TKR Kate's Knee Knews

You have to be on them for longer than a few weeks or month to develop a problem. I had no problem at all. By month 3 I was taking a 5mg of oxycodone after PT after driving home. I still have oxy in my house and one in my purse from 2014. I am so happy my OS wasn't worried. Aside from the first 24-48 hours I wasn't in a lot of pain.
 
@KarriB Since you're an avid swimmer, do you think I should be able to at some point change my PT routine to water therapy? Or add some water exercise on my own? And since you swim laps, do you think the kicking puts more or less stress on the new knee? I've never been a lap swimmer but would like to give it a try, want to get in better shape and hopefully continue losing weight. Also, my 11-year-old granddaughter is a competitive swimmer and she's inspired me.
 
You didn't ask me, and I'm not an avid swimmer, but I am doing independent water therapy with exercises provided by my PT, who was most enthusiastic about me going this route.

I practiced some flutter kicks on Monday and didn't notice any adverse feeling -- decades ago when I tried swimming while my knees were acting up, it hurt to kick, so I discounted swimming as a viable exercise for me. I haven't had my right knee done yet, and it's hurt some since Monday, so the kicks may have been part of the problem. I'm going again tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. (I've wanted an Endless Pool for years, if I can swim without pain, maybe I can justify one to hubby....)
 
You didn't ask me, and I'm not an avid swimmer, but I am doing independent water therapy with exercises provided by my PT, who was most enthusiastic about me going this route.

I practiced some flutter kicks on Monday and didn't notice any adverse feeling -- decades ago when I tried swimming while my knees were acting up, it hurt to kick, so I discounted swimming as a viable exercise for me. I haven't had my right knee done yet, and it's hurt some since Monday, so the kicks may have been part of the problem. I'm going again tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. (I've wanted an Endless Pool for years, if I can swim without pain, maybe I can justify one to hubby....)
Great, thanks for the input! I'm thinking I may wait a week or two yet and then try to incorporate something. I just need to decide if I want to stick my current PT group, which has 2 therapists at a local health club with a pool, or switch to a different PT group that has therapists at the health club that my husband belongs to, and is closer to home. Right now I need to get my knee quieted down a bit, according to my PT, I have some bursitis in the bursa to the right of my left kneecap, extreme point tenderness there, sometimes even when resting. Seems like if it isn't one thing, it's another.
 
Another night of not being able to fall asleep. As long as I'm not too active, I don't have any pain while in bed, as long as I lie on my left side. Was just about to doze off and realized that my ice machine, while running, wasn't moving any cold water through the cuff. So, unplug the darn thing, separate the hose coupling and reattach, then wandered into the bathroom (no cane/walker!), then took another 1/2 pain pill because I'm having point tenderness to the right of my kneecap, singing pretty good right now. I'm hoping when I go back to the bedroom that my ice "cube" (my new BFF) will be working again.
 
My surgeon would not prescribe any narcotics when I left hospital. The protocol was paracetamol and codeine. I can't take codeine so was prescribed Tramadol. It's odd how protocols differ so much between doctors in the UK and the US.
 
Nope, my BFF has failed me, I'm in a lot of pain right now, more meds and try again to sleep. Don't know if the hospital that "gave" it to me when I was discharged will replace it or do something about it. I have no idea what I'll be charged for it, probably in the $300 range since they retail for around $200, but I expect it to last more than 16 days.
 
Wow that sucks! Definitely try to get it replaced. I don't have one and am relying on ice packs. Not so good in the middle of the night when you have to walk to the freezer to get a fresh one. I had a bad night. More pain than usual.
 
@SDkate my PTs and OS were very supportive (almost gleeful) when I asked when I could swim again. Because I don't swim indoors due to chlorinated air I couldn't swim until 7 months after my TKR. I had been biking 4 miles a day so there was good ROM. Even though I've been a lifetime swimmer I found it a little difficult to kick with my new knee, almost like learning again. I really had to build up to 20 laps over a few weeks, starting g at just 3, then 5, and so on until I got to 20. So it may be easier for you not being a typical swimmer. I also do stretches with both knees in the water as well as water walking.
My PT group has an aquatic facility, however they wouldn't let me use it after my infection (my OS and PT were cautious and I was ok with that).

