Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

Morning Suemegane. Glad you had a good sleep. My sleeping is going well too. I take 2 tramadol an hour before bed (9pm) along with a good half hour with an ice pack. I still take another 2 tramadol when I wake up, usually at 2am. I'm on 2 paracetamol and 1 codeine 3 times during the day and the pain is now 99.9% under control. The only real discomfort I get is some stabbing pains in the wound which I'm sure are caused by the staples annoying damaged nerve endings. Still sleeping with my leg raised on two pillows although I occasionally lie in my side for a couple of hours. I'm still icing every 2 hours for half an hour although I don't use it during the night any more.

The swelling is really down today and I can get a 90 deg flexion much more easily. I can also get it as straight as possible considering it's still quite swollen. Moving around is so much better too. Yesterday was the first time I didn't go to bed for a sleep in the afternoon although I was very dozy on the sofa! I just have to try and avoid the evening blues next! I can get very down by the end of the day. My husband has gone back to work today but left my breakfast for me. All I had to do was let the dogs out into the garden for a wee and give them their brekkie. Having a VERY lazy day today as we have to go to Reading tomorrow for my 2 weeks check and staples out.
 
Sounds like we are both on track. I keep getting that stabbing down the staples so will be glad to have them removed tomorrow. Have a good day & don't overdo it.
 
Day 13

I've had the laziest day imaginable today, I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I was also unusually weepy this morning for no real reason. The extra rest can only be a good thing as I've got to travel the 1.5 hours back to the hospital to get staples out and a PT appointment. My husband and I are both primed to keep over zealous PT's at bay!

I'm hoping the staple removal is straightforward. I really don't feel like another pain battle at this stage.
 
Perfectly normal and good. Your body is saying "What the heck was that!?" and working frantically to heal, taking ALL the resources it can.
 
Sorry I took ages to answer but I've just had my first solo shower and had to lie down afterwards!:sleeep:
Congratulations on the solo shower! It's a great feeling of accomplishment--but a bit of an event at first, isn't it?
 
Thanks kneeper, it's a great feeling indeed!

Day 14
We made the hour and a half trek back to the hospital today for PT appointment and staple removal. The latter was uneventful if a little stingy but I'm glad it's done. The wound is neat and flat and looks pretty good. We took ice packs and I had them on most of the time there and back which helped a great deal.

PT was not big deal either thankfully. She checked my range of motion which she was happy with (90 deg flexion) and basically said to keep up the good work. My crutches have been replaced with sticks. She has asked me to try to start walking up steps normally (just 1 or 2 to start with). I tried it and everything worked ok, no pain but I'm being very cautious.

She also asked my to try one step down with the operated leg which is NOT going to happen again for a long time! That really hurt. :bignono: She said walking was the best exercise as it encompasses all the movements you need. I've listened to the forum members and I'm going to take my time. There'll be plenty of opportunity to get fit once I've healed! I certainly don't go short of walking as our toilet is upstairs!

I didn't feel under any pressure as I feared I would. The PT didn't touch me at all which was a relief as I would have been very cross if she'd pushed me beyond my comfort zone.:no-fin:

I switch to a new PT on the 27th much closer to home. I hope he/she is ok. If I don't find it useful, I just won't got back!
 
I went to my GP today to ask for PT as no sessions have been booked. I had the op done at Private Hospital under NHS but as yet not been told about any PT maybe they will mention at my check up with surgeon in 2 weeks. The nurse told me to put a compression stocking from ankle to over the knee this will help with the swelling. I'm still using crutches no talk of going to sticks yet. Keep up the good work kelpie. Will catch up soon
 
Good morning kelpie, how are you doing on your journey? My swelling is going down so feel in control of muscles a bit more, hope you are getting to that stage too? Going to try the shower again today?????
 
Hiya Sue, I'm fine thanks, my swelling is well down too. It's still pretty thick and dead feeling around the knee itself but much more manageable. I'm sleeping ok, I make sure I take the meds in good time before bed but need a top up at 2 am. I'm great in the mornings but vy evening I'm usually pretty disappointed as the pain and discomfort return. I think I'll have to slow down even more during the day to see if that helps although I don't feel like I'm doing much!

The codeine continues to cause constipation in spite of eating a LOT of high fibre stuff. I put on a stone in the past year due to an increasing lack of exercise because of the pain. I weighed myself this morning and was surprised to see my weight is actually dropping, in spite of eating things I would normally avoid. Having said that, I'm not eating very big portions. I guess this healing thing takes more out of us than we think!

Al (hubby) has suggested a light lunch at Harlow garden centre on Saturday. It's only a mile or two away. I'd love to get out but we'll wait and see how I feel.
 
I think we are both at the same spot in recovery. I was thinking about getting out at the weekend but waiting to see what the weather is doing? You must be the same distance to Harlow as me? I live in Loughton. I lost 2st over the last 18 months with slimming world, I weighed myself on Monday & I am back to my last weigh in weight. Mike has been cooking healthy meals for me, lots of green veg, stir fry, roast dinners, omelettes & salads. He works nights so is here for me during the daytime & my daughter pops in & i have two sons here at night, which has worked out really well. I think my boss at work is expecting me to return to work in 4 weeks but not sure if I will be ready for that.
 
I'm just outside Harlow in Church Langley. You did really well with your weight loss. It's so hard at our age! I'm not under any pressure to return to work thankfully. I arranged the op at our quietest time and have spent the last few months training up a colleague to cover for me. Even though I have a desk job, I wouldn't be able to sit for long with my knee bent and no way could I concentrate either! I can't put my laptop on my legs either, too heavy and too hot! I'm signed off for another 4 weeks too and can work from home if I'm ready. I'm going to wait and see. Please don't go back too early. It will set you back and just make you miserable.
 
My crutches have been replaced with sticks. She has asked me to try to start walking up steps normally (just 1 or 2 to start with). I tried it and everything worked ok, no pain but I'm being very cautious.

She also asked my to try one step down with the operated leg which is NOT going to happen again for a long time! That really hurt. :bignono: She said walking was the best exercise as it encompasses all the movements you need.
It's still very early to be doing steps one foot at a time. Try it now and then, but don't rush to do it all the time. Going down is always harder than going up, because it puts more stress on your knees.

I agree with your PT, that walking is the best exercise of all.
 
Glad to see that you are sleeping pretty well, and wonderful news that you can delay return to work if you'd like. I did have to go back a bit early, but if I could have I would have stayed home. I don't think I've hurt myself terribly, but I think my recovery would have been faster if I could have stayed home. Keep up your good work. You are doing great.
 
Hiya Kelpie how are you feeling today? I had a broken night, longest I slept was 5 hours & feel a bit brighter this morning. Muscle pain only & was able to do little exercise last night to stretch back of knee. Seems like there is a change in the weather, no snow he yet here. Have a god day take care
 
Hi Suemegane! We've got snow now and it's settling! I do love snow but I know it won't last which isn't a bad thing. We're hoping to go to Harlow Garden centre for a bite to eat at 1200 but we'll see how it goes. If the snow lasts, we'll have to cancel.

My night was ok thanks and I'm actually feeling quite bright today. Mornings are the best for me but I usually wither from about 2 pm onwards. I have been very sore every evening from around 7 pm so yesterday I took 2 codeine instead of 1 at 5 pm and a tramadol, which I only every usually take at night, at 7 pm. It worked a treat and yesterday was my first totally pain free day. I'm still being very lazy though which is out of character but the knee loves it!

I've been plagued with an itchy patch on the back of my knee which is growing steadily worse. I sometimes suffer from pressure urticaria, itchy skins where anything rubs like tight waistbands etc and it's with sitting for long periods with my leg on an pillow. I'm now wondering if it's eczema. I had that on my hand after I badly damaged it in a motorbike accident in 2008. I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems like this?
 
Hiya, glad you had a good night. I have had itchy skin & used my grandsons eczema cream (double Base gel or cream, you can also use this to wash with) which worked a treat, this is also good for massaging the back of the knee with. It started snowing here about an hour ago, but I think it will clear before lunchtime. If you do go to the garden centre maybe you would like to meet up, as I really need to get out for an hour! I will pm my number if you want to contact, won't be offended if you don't want to. Take care & don't overdo it today x
 
Oh that'd be great! Do you know where it is? Just off the M11 Harlow junction. I'll be the chubby blonde lady with sticks and the tall, bald skinny man! :snork:

All being well, see you in the cafe bit around 12.
 
Yes we know where it is. Let me know if you decide to cancel. I will bring that cream with me. Look forward meeting you both.
 
We won't cancel, I'm looking forward to it too much!

I've just had a look in the bathroom and my Mum has left double base cream here so I'll try that. See you later!

Kate X
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom