Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kate's Knee Knews

Kathi,
Wanted to share some advice for when you start traveling again:
- get a handicapped parking pass
- take advantage of wheelchair assistance in the airports
- take instant cold packs with you so you can ice in hotels
- on longer (1 hour) flights, consider wearing knee compression socks (TEDs)
- ASK for help with bags at hotels and airports
- consider getting new shoes as your gait post surgery may be different and older shoes might night fit as well

Good luck with your continued recovery!

Christa
 
Meant to add...

Generally you can get in a pool when the incision is completly closed and all the scab and steri strips are off.
 
@SDkate i don't think you need to worry about becoming addicted at this point. A few weeks of pain medications should not result in an addiction. I took oxycodone for more than a month and weaned off naturally as I just didn't need it anymore.
 
So glad you found some meds that work for you. Be careful not to overdo the PT in your effort to be back to work at the end of next month. Gentle and easy does it. I am three weeks out today, and an returning to work full time next Monday. But I have unusual support from my bosses and do not have the travel involved that you will. I think you will make it. You might just need to allow extra time after your arrival to rest, ice, and elevate before your training sessions. Good luck!
 
Also remember water exercise is easy to overdo early on. It is deceptively "easy." But even just gentle movement in the water does feel good.
 
If you feel that the meds are staying in your esophagus then eat a little something after and be sure to take a swallow of water before you put the pills in your mouth. I thought I was good with pills but when weak and in pain I don't swallow well. I kept a tube of crackers in my bedside table along with a water bottle for those early morning pain pills and would eat a cracker if those pills got stuck. I was prescribed nausea med from the get go and when I missed one I noticed!

I don't think addicted was the right word but I did have some withdrawal symptoms after a couple months of taking 10/325 Percocet. Even though I was only taking one a day for a good part of that time I needed to wean for a couple weeks by cutting pills into bits and so on and still had 'warm' flashes and a couple urgent bathroom trips. Nothing that made me want to take another pill. They weren't needed for pain management and they didn't help me sleep so farewell!
 
It seems that the 100 mg of Nucynta gives me a headache, so I have taken some of the 50 mg pills and cut them in half, thus getting a dosage of 75 mg, which seems to be adequate to control the pain, doesn't give me such a crazy buzz, and less headache. Will see how that works for a day or two. PT went well, really like my therapist.

Beginning to understand that this recovery is more of a marathon, and I'm all about instant results and instant gratification. Need to keep adjusting my expectations as I adjust my meds, sleep, positions, etc.

Thank you all for your advice, support, comments, and ideas. Maybe someday I'll be as helpful to other newbs!
 
You need to think about this recovery in weeks, instead of days. You'll have a good day, then a few bad days, feeling a set back. I found thinking and looking ahead in weeks helped me to realize this was a loooooonnnnngggg process and I needed patience (didn't always have it, but needed it).
 
This recovery sure teaches you patience.
 
Even the little things teach patience and perseverance. Dozed off for a bit in my living room chair and when I woke up, had to use the bathroom rather urgently. I have to either go up 6 stairs or down 6 stairs, and the one in the lower floor is a bit closer so headed for that one. Barely got sat down in time, but when I went to get back up, remembered that we don't have a riser on that toilet. There's a wall edge to grab with the left hand, but noting with the right. It took me 3 tries to stand up from that toilet. Things most people take for granted, like standing up from a toilet, took me about 5 minutes and 3 tries to accomplish.
 
I'm also itching to get out of the house more - the only place I've been since surgery is the PT office and my OS office, which are in the same building. I'm hoping my husband or daughter will take me to the grocery store tomorrow, and then maybe to Target, am running low on my favorite bottled water. Both stores have the little motorized carts that I can use. My husband seems to think I should be able to drive myself, but I don't think he realizes how loopy the pain med makes me, or he wouldn't want me on the road!
 
Hi @SDkate lots of ups and downs but you got this!! I had the same reaction to the meds. I used Maalox from CVS. I think was generic. That made a huge difference. Ya everything does taste yucky even coffee for me which is a major crime!!!! Lolol. Then my daughter came over and brought dinner. It was so yummy but she brought cookies and muffins and it is so interesting how THOSE taste good!! So good in fact I ate 4 cookies. So my hubby took them to work the next day and I told her thank you so much BUT we just can't have that stuff in the house!!!! Well time for another snooze...... I think the girls have quieted down!!!
 
Driving???? My OS didn't mention that. And honestly I am way not ready.
 
@SDkate It's not only too early for driving - it's really too early for supermarket shopping, too.
Can you make a list and ask your husband to do it for you?

It sounds as if he wan't prepared for you to need the necessary time to recover. You had major surgery and recovery will take a long time. Both of you will need to find reserves of patience.
 
@SDkate I'm with Celle, shopping is not the way to go if you need to get out of the house at this point in your recovery. Go out to lunch or dinner, less walking involved and you get sit in a booth with your leg up or visit a friend. You'll get out of the house, but still be off your leg. At week 4 I was just going to PT or Drs office and had major cabin fever.
 
Yes, my husband would absolutely get whatever I wanted at the grocery store. I might have to send an empty bottle with him to get the right type of water at Target, though ;)

He, in fact, has always done most of the cooking and most of the shopping for us, he's a way better cook than I (or I let him think that). Part of it is that I'm feeling cooped up, and the other part is I'm not sure exactly what I want until I'm there looking. I like to eat a granola bar when I take my meds, and last I looked there was about 8,327 different types and flavors of granola and protein bars. With my taster still off, some things taste better than others, needs to be a strong flavor or spice before I taste it.

He had back surgery in January, and I think he expected my recovery to be about the same as his; he's of the "man up" theory when it comes to pain, and tends to push the limits, not always listening to his doctor or his body.

Guess I'll have to see how the day goes ... going to try to get another couple hours of sleep.
 
You could use a motorized scooter/cart to be easy on your knee.
 
Definitely too early for driving. Motorized cart and Target or the grocery store. Maybe not both, but you can always wait in the car if both turns out to be too much. That's what I did. Listen to your body and "play"accordingly. Consider bringing your ice with you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I'm only two days behind you, @SDkate and I can't even contemplate leaving the house. It takes all my energy getting to the bathroom. I am desperate to get back to work but the pain and lack of function means that I am at least another two to three weeks away from that goal. I don't get my staples out until August 10 and that can't come quickly enough. Sounds like you are doing exceptionally well.
 
@SDkate Nd @cairistiona60 even with desk jobs I'm not sure how you could go back to work so early. I needed all 12 weeks of my sick leave and still went back part time. The energy drain was debilitating. My OS insisted on 6 weeks of part time before going back full time.
 
Back
Top Bottom