A summer later I feel I'm kicking stronger than ever and my legs are propelling me more than my strokes. I find lap swimming very peaceful and cathartic. My non-surgical knee doesn't complain too much either. But a warning, when I started swimming last summer my TKR clicked with every stroke I took. I figured it was just due to the new motion and it eventually went away. It was weird, but no clicking this summer.

I don't think it can hurt but definitely don't expect too much early on.
 
Yes, gleeful is how I'd describe the PT's response to my question. They were all too happy to print out exercises and answer any questions I had about them. I copied them to a small sheet of paper as a reminder and put them in a sandwich bag to keep them dry poolside and weighted it with a washer. Then I found an album on my music collection that ran for sixty minutes with 14 songs. I got a water resistant Bluetooth headset. When the song changes, I move to a new exercise. I have to remind myself to take it easy, but it works very well. I started this as my outpatient PT was ending.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Nope, my BFF has failed me, I'm in a lot of pain right now, more meds and try again to sleep. Don't know if the hospital that "gave" it to me when I was discharged will replace it or do something about it. I have no idea what I'll be charged for it, probably in the $300 range since they retail for around $200, but I expect it to last more than 16 days.
Waiting for a call back from the specialty hospital where i had the surgery - the phone receptionist said that "those things have a short lifespan", meaning that the 16 days of use I got out of it is about all I can expect? They have a 6-month warranty, but evidently the motors tend to wear out with frequent use.

Okay, they just called back, are going to give me a new one, whew!
 
Another question for you guys – are pedicures OK after surgery? Or is there a risk of infection if they get too vigorous with the cuticles?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good question, @SDkate . I want to get a pedicure but not sure if it's too soon.
 
Wow! Glad they're replacing your ice machine. I waited a over a year for a pedicure, but I didn't want to infect anyone with my strain of staph. I think if you research and find a salon that cleans after every customer you'll be ok. My Infectious disease dr was ok with it.
 
Another question for you guys – are pedicures OK after surgery? Or is there a risk of infection if they get to vigorous with the cuticles?
I'd wait a while longer before having a pedicure. Slight though it is, there could be a risk of infection in the early days.
 
Find myself moving about my house more and more without my cane, except for going up the stairs to the bedroom and bath. My granddaughter came over this afternoon to visit and we had a good time - we made fudge and banana bread. She loves to cook and bake, and is a great all around helper. I think that I overdid it a bit, with all the baking was on my feet for about 3 hours, and tonight my knee is pretty stiff and sore. Lesson learned.

Have a busy day tomorrow, going to a local diner for breakfast with sister and a couple of aunts, kind of a Saturday morning ritual that I've missed for several weeks. Pick up a certified letter at the post office - the lazy delivery person didn't even come to the door to try to deliver it (we were home all day), just put the "signature needed" card in the mailbox. Then pick up a refill on pain med - not sure how much more I'll be needing it, but definitely want to have it on hand for the times I do! And if I don't see any action tomorrow, going to use some MiraLAX and camp out close to the BR. How's that for an exciting Saturday?
 
Standing in the kitchen cooking is killer! But sounds like it was worth it both for the treats and for the time spent with your granddaughter. Enjoy your Saturday!
 
Sometimes you need those days and don't mind paying the price for the next few days. I love going out for breakfast, just prop your knee up in a booth or on a spare chair to elevate your leg, then you won't pay the price for breakfast out. Very smart to have those pain meds on hand, just in case and you may need a few days of Miralax. At least I did and took it regularly until I was regular, if you know what I mean. Enjoy your breakfast tradition!
 
@SDkate yesterday I had a manicure and a half pedicure. No massage on the bad leg and only a polish change and cutting my nails shorter. After 8 weeks I still can't do my own feet. Talk to the person who will do your pedicure. I'm sure they will understand:flwrysmile:
 
@SDkate My PT group has an aquatic facility, however they wouldn't let me use it after my infection (my OS and PT were cautious and I was ok with that).
Was there a thought that using that facility, or any pool for that matter, may have caused your infection? Getting an infection is something that I'm almost paranoid about
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom