TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Dawn, Gilda and Patricia :thumb:

Dawn, I'm not really nervous about my check up next week, just eager to know what is definitely going to happen and pray that if anything does, it is before Christmas. I don't relish the idea of thinking all through the holiday that I have that procedure to come.

Patricia, I guess you mean ROM and not MUA (above)? Yes, will certainly keep you all updated.

I went to our GP surgery last night. The top end of my scar has always been rather red and a little tender, but on Sunday it became more tender and achey and developed a nasty type of blemish. I showed my PT yesterday afternoon and she thought it might be an internal suture that hasn't dissolved. The GP didn't know what it was, but pointed out it was good that it wasn't on the actual knee, so no worries about infecting the new knee. She prescribed me antibiotics to be taken for a week. She didn't want to prod it, but hoped to see more once the purple blister (or whatever it is) has cleared. Always something it seems, isn't there :gaah:

Kathryn had an internal stitch in my scar line that had to be 'dug' out. It healed fine after that

I can see a tiny bit of stitch sticking out of the scar in a couple of places. My boss keeps telling me to pull them out, I'm not sure if she is joking or not, but it turns my stomach so I leave them alone.

I wouldn't pull at the stitches, I had several and my OS said leave them alone they'll find their way inside, and they did. If you pull on them you could create an infection and no one wants that! :skep:

Yes Kathy meant ROM of course not MUA. Its weird you mentioned the scar. I had exacty the same thing and my OS said it was an extra stitch at the very top end of the scar. Mine was a funny colour and it was red around it. He said dont worry about it and since Ive been soaking in the bath it looks a lot better.

Kathy my PT told me that 110 is functional, meaning we can get by on that, the rest is gravy. I was trying to get my straightening to 0 but turns out my non op knee is at -5 so I probably wasn't even straight legged to start with. No wonder I'm a lousy dancer! I hope you get your MUA before Christmas...but even better i hope you become the Elastic Lass and get a flexy break through before then! How does the weather affect your knees? Is it damp and cold all the time? I am so curious how that works in England!

Patricia, yes that bit on your scar sounds like mine. Was yours also tender and a bit sore? I must admit I tend to have showers more than a bath, so maybe I should switch for the time being.

Marianne, that's interesting to hear that 110 ROM is functional. I couldn't bend my knee so that my foot touched my behind since my accident 30 years ago. But just getting it like it was, would be good.

Before my op the cold and damp weather would affect my knee, but since my op it doesn't. Maybe that's because I'm not going outside every day? We'll see, when I go back to work if the weather does have an affect.

Normal ROM at the knee is considered to be 0 degrees of extension (completely straight knee joint) to 135 degrees of flexion (fully bent knee joint).
Most functional activities require 0 to 117 degrees of motion at the knee.
Walking requires complete knee extension at heel strike and up to 60 degrees of flexion at the initiation of swing phase.

KathyH, how are you doing? How's the swelling? Just to let you know I am 8 weeks and a day and my best time is in the morning. That's when I get my best results. Afternoons I spend icing, elevating and doing stretches only. I understand, it's hard to get ROM with such bad swelling. My rom when I sit with my knee dangling off the edge of the bed is easily at 90 lying down flat, is another story and bending I only get 70-72. But you know it'll come. The OS was telling me the other day, 'You need to increase ROM, or you will have major difficulties', these are scare tactics, I mentioned he should take a look at the Bonesmart site...Haha. I believe that as long as you do physio everyday, not to the point where it's killing you, gently bending, stretching and strengthening exercises you will make progress. I was driving myself NUTS everyday worrying about it, now with the help of this marvelous site and the encouragement of others and learning that we are all different, has helped in my train of thought, to relax. I put on some spa music and calmly do my exercises at home, I go to Physio once a week for any new exercises and to see how I am progressing plus I have a good therapist who's understanding, I mentioned the Bonesmart site to him as well. I'll see if he took a peek on Friday...hehe

It will come..it sounds as though most of us seem to go through the same things.....I hope for you the BEST results and hey I am going to try some of those Lymphatic massage techniques myself!

Yes Kathy it was very sore and tender to touch. Even if i brushed it occidentally. Having the baths has took the redness away and its not painful at all. Maybe worth a go. Not saying it will definitely work but you never know. Take Care

I'm back.jpg
Hi! Kathy, been away for a couple of months. See you are progressing slowly--but some do. Sore around you scar---perfectly normal. That very front area of the knee where the incision was made is still tender to pressure 13 months post op and that area does not like to be bumped into---not painful, but really uncomfortable. Flexion (bend) also comes slowly for some---just have to keep working at it gently but regularly each and every day. I can finally after all this time walk down steps foot over foot like an adult with minor discomfort and can do a semi squat if necessary. It's only been three months---although I'm sure it feels like a lifetime---in another 3 months you'll be surprised how much more you will improve. Just hang in there---you'll make it. Take care.
1hugsmile.gif

Hang tough Kathy, all will resolve. Through my experience, I have come to the conclusion that it happens when it happens, even though I wanted to feel better sooner.

You seem to have the right attitude towards the knee and that will help you in the weeks to come. I hope that you can see that you are strong enough to handle whatever comes your way!

All good wishes for a wonderful day!

Dawn

Hi Kathy, Just catching up on post and see that you are having difficulty. Let's see, you had your LTKR the day before I did. My bend is about like yours, coming along very slowly. And the swelling, well, it does every day whether I am on it alot or very little. Guess we'll just have to move like turtles for awhile:sigh:. As far as knees touching the behind, it will not ever happen here. I couldn't do that years ago, so that is the least of my worries. I am still taking showers for fear that I won't be able to get out of the tub. I haven't even attempted to get down on the floor yet. Guess I'm just a wimp!! But you know what?...We WILL GET THERE!!! No doubt in my mind whatsoever. Hang in there girl. We are women, strong and invincible!! Hugs....Gilda

Hi Bottomshollow...I just adore your kitty cats!! The pics are so cute, especially the one you added that has it's mouth open and looking like it is having a great "belly laugh"...I love it!!

Hiya there everyone,
Please can anyone help me? I am 4 months past my LTKR and I am still in lots of pain and also my knee is clicking or knocking inside????? Its a horrible feeling and I can hear it as well. Will I be left with this or will it go. PLEASE HELP
Thanks Lynne

Hi Lynne, Are you still taking your pain meds, resting, icing, and elevating?..The clicking happens to alot of people. I haven't had any experience with the clicking, but I know that others have and may be able to talk to you about it.
We are here for you and will try to help in anyway we can. Hang in there and know we care!! Hugs, Gilda

THanks Gilda,
Oh I want this to stop I wake up every day praying it will not be there, but it is. I am 5 months passed my op now. Yes still trying to do all above. But want to get going so I can work again but its so painful still xxx Lynne

Oh, don't worry about that, Lynne. I have replied to your own thread.

I am really good in myself, thanks. I'm lucky that I don't suffer with pain, thank heavens. However, not so luck with the ROM, still only getting to 70 naturally and 75 when really pushed. My next check up at the hospital is next Thursday, when I guess they will be telling me I need the MUA. Don't mind that as long as it helps with the ROM.

I spend all day in Cambridge yesterday with my Mum, doing Christmas shopping. Apart from a little sit down to have a nice cappuchino each, we spend all day standing and walking. Although I was sooo tried when I got home, my knee didn't give me any problem at all and I am really grateful for that. So we have to take the rough with the smooth with our knees.

We are going down to my in-laws in Kent tomorrow. In the evening we are having our annual pre-Christmas family get together - about 35 of us this year, I'm told. It's being held at one of my SIL's houses and each couple takes their own drinks and different foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dkhip1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom