Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

Yes boss. I promise to behave. :whistle: It's a steep learning curve isn't it?! :blush:
Vertical. I was a Star Pupil, the Big Boss of Recovery. This is because I'm bone idle person and I don't even need to be asked once to spend all day watching that box doing fanny adams. It's all the people that like to do stuff that are in trouble.

The only 3 months of my life where laziness made me a star. Milk it -- you betcha!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is really important not to stir things up too much. I never did many exercises at home--My PT considered it a great joke to give me a sheet with exercises on it!! Less is better in the first three weeks---I think daily exercise is better after that when the tissues and bones have started to heal. You simply cannot rush this recovery---I know because I tried!!! I am an athlete and figured it would be a snap for me. It wasn't!

But with my second knee, I learned my lesson. I lay on the couch or the bed for the first three weeks doing absolutely nothing except watching all the movies of Jane Austen that I could find. I think I watched Pride and Prejudice three times. Then I watched Downton Abbey from the beginning. then I went to You tube and learned to knit.

Finally I began to gently exercise that leg. I have much better rom on the second leg, by the way.
 
Thanks Kelly, I'm taking all this on board. It makes sense even though it's hard to accept I can do little to help myself other than wait patiently! I listen, I promise.
 
Had a better nights sleep found a sideway position which I am used to, still waking up with headaches each morning though. How are you today @Kelpie I am going to try to have a shower today not sure how as ours is over the bath. @"Roy gardiner couldn't find how to look at your sig? Can't wait to have the clips out on Tuesday as they feel restricting & I would like to try to walk a bit better ( promise I won't overdo it )
 
Morning Suemegane, glad you slept well. I'm sleeping on my side now as well, with the uppermost leg supported on two pillows. It's good to be a lot comfier than I was a week ago!

My shower is also over the bath. I bought a bench off eBay on the recommendation of the hospital physio and it's brilliant. You can sit on it and swing you legs over to get in an out. I'm still so careful not to take any chances with a fall though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271418664605?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought a new suite (long overdue!) with my bonus in September and it's been a godsend as it has electric recliners. Now it's beginning to sink in that I'm on the long haul and also that I have a second knee that needs to be replaced, I've also ordered a decent leg rest which I can use on my recliner as well as in bed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191473617031?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

On the advice of my 93 year old Mum who has had 2 hip replacements, I bought a bag to hang round my neck to carry things like my phone, iPad, glasses etc around. I can't carry anything whilst on crutches and with my hubby going back to work tomorrow, I can't ask him every time I need something!

broken link removed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANDMADE-Shopper-shoulder-tote-Bag-In-Crazy-Sheep-Fabric-Ideal-Xmas-Gift-/181932173478?hash=item2a5c00a8a6:g:lHQAAOSwYHxWM1Wd

Also got my ice packs which are the same as they used in hospital, from eBay. They've been a real life saver and big enough to cover my whole knee. They stay cold for ages.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111240992894?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Naively thinking I'd be able to return to working from home quite quickly, I bought a computer tray thing. It'll be ages before I'm ready to work but I use it for eating off for now.

broken link removed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121703109707?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I love eBay! :snork:

You can see people's signatures after their posts. Mine says Kate and the date of my op. Roy's lists his ops in chronological order.
 
They are all good ideas Kelpie you have been busy! I like the bath bench will get Mike to see if he can make one today, he is clever like that. I have been carrying a wash bag around with all my things in. Just get annoyed when I put things in one place so I have easy access to it & my boys move them to tidy up!! Sounds like what I do to them!!!! I have lots of the ice packs all diff sizes started with Ice but so messy. I use cool gel on leg at night it lasts longer ( called freeze from £ shop ) have taken off the compression socks couldn't stand them they were cutting into my leg, git flight socks now...not sure if this is the right thing to do.
 
I've taken my socks off too. I was only advised to wear it on my unoperated leg but they made the back of my knee sore. I put it on at night, for now anyway.
 
@"Roy gardiner couldn't find how to look at your sig?
:scratch: Look at any post of mine and at the bottom you'll see several lines, the first starting 'BTKR 6th Dec 2011' and that's my sig, links are from there.
 
On my phone I have to turn to the "landscape" view to see signatures.
 
Can't see any sig on anyone's posts???? 1st line has picture icons then under that time report next line +quote quote this msg quote in pm bookmark am I looking at the wrong part??
 
The signature is between what the person wrote and the little boxes that say Quote, Quote this Message etc.

Some people can't see them on their phones and I can't see them on my tablet (but I can on my laptop).
 
I can see them. I think Suemegane is having problems, perhaps on a phone. Maybe there's a technical thread somewhere that might be of help.
 
Can I assume I'm not alone with pain and discomfort, not to mention irritability getting worse in the evenings?:oyvey:
 
Can I assume I'm not alone with pain and discomfort, not to mention irritability getting worse in the evenings?:oyvey:
That's right, I'm afraid. All you can do at this stage is rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed.

Find some light-weight TV program to watch, walk to the bathroom and back, read a magazine, do a few ankle pumps, sleep. That's your job for now.
 
Thanks Celle, that's all I'm doing for now. Wildlife programmes are best as I don't have to try and follow a plot!

Having moved house recently, I have a new GP surgery that I'm not mad about. They decided HRT is a no no and refused to represcribe 6 weeks ago so I'm back to being plagued by hot flushes in the evening and through the night which doesn't help. For Novemebr, it's unseasonably warm here just now so we're back with the summer duvet and ceiling fan running all night. Bless my husband, he doesn't mind and gets up and opens and closes windows without a word. I am sleeping better than I was last week though which is an enormous relief.

Is codeine known for causing hot flushes? They seems to be very much worse since the op.
 
I don't know about Codeine, but your whole system ha had a shock because of the surgery and it's quite likely that your hormones are a bit wacky, too.
 
I am having the same thing kelpie, hot flushes. I'm also taking codeine & paracetamol. It seems to happen when leg is on fire & bedtime laying in one place.
 
Good morning @Kelpie I had the longest sleep last night, used cool gel instead of ice pack, lowered my leg by one pillow & took codeine before bed. Slept for 4 hours feel so good this morning. Mike has made a board like yours for bath so will try have shower today.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom