- how is that coming?
 
Anything that keeps your mind busy is great @KiKi60 music is great and reading. I'm sure you will be fine for a couple days as long gone as you have someone to call if you need anything which it sounds like you have good neighbors. I was on my own and managed a few times, the first time just 2 weeks out. As long as you can easily manage getting your meals and get in and out of bed on your own it will be fine. This will be a stressful time for your husband, I'm sure on top of all that's happening with his mother he will be concerned about you at home as well. I'm glad he made sure you have everything you might need. A day visit us here on bonesmart. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I had my first post-op visit yesterday, and it was mostly positive. I told my OS I thought I was doing well, and progressing with no complaints. That day was my 32nd post op day, and the middle of the prior week I completed tapering off the Percocet and have not had to use it since, although I've taken Tylenol a couple of times after my PT sessions. He seemed surprised that I was able to stop the narcotics so early, and that I had already graduated to the cane. He said most people at 4-ish weeks are still using the walker and the narcotics, but then said, "That's probably because you were athletic before the surgery". (I don't think I qualify as athletic, but maybe I was somewhat more active than the average patient?? I don't know about that from reading posts from many active folks here on BS. Anyway.)
Interesting to notice a difference between his perspective and that of the PT folks I've been seeing; he did somewhat acknowledge that, saying, "PT probably is encouraging you to go to the cane, right?", which is true, so I was surprised that *he* seemed to feel it was a bit early. But I honestly have almost no pain, unless I over do the activity (as I did yesterday, joined the ODIC!!), and feel steady and confident using just the cane when out in public running an errand, going out to lunch, etc.

The OS then went on to say he wants me to continue the movement precautions for 2 more months! Ugh! He told me as he was looking at my chart, he remembered that the team noticed during surgery while manipulating my leg that my muscles were more "stretchy" than the average patient, and he feels I may be at greater risk of dislocation for that reason, and he would prefer I took extra time to heal. He said "I'll bet you have always been very flexible and able to perform movements other people can't", which is true, or was true when I was younger. I asked if that meant I must continue with using the toilet seat riser, etc., and he said Yes to that, unfortunately. That led me to ask about driving, since I will return to work before the 2 months are up, and at least he said if I am really off the narcotics, and can observe my precautions getting and out, I can drive now, so YAY! I'm not going anywhere far, but it would be nice to know I can run a quick, short errand or two if needed, and my Physical Therapy building is only a 20 minute drive away, so next week I can drive myself to my appointment.

Later that evening, some friends visiting from out of state met us for dinner, and then we walked around the downtown area chatting for a bit. According to my phone, I walked nearly 2 miles yesterday, and that was clearly too much. Despite icing I just could not get comfortable in bed last night, (should have taken ES Tylenol), so spent half the night in the recliner again. Today, nothing but one quick trip to lunch, then home icing and elevated and napping!
 
Good job @KiKi60 . We all overdo it at some point but nice to know that you gave yourself time to get over it as not to over aggravate.
It might seem as if your OS use acting out if am abundance of caution...but HE did the work. PT s often can only see progress as what can we help you do that you couldn't do. I was one of the conservative ones the first 8 weeks especially. I don't want to have any complications or anything that will have to be fixed because I'm over zealous with activity.
Sounds like you are just gonna have to be patient a little longer...good for driving news, though.:driver:
 
@KiKi60 good OS report! A bummer about the extra 2 months of precautions, but it sounds to me like you've got this. Interesting about your flexibility! And then the rest of your day-- that was lovely, and perhaps worth a little soreness today! Especially if there was ice cream involved in the walking around...

Oh yes, and wow you're down to just some tylenol! Always good news :smile2:
 
@Mojo333 you're right; I do not want to jeopardize my recovery, so I will continue to follow the precautions as he asked; it was just a surprise, and frustrating since I though I was almost done with all that. I know he is just being extra conscientious; he also ordered a dexascan for me, because he told me during my surgery he thought my bone felt soft. I had that test done the same day as my post op visit, since they are in the same part of the med center. No results on that yet, although osteoporosis does occur on my maternal side of the family. I don't know what to think about having both soft bone and stretchy muscles--maybe I'm also related to Gumby!

Ha! @zauberflöte , trust me after all we ate, there was no room for ice cream! I need to remember I am not getting much exercise, or I will not be able to fit into my work clothes when I go back to work! Today we took a drive up the coast and had lunch out again. I did well on the car trip, stopped a couple of times to stretch, and was able to use public restrooms without breaking precautions; it's a good thing most places have had to make their restrooms disabled accessible.
 
It sounds like your recovery is going great. Maybe you can think of the extra 2 months of precautions is nothing compared with the lifetime of no OA pain in that hip now ahead. It will all be worth it in the end.
 
Back
Top Bottom